Tyler Kolek

I was worried about him since the day they signed him. I wasn't very pleased with that pick.

Granted he hasn't thrown very much, but based on the limited video I've seen, he seems like he has a lot of raw talent, but needs a lot of polishing on his command. He has a lot of upside, I suppose, put a lot of things need to fall into place before he reaches that potential.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/kolek-shows-plenty-potential-delmarva/

I posted this article in the minor league forum a while ago.  Thought I would re-post it here.  Too soon to worry.  They took away his slider and they are teaching him a 12 - 6 curve.  They are pretty much teaching him how to be a pitcher.  It's gonna take some time but he is very young and has an electric arm.  Also, from what I have read, a curve ball puts less stress on your elbow than a slider.  I think that's one of the reasons they are teaching him the curve.  I guess after Jose they are being very cautious with Kolek.  He should be fine long term.

I was worried about him since the day they signed him. I wasn't very pleased with that pick.

Granted he hasn't thrown very much, but based on the limited video I've seen, he seems like he has a lot of raw talent, but needs a lot of polishing on his command. He has a lot of upside, I suppose, put a lot of things need to fall into place before he reaches that potential.

Exactly. He's a huge potential guy. Basically Jose if all turns out right. But he's super, super, super raw. I didn't hate the pick of Kolek in regards to his talent, and I would've loved taking him if only Rodon wasn't available. But he was.

Anyway, this is going to be an ongoing discussion for years so I'm not going to get into it now. Lets get back to this discussion in 2019 to see if Kolek is near the majors at the point and how Rodon's major league career has progressed.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/kolek-shows-plenty-potential-delmarva/

I posted this article in the minor league forum a while ago.  Thought I would re-post it here.  Too soon to worry.  They took away his slider and they are teaching him a 12 - 6 curve.  They are pretty much teaching him how to be a pitcher.  It's gonna take some time but he is very young and has an electric arm.  Also, from what I have read, a curve ball puts less stress on your elbow than a slider.  I think that's one of the reasons they are teaching him the curve.  I guess after Jose they are being very cautious with Kolek.  He should be fine long term.

That basically confirms the concerns some of us have. The Marlins drafted a "project" rather than a pitcher. Sure, the potential is there, but it's hard for me to have much confidence in him at the moment. From the video I saw when they drafted him, fastball command appeared to be a big issue, so they need to teach him that too.

Hated the pick the second they picked him with Rodon on the board.  Not only do we now have to wait 5 years for potential development, but we have to baby him along the way.  Rodon was already throwing 100 pitches per start in college and doesnt need to be babied.  

But we're the marlins.

The Marlins did the same thing with Jose in 2012, limiting him to 5 innings per start regardless of pitches thrown. I feel more confident about Kolek than I do this years #1.

and that was stupid too.  i can't stand the babying of pitchers that we do in the minors.  and btw Jose was not limited to 5 innings per start in 2012.  Kolek wouldn't be either if he was pitching better.

and that was stupid too.  i can't stand the babying of pitchers that we do in the minors.  and btw Jose was not limited to 5 innings per start in 2012.  Kolek wouldn't be either if he was pitching better.

He did during his time with Jupiter, he did make a few starts more than 5 innings with the Grasshoppers, so we're both correct.

I'd rather him not try to incorporate a 12-6 or any breaking pitch at all. With his velocity, you could get the same effect from a sharp splitter and a changeup without the unnecessary extra stress on the arm.

Splitters depend a good amount on hand size, but I'm sure he'd be able to do that. Regardless, a splitter could be good, yes, and I agree on the change-up; however, I think having a couple of breaking pitches is fine, too, as long as he doesn't use them a lot. Use them as an out pitch, not a get-ahead pitch [like Jose uses his breaking pitches]. Granted, it's nice, but if Kolek develops that change-up, he could go on between the fastball and change-up to get ahead.

Works for me!

He did during his time with Jupiter, he did make a few starts more than 5 innings with the Grasshoppers, so we're both correct.

That is correct, but that is because he was going deep into games in Greensboro increasing his innings total.  Kolek can't get past the 5th