February 21, 201610 yr With hand, jackson, urena waiting in the wings should an injury occur, how can you expect a winning season right now. This is why a number 3 should have been a priority immediately after signing chen. Tim Lincecum.
February 21, 201610 yr Lincecum may happen still... Makes no fucking sense at all. Their pitching after the 3 hole (which should be the 5 hole) is why they wont win dick. They have a 1, a 3 and a 5 in their rotation now.
February 21, 201610 yr I expect the team to play better than expected, finishing right around .500 just enough to convince Loria that the team is just a few players (players of the calibre of Mike Morse, Mat Latos and Dan Haren those type players) away from being a championship team in 2017
February 21, 201610 yr What is there to be excited about, Admin? We have a well below average starting rotation headed by a pitcher who's often injured. We have a potentially above average lineup headed by an outfielder who's often injured. We only have one legit threat to hit 35 HR and a bunch of slap hitters. We have no one coming up in the minors. And we have the worst owner ever. And you expect me to be excited about the near-promise of another season without playoffs?
February 21, 201610 yr Edwin Jackson. Edwin bleeping Jackson's gonna get a minimum of 20 starts this season. Let that horrific thought linger for a while.
February 21, 201610 yr Sky is falling Sky fell a long time ago. Most around here pretend not to notice.
February 21, 201610 yr Sky fell a long time ago. Most around here pretend not to notice. You're right, we all think the team will win 100 games.
February 21, 201610 yr Obviously not. Some here have suggested around 75 wins is a likely outcome and I'm inclined to agree.
February 21, 201610 yr Obviously not. Some here have suggested around 75 wins is a likely outcome and I'm inclined to agree. Fair enough, your previous post seemed to paint the gloomiest pic ever. Its not right to be crazily optimistic (I'm not) and the opposite would be just as wrong IMO.
February 22, 201610 yr Will the culture of losing mantra continue??? Stay tuned. 79 wins but I hope 92
February 22, 201610 yr I hope 100 wins. I also hope I win the next Powerball. Hoping don't account for much round these parts.
February 22, 201610 yr we win 15 a month and we can make it. that means taking series, winning on the road, defending the house, decent starting pitching. I don't see it but hey...gotta play the games, right?
February 22, 201610 yr we win 15 a month and we can make it. that means taking series, winning on the road, defending the house, decent starting pitching. I don't see it but hey...gotta play the games, right? THIS !!
February 22, 201610 yr I'd say between 76 and 84 wins depending on injuries, players outperforming/underperforming projections, etc... Not a playoff team in most scenarios, but not a complete push over. The biggest problem is the farm system provides no leeway for failure among the major league talent. Any injuries or general underperforming at any position and we're sh*t out of luck at that spot. We have some starting pitching depth, but not exactly guys who can put up ERA's in the 3's if called upon towards the end of the rotation. The bigger issue will be the starting lineup. No minor league players are even close to be considered major league starters, so an injury to guys like Yelich, Hechavarria, Gordon, etc... and we have absolutely no good contingency plans. Poor trades, poor drafting, and unwillingness to spend money in a variety of ways (free agents, spending in the draft, international free agents, etc...) has left this team in a really bad position moving forward. The depth isn't bad on this team...it's completely non-existent. With that said, I'd be willing to bet we're close to being in the low 70 wins again than we are to being in the mid 80 wins.
February 22, 201610 yr Isn't every team hoping at this point? Isn't every team an injury or two away from turmoil? Point is that worse teams than ours at this point have achieved more. I always look backed to 2003 as my guiding light on these matters and until the first piece of sky hits my head I don't bother looking upwards.
February 22, 201610 yr Isn't every team hoping at this point? Isn't every team an injury or two away from turmoil? Point is that worse teams than ours at this point have achieved more. I always look backed to 2003 as my guiding light on these matters and until the first piece of sky hits my head I don't bother looking upwards. Yes, but not to the extent of the 2016 Marlins. A lot of teams have excellent prospects who can step in at the first instance of injury or ineffectiveness. We don't have any of that. Our starting rotation, with all members healthy, is pretty bad. Add an injury or two and you have Jose Ureña starting MLB games, a guy with similar skills as a beer league softball player. Our outfield is great, but one injury means a geriatric Ichiro becomes a starter. Our infield looks solid, but one injury there makes Don Kelly, Miguel Rojas, or Derek Dietrich a starting middle infielder. IF no one gets hurt, we have a chance. If ONE player gets hurt, that chance may fly out the window and into the sky, which will then proceed to fall.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.