MLB the Show 18

Michael

How is the Marlins roster on this? I won't buy it if I have to severely alter it, or if people have fake ass names

It gets updated weekly after Opening Day with whoever is on the MLB roster. You won't have the not yet debuted minor leaguers like Harrison but there are roster makers who make these guys as well and they'll be available to download probably in about a month or so. 

It gets updated weekly after Opening Day with whoever is on the MLB roster. You won't have the not yet debuted minor leaguers like Harrison but there are roster makers who make these guys as well and they'll be available to download probably in about a month or so. 

But I'll get Brinson, with his picture maybe?

But I'll get Brinson, with his picture maybe?

Brinson is already in the game because he debuted in the majors last year but he doesn't have a face scan so he has a generic face that doesn't look much like him.

Face scans are done a year in advance at the previous spring training and Brinson put up a video on Instagram of his face being scanned this year so he'll actually look like himself in next year's game. 

As for the roster most of the guys who will start the season with the Marlins are already in the game as, despite everyone ragging on our roster, we aren't starting the season with a single player who hasnt already made his big league debut. The only two I couldn't find was Cooper and Caleb Smith which is odd because they both played in the majors last year. They'll be added in within the next two weeks in a roster update though. 

I bought it at a whim on Friday while I was supposed to be working. I definitely enjoy the analog hitting more than the button hitting that I've previously used. My last baseball game was the Show with Mauer on the cover, so it's been a while. A lot of the game is new to me.

I'm a little overwhelmed by Franchise mode. Played it for like 10 minutes and went by to RTTS. I got drafted by the Marlins out of my 3rd year in college ?

I'm a little overwhelmed by Franchise mode.

While it is still clearly a lot to take in, they've done a lot the last two years to streamline the Franchise mode process and make it easier to digest and navigate through. Plus every bit of it can be set to auto so that the game does a lot of the tasks for you and you can be in charge of as little or as much as you want. I jokingly call it "Franchise Mode for Dummies."

While it is still clearly a lot to take in, they've done a lot the last two years to streamline the Franchise mode process and make it easier to digest and navigate through. Plus every bit of it can be set to auto so that the game does a lot of the tasks for you and you can be in charge of as little or as much as you want. I jokingly call it "Franchise Mode for Dummies."

I saw what they had defaulted as auto, and I envisioned Franchise mode being the opposite.

What can I expect if I make everything manual, except for actual gameplay. Is it going to overwhelm me?

I saw what they had defaulted as auto, and I envisioned Franchise mode being the opposite.

What can I expect if I make everything manual, except for actual gameplay. Is it going to overwhelm me?

Depends what you like, some people love that stuff and never actually play the games themselves. It's like truly being the GM. I think whether or not it overwhelms you depends on how well you can keep up with things like waivers, scouting, the draft, rule 5 picks, setting lineups, etc etc. It can be a lot of fun but I think the concern has been that with so many things to do somethings things get overlooked and forgotten and then you're in a bind. "Phases" is supposed to help with this as it brings your most urgent decisions up to the front menu screen like a To Do List so that you don't miss the main things.

Also I think enjoyment of Franchise mode depends on how willing your are to stray from real life. If you just wanna take a team and play their games like reality it can lose it's appeal over time. But if you take a mediocre team and shake them up your own way it can be a ton of fun... kinda like doing what Jeter is trying to do and seeing if you can do it in video game form. 

the fact that this game is still PS4 only really pisses me off as someone who likes mlb games and who foolishly got an xbox one instead of a PS4.  especially as a sport that has trouble attracting young people i have no idea why they are the only professional sport without a video game.