New Spring Training Cap

jsprt14

That's not teal, its the same ocean shade of blue on the bottom of the M on their regular cap.

I don't like this cap for game use.

It's an awkward recoloring, it looks like a Marlins logo in neon lights on the wall of a bar or a strip club. They've also added two new lighter shades of orange to the logo, three shades of orange altogether. I think we can all agree more colors isn't what the Marlins need.

It could be a decent fashion type of cap that some clown would buy in the mall to match his neon orange Nikes and his neon orange shirt, but it doesn't look like something I'd like the team to wear on the field. It's gonna clash tremendously with every jersey the team wears as obviously the cap logo will be completely different than the logos on the rest of the uniform.

If you like the cap buy one and enjoy it but I hope the team doesn't actually stick to wearing this.

That's not teal, its the same ocean shade of blue on the bottom of the M on their regular cap.

I don't like this cap for game use.

It's an awkward recoloring, it looks like a Marlins logo in neon lights on the wall of a bar or a strip club. They've also added two new lighter shades of orange to the logo, three shades of orange altogether. I think we can all agree more colors isn't what the Marlins need.

It could be a decent fashion type of cap that some clown would buy in the mall to match his neon orange Nikes and his neon orange shirt, but it doesn't look like something I'd like the team to wear on the field. It's gonna clash tremendously with every jersey the team wears as obviously the cap logo will be completely different than the logos on the rest of the uniform.

If you like the cap buy one and enjoy it but I hope the team doesn't actually stick to wearing this.

Yeah, I see what you are saying, but this hat is just for Spring Training... and it seems like they re-boot all the ST garb every year or two, so you won't have to see it much.

Joe frisarios reply to a guy that asked if they would wear them any during the year.

@eadsira  smh, Repeat "Spring Training"

Smart ass strikes again and as I reminded him, "Batting practice" hats and jerseys are worn regular season too.

and another guy also responded

@eadsira  mlb.com article says teams can wear new spring cap during season too. They may not choose to do so but they can.

Joe frisarios reply to a guy that asked if they would wear them any during the year.

@eadsira  smh, Repeat "Spring Training"

Smart ass strikes again and as I reminded him, "Batting practice" hats and jerseys are worn regular season too.

and another guy also responded

@eadsira  mlb.com article says teams can wear new spring cap during season too. They may not choose to do so but they can.

I was the last response because Joe was wrong. Teams can wear these throughout the season and some have already said they'll do so. Of course it's optional and some teams still won't wear it but they do have that option. So Joe was wrong to imply that the guy was being silly for asking if they could be worn during the season.

My biggest problem with the cap isn't the cap itself. It's supposed to be a spring training cap worn with a specific spring training jersey, which, as you can see in the picture above, for the Marlins that spring training jersey is their regular black alternate but with a spring training patch and a variation on the numbers and lettering on the back. 

The problem with that? The cap and the jersey logos don't match. If they're gonna recolor the M logo on the cap they should have recolored it on the jersey as well. They didn't so it's a clashing mish mash of design elements.

In the picture above the Braves also have it wrong (the Hank Aaron era lowercase a with the more modern braves script that belongs to the capital A) and the Mets actually did it right. Notice how the Mets put the Mr Met logo on the sleeve to make it match with the cap.

I know I'm one of the few on here who actually has strong interest and opinions on uniform art and design elements so some of you may not care but these are just a few of my opinions on these new uniforms.

I was the last response because Joe was wrong. Teams can wear these throughout the season and some have already said they'll do so. Of course it's optional and some teams still won't wear it but they do have that option. So Joe was wrong to imply that the guy was being silly for asking if they could be worn during the season.

Sweet I normally let his crap go but I know my uniforms for the most part so I wasn't passing up the opportunity.

They will be on clearance in Ross at the end of the season

This always happens with the ASG hats every year on MLB.com. But honestly, what's the point in really owning a special ASG hat from a random year like 2008 when Dan Uggla made three errors.

I can understand having patches on World Series hats, but MLB's merchandising gets a little petty when they start selling a new $35 hat for every occasion one can think of.

Just think that the Marlins best spring training combination lasted for several years (all teal jersey, black hat). This lasted all the way from the beginning until about 2002. After that, MLB started adding new jerseys every year or two in a desperate measure to cash in. The funny thing as that they were all inferior to the old days and mediocre at best.

You guys are right about the absurdity of all these gimmicky special event caps and jerseys (we haven't even really discussed that our spring training jersey is "new" too) but they're not going anywhere because business is business and money wins out over trying to stop financial gimmicks.

But if they're gonna do these things they should at least do them right as far as design and aesthetics. Sometimes they do but there's plenty of times they're done horribly. 

Why does the Marlins jersey have an AZ patch? We switch to Cactus League?

I know this was already answered above as a mistake but these are the things that aggravate me. There's someone or a team of people in charge of digitally putting those patch images on the jersey images, they basically have one job, and they get it wrong.

How hard is it to Google a list of which teams play in Arizona and which play in Florida to get it right?

Mistakes like that in something related to something as large scale and profitable as Major League Baseball shouldn't happen.