Haren's Future Still Unsure, Holy Crap Please Sign James Shields.

Duquette just updated his article on top landing spots for Shields. I contracted the blurbs for the other 4 clubs cuz fuck'em. Expecting 4 years and 70M. Guessing 3 years at 55-60 would be best scenario.

The 5 likeliest landing spots for Shields - http://m.mlb.com/news/article/108381710/jim-duquettes-5-likeliest-landing-spots-for-james-shields

By Jim Duquette/MLB.com | 52 minutes ago

The James Shields saga looks like it will come to a conclusion soon, with one report suggesting that a deal will happen by the end of the week.

There has been a lot of noise regarding who is "in" and who is "out" on Shields, including a report today that the Cubs are "kicking the tires" on the right-hander. Based on my recent conversations with executives and agents, I expect Shields to sign a four-year deal for $70 million or so. With that in mind, here's my updated breakdown of the 33-year-old right-hander's five likeliest destinations, ranked in order of likelihood.

1. Padres

2. Marlins

I keep hearing that Miami is very interested in Shields, and MLB.com's Joe Frisaro is reporting the same. Marlins GM Dan Jennings was with Tampa Bay's front office when the Rays drafted Shields, and most insiders agree that if the Marlins pull it off, it will be because of that bond and ownership's desire to extend their payroll for a top starter while Jose Fernandez recovers from Tommy John surgery.

3.D-Bakcs

4.Brewers

5.Atheletics

I'll be so disappointed if we don't get Shields.... We have a shot at it all, THIS year, if we get him.

I want Shields too but we have a shot this year without Shields too. The next several years as well. He is not a necessity, just a luxury.

What? How on earth is shields a luxury? You write as if we are almost guaranteed to make the playoffs.

Ive never guaranteed we make the playoffs without shields. He's a luxury because even with him we can't guarantee a playoff spot. Washington is amazing and there's no way to predict things like a bullpen meltdown, Stanton having a down year, a slump from any of our youth, Alvarez and Cosart returning to Earth, Latos being unhealthy, etc.

We're already a good team with playoff potential, Shields helps but doesn't make us a lock. Also, if we don't get him its not gonna change people's predictions on us.

I'll be so disappointed if we don't get Shields.... We have a shot at it all, THIS year, if we get him.

I want Shields too but we have a shot this year without Shields too. The next several years as well. He is not a necessity, just a luxury.What? How on earth is shields a luxury? You write as if we are almost guaranteed to make the playoffs.

Ive never guaranteed we make the playoffs without shields. He's a luxury because even with him we can't guarantee a playoff spot. Washington is amazing and there's no way to predict things like a bullpen meltdown, Stanton having a down year, a slump from any of our youth, Alvarez and Cosart returning to Earth, Latos being unhealthy, etc.

We're already a good team with playoff potential, Shields helps but doesn't make us a lock. Also, if we don't get him its not gonna change people's predictions on us.

So because we aren't guaranteed a playoff spot, we shouldn't sign him? Doesn't make sense.

Are you saying we shouldn't sign him because washington might completely flop this season leaving the marlins to win the division? Or since any other major contributor to this team might die, we shouldn't improve the team?

This team is good, but borderline playoff potential. Shields improves the team, and no player makes the playoffs a lock on any team. I don't give a fuck about people's predictions, do you?

No no no no you're totally misreading my words. I absolutely want Shields and do think we should get him and definitely think he can make us a better team. MiamiNative0722 above said "We have a shot at it all this year if we get Shields." and I was just saying even without Shields we still have a shot. In that scenario, if the question is do we need Shields for us to "have a shot"? Then in that case hes not a necessity. That's all. Now please sign him.

He's just about gone seems like.

Scott Miller of Bleacher Report reports that talks are heating up between the Padres and free agent right-hander James Shields.

Miller indicates that the talks between the two sides are gaining momentum and that the veteran hurler likes the idea of pitching in a Whale's Vagina. A move to the National League, and especially to the pitcher-friendly confines of Petco Park, would do wonders for Shields' fantasy value.

According to Scott Miller of Bleacher Report, James Shields and the Padres are believed to be at an impasse after several hours of negotiations.

Miller notes that the ball is now believed to be in Shields' court, indicating that the Padres have made their best and final offer. The veteran right-hander's market has been very slow to develop this winter, so he may need to lower his expectations and salary demands slightly.

Come on Jeffrey.

You don't spend $325 million on 1 guy and go into the season 1 player short. Man up. You have shitted on us for a decade (most of the time anyways).

Also, trade Haren and $5 million to San Diego if they want a starter, and trade Cishek anywhere for prospects. You can help deflect costs here (that and the lost pick are roughly $13-14 million).

Do it.