Should the Marlins make a run at Cespedes?

Admin

Should the Marlins make a run at Cespedes?   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Marlins make a run at Cespedes?

• Yes 
    • No 

Guest Vince0926
Vince is in the closet

as a Mets fan

I did tell my dad actually that thanks to my experiences at citi field, mets are officially my second favorite team. I give my culture of winning ranking to them a 5.8/10. Thats first place in the nl east.

Guest Vince0926
Ramos and Morris may be traded, Koehler could be but is less likely. All 3 are worth tendering because they'd be lost for nothing otherwise

Hendy isn't going to be able to pitch until AT LEAST May and team is considering allocating dollars better

No no you tell them bring henderson back. Geez this team. Mattingly era sucks so far. Just sayin'. I mean come on...HAND is still here.

Difference between spending and spending wisely. Loria has spent in the past but stupidly.

Understood. But I said this scenario is better than not spending.  You heard samson, they are not going multiple years on a pitcher which means we are not getting a "stud" pitcher.  Signing a power bat to put behind stanton and in front of Bour is the next best choice.  Stanton took less money the first couple of years so Loria would have payroll space for additions.  Sure, Cespedes will get more than he deserves, but it's either that or nothing. Yo, a 1-5 of Dee, Yeli, Stanton, Cespedes, and Bour (platooned) has some serious run scoring potential.  Round that out with Prado, Hech and JT and that is actually a pretty decent lineup.  So yeah, you're right, it might not be the wisest way to spend the money, but it is definitely better than staying put IMO.  Anyone know where we are more than likely going to be payroll wise this year after some estimated arby figures?

Guest Vince0926
Understood. But I said this scenario is better than not spending.  You heard samson, they are not going multiple years on a pitcher which means we are not getting a "stud" pitcher.  Signing a power bat to put behind stanton and in front of Bour is the next best choice.  Stanton took less money the first couple of years so Loria would have payroll space for additions.  Sure, Cespedes will get more than he deserves, but it's either that or nothing. Yo, a 1-5 of Dee, Yeli, Stanton, Cespedes, and Bour has some serious run scoring potential.  Round that out with Prado, Hech and JT and that is actually a pretty decent lineup.  So yeah, you're right, it might not be the wisest way to spend the money, but it is definitely better than staying put IMO.  Anyone know where we are more than likely going to be payroll wise this year after some estimated arby figures?

Last year at this time, we were jazzed with morse being the cleanup hitter.   Guess what? Gordon was the only consistent guy from april-june. Stanton(hand), morse(something), and yelich (back) hurt us big. Hell i thought mcgehee would at least propel us to a .500 year and that didnt happen. Which by the way, i dont want to see him back if we could get consistency from somebody else. This is why big contracts are so risky. Hosmer, zobrist, escobar, cain. These guys arent superstars but are consistent enough to win. These are the types of people i want. Guys that wont command a whole boatload of money but can be super effective. This is why i would like guys like jordan zimmerman and heyward here...if they dont cost a ton.

Last year at this time, we were jazzed with morse being the cleanup hitter.   Guess what? Gordon was the only consistent guy from april-june. Stanton(hand), morse(something), and yelich (back) hurt us big. Hell i thought mcgehee would at least propel us to a .500 year and that didnt happen. Which by the way, i dont want to see him back if we could get consistency from somebody else. This is why big contracts are so risky. Hosmer, zobrist, escobar, cain. These guys arent superstars but are consistent enough to win. These are the types of people i want. Guys that wont command a whole boatload of money but can be super effective. This is why i would like guys like jordan zimmerman and heyward here...if they dont cost a ton.

Well yeah, that's like saying you want guys like Jose Fernandez.  They aren't expensive yet because they haven't been given the chance to be.  Other than Zobrist (cause of age), all of those guys will one day be overpaid.  It is the nature of baseball right now. Also, injury to Stanton and Yelich has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Cespedes should be signed.  If anything, the real fear of losing stanton is more reason to bring in a power bat.  And as I said before, Morse and Cespedes are not the Same player.

The only people who thought that were you and Casey McGehee's mom, and even she had her doubts.

Didn't see this posted but this is from Barry Jackson yesterday afternoon.

WEDNESDAY BUZZ COLUMN

Baseball free agency starts in the next week, and the Marlins simply must reverse a disturbing pattern.

While they’ve made some good trades, they’re on a disconcerting cold streak with offseason signings; most of their top free agent additions in the past several years weren't longterm (and in most cases, even short-term) solutions --- Heath Bell, Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Garrett Jones, Michael Morse, John Buck, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Rafael Furcal. All except Reyes and Buehrle were busts.

Their best signing, Casey McGehee, faded after four good months and was traded last winter, then returned this summer and hit .182 here after the Giants released him.

Michael Hill, the Marlins’ president/baseball operations, said none of this will make the Marlins gun-shy about spending in free agency. “When they don’t work out, you take a step back and see why they didn’t work out because we don’t want to repeat a mistake,” Hill said.

Marlins president David Samson said “we have full belief in all of our baseball guys who work for Mike --- and Mike” but “you can’t deny that we’ve made some mistakes. We made the wrong decisions about the people surrounding our core. So we're going to have [some] new players. There’s one team that can deal with mistakes and cover them up. There used to be three or four. Now it’s just one: the Dodgers.”

The offseason mission is clear: “We need pitching,” Samson said. “Love the core we have of position players. You look at the NL East; this is our time. We have three of the top 10 players in baseball [Giancarlo Stanton, Jose Fernandez, Dee Gordon]. Maybe we're wrong. But we feel that way.

“[but] we need to get better pitching. We’ll figure out how to do it. We have to do it in a way where we lose as little money as possible. We are spending time trying to raise revenue. We’re trying to do a [stadium] naming rights deal which we hopefully will have by the beginning of next season, certainly by 2017. We’re trying to do a TV deal that we’ve been working on for years. We’re trying to sell more tickets. Our season tickets are up.”

Samson, who has already publicly ruled out pursuing the most expensive free agent pitchers, said the Marlins have challenged their baseball people “to tell us who on that list of 80 free agent pitchers,… which five guys are going to win 13 games and outperform their contracts.”

They are willing to spend $5 million to $12 million annually for a pitcher and might consider going to $15 million for the right one, but likely no higher. Texas’ Yovani Gallardo would be an interesting option in the high end of that range.

The lineup will remain the same unless Marcell Ozuna is traded; owner Jeffrey Loria has been down on him. Cleveland has interest in Ozuna and has young pitching to offer in return (Danny Salazar and Carlos Carrasco are among those who reportedly could be in play in trades). The Marlins likely would sign two starting pitchers if they keep Ozuna, one if they deal Ozuna for a pitcher.

“Ozuna has to commit himself to the game,” one veteran National League scout said. “He does so many things wrong. He doesn’t always concentrate defensively. He has to watch his weight, learn the strike zone. I would trade him if I could because I don’t know if he will get it."

Though several teams have inquired, the Marlins prefer not to trade third baseman Martin Prado, a respected team leader who finished the season strong. The Yankees will again pay $3 million of the $11 million he’s owed next season.

Though the Marlins have given thought to pursuing a closer, they’re more inclined to spend their money on starting pitcher, and an outfielder if Ozuna is traded. “AJ Ramos, you look at his numbers, he was a good closer,” Hill said.