May 29, 201412 yr http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/47833/surprising-marlins-should-go-for-samardzija The Miami Marlins' season appeared to end -- at least their slim hopes for a spot in the postseason did -- on May 9. That was the game in which Jose Fernandez suffered a season-ending elbow injury in a 10-1 loss to the San Diego Padres. They have gone 20-16 after that defeat, pulling off a solid start for a team nobody expected to contend, the offense producing far better than expected. But how do you replace an ace, even a 21-year-old ace? And if you can't get Samardzija? Go give the Rays a call about David Price. It's late May and your team is a half-game out of first place, Jeffrey Loria. Do you want to win?
May 29, 201412 yr No. Don't do it. We don't have enough to get David Price, and we shouldn't give up what it will take to get Samardzija. Call up Heaney after the Super-2 deadline, bring DeSclafani back if Alvarez is hurt. I love this team and I've had more fun watching them this season than I have in a while, but giving up "the farm" still doesn't make us a playoff team. Enjoy it while it lasts, but let's at least wait until June ends before we're throwing the word playoffs around.
May 29, 201412 yr Yeah, if this team is the real deal it wont be because of an addition of David Price.
May 29, 201412 yr I would not trade Heaney Under any circumstances. If you can package Barnes, Disco, and another prospect for Price or Samardja- fine, then trade them the next offseason if you miss the playoffs for a hitter.
May 29, 201412 yr If you can package Barnes, Disco, and another prospect for Price or Samardja- fine, then trade them the next offseason if you miss the playoffs for a hitter. You're absolutely nuts if you think that'd be even close to getting it done.
May 29, 201412 yr You're absolutely nuts if you think that'd be even close to getting it done. Which is why it's prefaced by saying- "If you can.... "
May 29, 201412 yr It would take Heaney plus more to get either guy so yeah, this has nothing to do with Loria wanting to win or not. It'd be idiotic.
May 29, 201412 yr The article was okay until the nonsense about trading Heaney in a package for Samardzija. You knew then it was all bs. I'll be surprised if Heaney doesn't become a long term core member of the rotation. Just want to think Jose, Heaney, Rodon, Eovaldi and Alvarez.
May 29, 201412 yr This is akin to that season where people wanted us to include Stanton in a package for Manny.
May 29, 201412 yr No. Don't do it. We don't have enough to get David Price, and we shouldn't give up what it will take to get Samardzija. Call up Heaney after the Super-2 deadline, bring DeSclafani back if Alvarez is hurt. I love this team and I've had more fun watching them this season than I have in a while, but giving up "the farm" still doesn't make us a playoff team. Enjoy it while it lasts, but let's at least wait until June ends before we're throwing the word playoffs around. I actually think we should wait until after the all star before we start getting into trade talk. Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
May 29, 201412 yr This is akin to that season where people wanted us to include Stanton in a package for Manny. Really? I thought it was some pitcher that turned out to do nothing for us. Can't remember the pitcher's name though. Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
May 29, 201412 yr Really? I thought it was some pitcher that turned out to do nothing for us. Can't remember the pitcher's name though. Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk I believe Ryan Tucker was also in the deal if that's who you mean but there were people who wanted us to include Stanton for Manny and there was at least one rumored deal like that.
May 29, 201412 yr I believe Ryan Tucker was also in the deal if that's who you mean but there were people who wanted us to include Stanton for Manny and there was at least one rumored deal like that. Ah, yes. I thought he was the lynch pin holding the deal up. I remember the radio call-ins screaming how Ryan f**king Tucker was screwing us out of Manny. Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
May 29, 201412 yr Of course, that would've been bad if Stanton was part of that deal. Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
May 29, 201412 yr You're absolutely nuts if you think that'd be even close to getting it done. Yes but the cubs
May 29, 201412 yr I'd part with anyone BUT Heaney. Because you likely need Heaney AND that impact arm to make the post season, not just one.
May 29, 201412 yr I'd part with anyone BUT Heaney. Because you likely need Heaney AND that impact arm to make the post season, not just one. It would take Heaney + more so no trade happening for these fellas.
May 29, 201412 yr It would take Heaney + more so no trade happening for these fellas. I'm not sure it would take more than Heaney, but I also don't think giving up Heaney alone is worth it. It looks like the Jays and the Orioles are the 2 who want Smarge the most thus far. Heaney is the best SP prospect out of either of those farms imo (Gausman,Sanchez, Stroman).
May 29, 201412 yr Not to be a dick, but the Marlins record was 20-16 after that loss to the Padres, they havent gone 20-16 since. They have gone 8-9 after that loss.
May 29, 201412 yr Not to be a dick, but the Marlins record was 20-16 after that loss to the Padres, they havent gone 20-16 since. They have gone 8-9 after that loss. It's a solid point
May 29, 201412 yr There really shouldn't be any trades until July. Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
May 29, 201412 yr Even if we could magically get him for less than Heaney, I just dont think Samardzija is what pushes us to the playoffs. He's only the best pitcher on the Cubs... think about that. Being an ace on one team doesn't mean you're really an ace. See: Nolasco, Ricky.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.