Julio Pablo Martinez cleared to sign beginning 3/6

Admin

Is this the same Cuban OF they were talking about like a month ago?

Edit: Yes it is. I should read the articles before posting stupid questions. Lesson learned. 

Dont blame you, ive only memorized this guy in my head as "the cuban OF" and every time some one says "martinez" it takes me a second to register.

This would be an enormous signing though.  Would give us an OF surplus of 4 legit OF prospects in Brinson, Harrison, Sierra, and Martinez on top of Lee and Miller as kind of fringe 4th OF types who could be more.  Plus not all of them are ready this year so we could have a year of evaluation to see which ones work out and if in the best case scenario they all do and they are all ready next year (the 4 top guys will be at least) we could either move one to a position of need or trade one to fill another hole.  That is another reason why organizational depth can be so important.

If the Marlins are so gung ho about aquiring prospects, why in the world did they give Seattle a million dollars of international pool space in the Dee Gordon trade ? Makes no sense. 

Yeah I said that before and no one here backed me up. They talk about how it could be traded for again but that’s pointless to me. I don’t think Neidert is a good enough prospect to side track yourself for, but whatever. 

And giving away some int'l money doesn't mean it's all gone. They can give Seattle some and still have plenty left to do whatever they want here. 

I disagree.If they have plenty, they would not be talking about signing Martinez in the next signing period (july)...and there is also the unique current situation where the Braves IFA's have been granted free agency and are back on the market as part of the penalty.

Yeah I said that before and no one here backed me up. They talk about how it could be traded for again but that’s pointless to me. I don’t think Neidert is a good enough prospect to side track yourself for, but whatever. 

Neidert is a nice propsect and so is Christopher Torres.  I don't mind them using that money in that situation.  Julio Martinez wasn't even on anyone's radar at the time.  Either way, if the  Fish are smart they we will sell Martinez on two things.  The opportunity to get to the MLB quickly because of the rebuild and the latin community in Miami.  Especially the whole Cuban thing.  I'm sure that his agent can convince him to wait 3 or 4 months to sign if they come to a handshake agreement with the Fish.

Neidert is a nice propsect and so is Christopher Torres.  I don't mind them using that money in that situation.  Julio Martinez wasn't even on anyone's radar at the time.  Either way, if the  Fish are smart they we will sell Martinez on two things.  The opportunity to get to the MLB quickly because of the rebuild and the latin community in Miami.  Especially the whole Cuban thing.  I'm sure that his agent can convince him to wait 3 or 4 months to sign if they come to a handshake agreement with the Fish.

You make a couple of good points but Martinez was a known quantity prior to the Dee Gordon deal. Texas just traded a player to get $350,000 more, and they already had over 2 million. I hope you're right but I just don't think he's going to wait.

You make a couple of good points but Martinez was a known quantity prior to the Dee Gordon deal. Texas just traded a player to get $350,000 more, and they already had over 2 million. I hope you're right but I just don't think he's going to wait.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/julio-pablo-martinez-cuban-outfielder-free-agent-rangers-marlins-yankees.html

They had less than 2 million before the money from the Reds and probably are still under 2 million even after.  He'd be smart to wait a few more months.

Texas had  $3.535MM in pool allotments to spend on Ohtani before he opted to sign with the division-rival Angels. They’ve since reallocated some of their pool by signing shortstops Yenci Pena (for $675K) and Keithron Moss (for $800K) as well as outfielder D’Vaughn Knowles (for $500K). That’d still leave as much as $1.56MM to offer Martinez to begin his pro career in the current signing period (though it’s possible the pool is a bit lesser depending on whether Texas has made some smaller-scale signings that were not widely reported)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/julio-pablo-martinez-cuban-outfielder-free-agent-rangers-marlins-yankees.html

They had less than 2 million before the money from the Reds and probably are still under 2 million even after.  He'd be smart to wait a few more months.

Texas had  $3.535MM in pool allotments to spend on Ohtani before he opted to sign with the division-rival Angels. They’ve since reallocated some of their pool by signing shortstops Yenci Pena (for $675K) and Keithron Moss (for $800K) as well as outfielder D’Vaughn Knowles (for $500K). That’d still leave as much as $1.56MM to offer Martinez to begin his pro career in the current signing period (though it’s possible the pool is a bit lesser depending on whether Texas has made some smaller-scale signings that were not widely reported)

That's good info. Thanks.  It looks like 9 of the 12 brave prospects that were declared free agents have signed with other teams. I'm perplexed as to why the Marlins didn't nab at least one.

That's good info. Thanks.  It looks like 9 of the 12 brave prospects that were declared free agents have signed with other teams. I'm perplexed as to why the Marlins didn't nab at least one.

They probably had previous relationships based on who was in the running for them before they signed with the braves.  It's going to take a year or 2 for the marlins to start developing relationships in the IFA market with Denbo given that we barely ever properly utilized IFA under the previous ownership.

After digging around quite a bit, it looks like the Marlins have less than $250,000 to spend on Martinez in this signing period. He would be smart to wait until the next int signing period, but I think that's going to be a tough sell for him to wait rather than getting money now and starting his minor league career.Regardless of how this turns out I think the Marlins should take advantage of their location and rebuilding situation as rydawg pointed out, and be more aggressive in the international market.