Should the Marlins make a run at Cespedes?

Admin

Should the Marlins make a run at Cespedes?   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Marlins make a run at Cespedes?

• Yes 
    • No 

There is where @MarlinsLou is needed.

The all in-house team is approximately $65-68 depending on how arbitration plays out and how much that veteran 1B/3B costs.

Realmuto

Bour

Gordon

Hech

Prado

Yelich

Ozuna

Stanton

Ichiro

Dietrich

Rojas

Veteran 1B/3B

-

T. Telis

Salty (Dead Money)

Yankees (Prado Money)

Fernandez

Alvarez

Koehler

Phelps

Cosart

Nicolino

Ramos

Capps

Dunn

Morris

Barraclough

Hand

Ellington

DFA/FA - McGehee, Crow, Mathis, Kelly

Total

We are trying to sign Dee long term and would possibly backload it some lowering his 2016 commitment.  Keep that in mind.

I wouldn't want to backload that deal too much. Pay him while he is worth it and before that Stanton contract kicks in. I am assuming the Gordon deal is going to be 4-5 years?

Personally, I would dump Koehler, Hand, Dunn (subtract $7 million) and bring in younger lefties to compete with Conley for the LHP bullpen slots. Push Phelps to the bullpen and send one of Barraclough/Ellington/Urena/whoever back to the bullpen.

That's roughly $59 million, and the team would need:

-Guy who hits LHP to help Bour, can be bench variety (why didn't they claim Valencia???)

-Lefty SP

-Right SP, one of them needs to be of the #2/3 variety, the other can be a 3/4 innings eater. This would shape the rotation Fernandez, Lefty, Righty, Cosart, Nicolino, and Alvarez mid-season, Phelps/Urena swingman for spots.

-Two lefty relievers, one of which should be Conley, the other they can figure out with said Koehler/Dunn/Hand moves. Clean them out and bring in the youth. They have run their course here.

Assuming the lefty relievers are league minimum (add $1 to $60 overall), that one of the SP will likely be in the $5-7 range and the veteran bat likely in $2-3 range (add $7-10, so $67-70 overall), any amount of $67-70 should be used for the best SP possible. I am thinking Kazmir on a 3 year deal around $12-14, or Samardzija on a one year prove it for the same. Total payroll is around $80 if they are clever, maybe there is a Gordon/Hech buyout, or they DFA Alvarez. Looks good on paper. They just have to get two real SP and spot putzing around. 

Also a good opportunity to mention they didn't draft Rodon.

Alvarez I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's non-tendered. If we do pay all those estimates which I assume are accurate since Lou always nails them...

It puts us at roughly 61 million and we may still trade Ramos and/or Morris too.  With payroll estimates at roughly 90 million, we can spend around 30 million.

Always on point @MarlinsLou !

If they Non-tender Alvarez and Phelps that is about $7.25 million off the bat. Bring it down to just under $60 million. If Payroll is projected to be $80-85 million then that give us decent room to get some stuff. Who knows maybe Loria says open it up a little more and we go to $90-95 million.

I think that's a really bad idea. They should keep Alvarez and Phelps. Phelps is a perfect 4th RHP out of the bullpen/6th SP and he is cheap and controlled. Alvarez is really good when he's healthy. He is worth that $4 million gamble to come back, and hopefully be ready for a contract year blowout in 2017.

How about Loria spends $80-85 million on the ball club and just jettisons the dead weight? Operate like a franchise trying to win. If Pelfrey and Lincecum are their FA signings, riot.

Alvarez I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's non-tendered. If we do pay all those estimates which I assume are accurate since Lou always nails them...

It puts us at roughly 61 million and we may still trade Ramos and/or Morris too.  With payroll estimates at roughly 90 million, we can spend around 30 million.

If they are going to spend $90, you ditch Koehler and Phelps, field the lefties in house, and you have $30 million to spend on two SP and a bat to help Bour, with keeping Alvarez.

Kazmir for 3, Samardzija for 1, whoever to help Bour. Easy money under $30 in free agency for that.

I distinctly remember being told during the year last year or maybe even earlier this year by some of you that cespedes isn't good and is pretty average.  He's not worth what he's gonna get this offseason but what happened to those people?

Nearly everyone here is against them signing Cespedes based on replies and ignoring the poll numbers.

Nearly everyone here is against them signing Cespedes based on replies and ignoring the poll numbers.

Im not saying they are, i just remember people last year arguing he wasn't good and was overrated. Even compared him to some ridiculous comparison of outfielders.  ill try to find it.

I think that's a really bad idea. They should keep Alvarez and Phelps. Phelps is a perfect 4th RHP out of the bullpen/6th SP and he is cheap and controlled. Alvarez is really good when he's healthy. He is worth that $4 million gamble to come back, and hopefully be ready for a contract year blowout in 2017.

How about Loria spends $80-85 million on the ball club and just jettisons the dead weight? Operate like a franchise trying to win. If Pelfrey and Lincecum are their FA signings, riot.

Reason why I say that is I don't see them hanging on to both Phelps and Koelher. Just seems the Marlins are more high on Koehler. They might try to shop Phelps. Alvarez would be an excellent gamble, but this is the Marlins we are talking about. They don't want to just pay the guy if he isn't active pitching. Honestly that is a toss up decision. Kazmir would be a nice addition and I think keeping Conley at least in the bullpen builds depth. Morris looks like an arm they might trade and Dunn needs to go.

If we can go into the Winter Meeting with $25-30 million we will be okay.