Yelich: Fernandez death led to Miami teardown

SonOfJack

I think Loria still tries to bail after the 2017 season and starts looking to sell the team. He never wanted to be around IMO for that Stanton contract to start kicking in. Jose Fernandez was an amazing talent but he had Scott Boras and he was gonna get paid regardless of what reports said. Even if he does take a discount like his lawyer went on to say after his death it would still a be substantial amount with him and Stanton on the same payroll.

Our chance to compete was 2016/2017. Granted the tried one more time again in 2017, which is why I don't understand fans being upset to give it another go in 2018. 

IMO we started screwing things up with the off season trades of the Reds for Latos and the Padres trades for Rodney and later on Cashner.

It could be argued that we shouldn't have gone for it in 2017 either. The "rebuild" that was started in 2013 wasn't properly executed from 14-16 and that's why 17 didn't work and why 18 wasn't gonna work if we had stayed the course.

Everything they thought they were doing right starting in 13 got shaken up when they half ass went for it from 2014-17 with guys like Saltamacchia Latos Morse Haren Cashner Rodney Chen Volquez Tazawa Ziegler even Gordon and Straily even though those worked out well.

Looking back I'm not even sure they did anything right in 13 as far as acquiring talent. They got back all those players from Toronto but did little else to recoup the farm after that. The 18 team has gotten like 25 new players into the system since last summer. That's a huge difference in talent acquisition compared to only getting 7 players from Toronto in the 2012-13 offseason. Jeter seems to be trying to get A LOT of talent and building off of that instead of making ONE blockbuster trade and hoping that return is enough to contend soon. 

The last rebuild wasn't very stable, so even if Jose was around, we wouldn't have had a window of more than 2-3 years, then we would have needed another total teardown. I like to think that Jeter is trying to build a sustainable winner that we can expect to at least be in the conversation every year - similar to the Cardinals.

Everything they thought they were doing right starting in 13 got shaken up when they half ass went for it from 2014-17 with guys like Saltamacchia Latos Morse Haren Cashner Rodney Chen Volquez Tazawa Ziegler even Gordon and Straily even though those worked out well.

Other than what you state, Gordon and to some extent Straily, this was a literal buffet of dog crap warmed over at the cost of some very decent to good young talent. Actually, Haren was ok and was a throw in, but the rest just makes you sick at the ineptitude of the front office. More than Jose, this could be pointed as the ultimate undoing of a very good team.

Other than what you state, Gordon and to some extent Straily, this was a literal buffet of dog crap warmed over at the cost of some very decent to good young talent. Actually, Haren was ok and was a throw in, but the rest just makes you sick at the ineptitude of the front office. More than Jose, this could be pointed as the ultimate undoing of a very good team.

Yep. They freely got rid of young talent for a bevy of short term band-aids in those years, most of which didn't pay off. It was a bunch of always "going for it at the wrong time" which is funny because you'd think that's what the casual fan base wants but a) they still didn't come out and b) if it never pays off it just leads to even more losing which, in turn, is what the casual fan base doesn't want. 

I think we might have been able to stave off a rebuild if Jose hadnt died.  It depends on the prospects we got back though.  His last year i was advocating for the exact package that the Sox got for Sale, and i think that might have enabled us to stave off a rebuild or at the very least only sold off Dee and Stanton and then waited for Ziegler and Tazawa to expire.

Our team looks a lot different even if we still have Yelich and Ozuna if we could get Moncada, Kopech, Guzman, Devers, Neidert, Torres, on top of the other arms we got in the phelps and Ramos deals.  That would have been a more borderline call on a rebuild.  We made the right choice though after he died.