Payroll increase won't come until 2020, if then?

SilverBullet

Jeter and Sherman plan to keep payroll down in 2019 as well but want to start raising it in 2020 if they can start increasing revenue by then...

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article184371948.html

...if the team is losing so much money now, I don't see how they can increase revenue within 2 years with anything other than on-field success.

This could be a rough ride for a while.

If payroll increasing is dependent on revenue which is dependent on attendance then they'll need to find a way to increase attendance before they can create a winning product on the field and that's where I'm lost on their plan. 

Winning is not necessarily a function of payroll.  If they build the team the right way like the cubs, astros, yankees, etc, they will have a very good, young, consistent winning, cost controlled team, and that is really all fans want.  This team can trade away everyone, if it leads to a winning team fans will come out.

Winning is not necessarily a function of payroll.  If they build the team the right way like the cubs, astros, yankees, etc, they will have a very good, young, consistent winning, cost controlled team, and that is really all fans want.  This team can trade away everyone, if it leads to a winning team fans will come out.

He knows that but they won't have a winning club in 2018 and likely not in 2019 either so attendance will be poor

He knows that but they won't have a winning club in 2018 and likely not in 2019 either so attendance will be poor

We'll obviously have to see what we get for this sell off, but I think this next year will be poor by design, with some signs of really good young talent both at the major and minor league level if we get the market value in this sell off.  Then, I think 2019, again obviously depending on how good of value they get for guys like Ozuna, Straily, Stanton, Bour, etc, could be a year where we hover either just below or just above .500, and then if we do it right 2020 should be a year where we start upticking towards playoff contention.  

I think this is a situation that is much better than those were to start for the cubs, white sox, astros, etc.  This can be done right and can be done in a way in which we dont spend a prolonged amount of time in number 1 pick territory.  Whether we do it right remains to be seen, but I dont think there is any doubt we have much more talent on the roster than any of those teams started with. 

I think baseball is the one sport that if you stick to that rebuilding philosophy and do it right, you will end up seeing positive dividends.  NFL is very hard to rebuild because it is so QB dependent, and the NBA is so lottery pick oriented, but in MLB it is pretty much guaranteed that if you get the most for your assets at the start of a rebuild (of which we have much more than the typical rebuilding team), invest in the draft, IFA and player development, and stick to the plan, you will see dividends in the course of 2-3 years.  I think we have a lot of good assets that we can get significant prospects for, and if we couple that with proper draft and IFA investment, this will be one of the brighter teams in 2-3 years.  As much as it sucks for fans like us though, we need to realize that doing that is the right thing to do.  I know its tough to ask for 2-3 more playoffless years, but just think of the positive of having a consistent contender like other rebuilding teams if this is done right.

This team can trade away everyone

You just agreed with me @fish20, I said they won't have a good team in 2018. Whether its by design or not, that's the point. If fans there only care about wins, then the attendance won't be there regardless of the plan.

i was agreeing with you, just expounding on the point.  They just cant care about attendance for a year and a half or so.  If they do it right, the benefits of a rebuild should be seen/felt in a year and a half or so.  I know its hard for new owners to not care about that for a year and a half, but thats what they have to do if they want to do it right.

More proof of incompetence. According to the herald article, they believe attendance will rise because Jeter is more popular than Loria. 

This is why someone from Miami needed to buy this team. 

They better draft really well because Jeter could cure cancer and Miami won't give a shit unless he can field a consistently competitive team. 

More proof of incompetence. According to the herald article, they believe attendance will rise because Jeter is more popular than Loria. 

This is why someone from Miami needed to buy this team. 

They better draft really well because Jeter could cure cancer and Miami won't give a shit unless he can field a consistently competitive team. 

That’s the dumbest thing ever. We’ve been down this road before, with John Henry. He was such a baseball fan, and much more popular than Huizenga, and we had high hopes. Then he refused to keep players and came within a hair - a Loria decision to move to Florida rather than stay in Montreal - of getting us moved to Washington. Jeter was a great player, but if they do any of this I’m an ex-season ticket holder. They didn’t exactly treat us that great anyway and it’s not like tickets won’t be available at Dollar Store prices most days.

The most comparable recent TV deals are probably the Twins (12 years $480 million in 2012) and Indians (10 years/$400 million in 2013).  The Reds signed a new 15 year deal last year, but I haven't been able to find the amount online...but based on the Indians and Twins deals signed 5 years ago, it's safe to assume the Marlins deal will at least be a minimum of $40 million.  Given the market size, I don't think getting more than that is an unreasonable expectation.  

That's because the Dodgers have 100% ownership of their network whereas the Marlins have 0%.

The Marlins will not remotely get close to $300+ million annually. It's most likely going to fall within the $40-60 range, but probably on the lower end.

The majority if not all of the TV revenue just goes directly to the team right? We may be on the lower end but at this point it seems like any increase of revenue there will help.