Jax Jumbo Shrimp outdraw Marlins

The Jumbo Shrimp drew 5,328 yesterday. Fewer than the 6150 at Marlins Park, but not by a lot, and who knows where Marlins attendance will be later in the year against teams without local followings.

Hey, Neidert pitched pretty well last night. 5 6 2 2 0 4. And Harrison went 1-3 with a walk and 2 SB. Progress!

Why point out it was the home opener? It is pretty clear you were trying to imply there's a reason they had higher attendance.

Because it IS a reason and they may not have a bigger crowd the remainder of the season and I'm curious to know how well Jax draws the rest of the year. I still never said that they should be drawing bigger crowds than the Marlins. Don't put words in my mouth. 

I remember a month ago people were saying this was the MOST excited they’ve been for a Marlins season.  I wonder if some of those people have found their excitement is waning. 

Depends what they were excited for. If they were excited because they thought this team was gonna win every day then I'm sure their excitement has waned. My excitement was always to see this team develop on a daily basis while building towards a future contender and never about wins and losses. I still see that every day so my excitement hasn't waned. 

Watching the process of acquiring and bringing up homegrown talent can be gratifying.  It isn’t spontaneous fun like winning the Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes.  Its long term intrigue.  2018 disappointment at the MLB level doesn’t change that.

I understand that, except one thing. We've done this multiple times before. The end game is the excitement IMO, to see how this finished product will be different than the other finished products. But at this point in the build? Meh.

On the subject of minor league attendance, here is a record of all MiLB average attendances for 2017

https://ballparkdigest.com/2017/09/18/2017-milbscindy-attendance-by-average/

Last year Jacksonville averaged 5,171. So their opening day figure looks like something one would expect from them.  It also appears that there are a handful of IL and PCL teams that are north of 8,000 on average.  Good for them. 

I understand that, except one thing. We've done this multiple times before. The end game is the excitement IMO, to see how this finished product will be different than the other finished products. But at this point in the build? Meh.

Done what multiple times?  Backed off from the temptation of dumping more money into a team that has posted losing records for 8 consecutive seasons?  I don't think it is productive to drum up the rebuild vs. "sign a couple pitchers" debate from the winter.  But tell me how moving the core of last year's loser team looks anything like a) the Firesale of Winter 1997, b) Trading members from the 2003 WS Team after the 2005 season, or c) Undoing the terrible FA signings heading into 2012.