2014 Marlins Trade Deadline

How do you feel about this deal? Not being sarcastic or anything, I am actually interersted in your opinion.

I'm not really sure yet. I have never been a Marisnick fan since the day the Marlins acquired him, so I don't mind getting rid of him. Despite the bad season, I would much rather test out Moran more to see if he can reach his upside than get this trio of guys with much more limited ceilings. Cosart and Hernandez are kind of meh to me. Cosart walks too much and Hernandez didn't really put up decent numbers until this season. Wates is intriguing but he seems kind of injury prone and I wonder if in the long term that will prevent him from fully utilizing his speed.

I'm lukewarm on the trade, at best. I'd be more pissed if I actually really liked any of the guys the Marlins gave up. It basically comes down to Moran, I guess. He's trending downward, but I think I'd rather gamble on his upside than have made this move.

How certain is it at this point that the Marlins deal Dietrich for a bullpen arm in the offseason? I think they would have traded him now if he weren't injured.

i just wish he was a competent 2b. he's an incredibly interesting bat at 2b as a lefty with power he just can't field.

Also wow i don't follow the astros or know what they are doing in-depth but those fans are absolutely pissed that they keep trading for more and more and more prospects in a never ending cycle.

Might not have any pitching but that lineup is gonna be good in a few years. But we've been there before

Really ? Seriously ? I have no idea why that would make a fan base upset, it's not like that ever happens here with the Marlins :rolleyes:

I can never figure out this team's strategy from month to month. You trade your 3rd baseman of the future for an OK starting pitcher? Plus you throw in a legit outfield prospect AND a decent draft pick from 2015? I'm not really sure why they think McGehee is the long-term answer when he's not exactly young. Plus he's batting like 50-60 points above his career average this season.

Obviously they think they're going to be contending next year, which I don't see yet. This team is still full of holes.

I'm also still operating under the assumption that they will once again table a Stanton extension for *reasons*.

Its amazing how similar Matt Dominguez is to Adeiny Hechavarria. Neither can hit, and while scouts rave about their defense, advanced metrics say they are both bad in the field.

I hated losing Dominguez when it happened due to the poor planning aspect of it, but overall, I am glad the the Dominguez and Hechavarria do not make up the left side of the Marlins infield.

He spent the majority of his time in the minors at 2b and was only in the OF with Houston because of their roster makeup

So basically Law is a bit misinformed. Any idea if he's a good second baseman? Apparently offense is not important as a MIF for the Marlins, good or bad (Hech/Dietrich).

On another note, lol at the Yelich/Marisnick love affair ending: Christian Yelich ✔@ChristianYelich

We had a good run buddy “@JSMarisnick: @ChristianYelich Well bud.... pic.twitter.com/yhh00HUO5O�

I am not sure how good or bad he is but with Altuve there he wasn't going to play there no matter how good he was

Fair point. Same situation for Marisnick and our OF, unfortunately, so swapping those two made sense as both will now get an opportunity.

Hernandez probably gets the start at 2B tonight. MLB Trade Rumors believes Marisnick will go right into the ML lineup for the Astros, as well. And Colin Moran being promoted to Double-A by the Astros immediately. Man, they're in a rush.

Garrett Jones, Marlins

If Miami hangs in the NL East race, they'll keep him. If not, he might be an interesting player for a contender, given his $5 million salary for the season and his .795 OPS against right-handed pitchers.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/post/_/id/7393

Jones mentioned as a possible trade candidate if we're out of the race going into Sept.

Dan Jennings, Miami Marlins

grade_bplus.jpg

Trades: Jake Marisnick, Colin Moran, Francis Martes and a post-first-round draft pick to the Astros for Jarred Cosart, Enrique Hernandez and Austin Wates.

Analysis: Jennings made one of the best deals at the deadline when he acquired Cosart from the Astros. Cosart has yet to develop to his full potential, but in time he should become a middle-of-the-rotation starter. In return, they dealt Marisnick, who was blocked by Stanton, Ozuna and Yelich in the Marlins' outfield, and Moran who I think is overrated. The Marlins continue to build one of the best young rotations in baseball.

Guest Vince0926

Garrett Jones, Marlins

If Miami hangs in the NL East race, they'll keep him. If not, he might be an interesting player for a contender, given his $5 million salary for the season and his .795 OPS against right-handed pitchers.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/post/_/id/7393

Jones mentioned as a possible trade candidate if we're out of the race going into Sept.

Well keep winning and don't trade him. He's needed.

Garrett Jones isn't a superstar but we have an upgrade over Logan Morrison signed for two years on a team that is close to being a borderline contender. At what point do we stop subtracting pieces? I don't want Jones traded unless we suddenly acquire a better major league ready first baseman. And u can't just say plug in Mark Canha or anything like that. Trading away and trading away and trading away doesn't work with a team like this. I'm not saying Garrett Jones is the ticket to our next world championship but trading him away isn't gonna do much for us.

Garrett Jones isn't a superstar but we have an upgrade over Logan Morrison signed for two years on a team that is close to being a borderline contender. At what point do we stop subtracting pieces? I don't want Jones traded unless we suddenly acquire a better major league ready first baseman. And u can't just say plug in Mark Canha or anything like that. Trading away and trading away and trading away doesn't work with a team like this. I'm not saying Garrett Jones is the ticket to our next world championship but trading him away isn't gonna do much for us.

It's addition by subtraction IMO. I honestly believe any combination of Bour/Jensen/Canha can equal Garrett Jones' offensive production, and better his defensive contribution, but that's just me. Remember that his deal next year jumps to $5 Mill, which equates to a bit of money when you can probably replace his production for the league minimum.

Not saying there's no risk, because you know what you have with Jones. But no risk, no reward.

It's addition by subtraction IMO. I honestly believe any combination of Bour/Jensen/Canha can equal Garrett Jones' offensive production, and better his defensive contribution, but that's just me. Remember that his deal next year jumps to $5 Mill, which equates to a bit of money when you can probably replace his production for the league minimum.

Not saying there's no risk, because you know what you have with Jones. But no risk, no reward.

Well said, now do u really think Mike Redmond and the Marlins FO will realistically use their first basemen the way you recommended? Realistically we're better off with Jones.

Well said, now do u really think Mike Redmond and the Marlins FO will realistically use their first basemen the way you recommended? Realistically we're better off with Jones.

I think if they had Bour and Jensen, or Bour and Canha, or even Bour and Baker, yes. They'd probably use them appropriately. The problem is I don't think they will move Jones to even consider those options, and as long as Jones is here they'll probably continue to use him against LHP too often.

I would love to see a Bour/Jensen platoon, though. Bour crushes RHP and Jensen crushes LHP. Canha has pretty even splits, and actually hits RHP better this year. I'd be all for him covering the corner IF/OF positons off the bench, getting as many spot starts as possible. Hopefully we see all three in September and they can show the FO a little bit of skills to earn some consideration for next years roster.