Mike Matheny Fired

el_gmac

There is some buzz that Joe Girardi will be the next Cards manager. 

I don't understand Matheny's bullpen management. By every single season, there was some exhausted bullpen pitcher, for example, Kevin Siegrist, Trevor Rosenthal, Jason Motte, Seth Maness, Seung Hwan Oh and this season Jordan Hicks.

He was an evil definitely. 

Matheny dry snitched on himself and paid the price.

How the hell are you going to tell a reporter that you miss old school baseball, appreciate that one of your pitchers is a snitch and a hard ass in the bullpen, and expect to keep your job.... when there are rumblings that your too much of a hard ass to your players and they are quitting  on you.

I never understood why the fuck Mabry still had a job going into this season.

The roster really is largely on Mo, its a trash roster.

The day to day management has been bad, the bullpen usage and the need to have an extra arm for no real reason has been maddening.

Torre destroyed relievers too, it is what it is.

Not really sure he has overused anyone this year, probably due largely to Maddux.  If anyone has been overused it was Norris.  Though given that its basically been Norris, Hicks or total trash, I get it.

The team had grown stale with him and it was painfully obvious he had to go.

Lets go get Joe.

Who was it that Matheny had an issue with like a year ago? Was it Molina? 

And yes, Yadi and Mike had some issues last year, though for all purposes they worked things out.

Now Dexter Fowler and Mike, thats a different story.

Though Dexter sucks so it is what it is....

[ATTACH]2064[/ATTACH]

Didn't the Marlins get permission, for some reason, to not interview anyone else but Mattingly? If so how did we even get a runner up? Or am I thinking of another situation? Can anyone clarify this?

No, I think they "interviewed" other people because they have to (including the obligatory Bo Porter interview since we interview him every time), but it was known Loria wanted Mattingly, and it was pretty much a given he'd be the guy.  I think he was still under contract with LA, though, at the time, but the new front office out there wanted to hire their own guy, so they let us talk to him/sign him.

No, I think they "interviewed" other people because they have to (including the obligatory Bo Porter interview since we interview him every time), but it was known Loria wanted Mattingly, and it was pretty much a given he'd be the guy.  I think he was still under contract with LA, though, at the time, but the new front office out there wanted to hire their own guy, so they let us talk to him/sign him.

There was some point where the Marlins were cleared to not interview anyone but looking back it might have been when we made Jennings the manager. 

There was some point where the Marlins were cleared to not interview anyone but looking back it might have been when we made Jennings the manager. 

Oh I don't remember that.  But that sounds more accurate.

Found this article about Mattingly's hire that mentioned Manny Acta, Larry Bowa, and Bo Porter had been candidates:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/ap-sources-marlins-hire-mattingly-manager

Loria persuaded Mattingly to enter the revolving door. Other candidates to be interviewed included former major league managers Manny Acta, Larry Bowa and Bo Porter.

Can't seem to find anything about them getting permission to not interview anyone, but your account does sound familiar.  I still think they'd have been fine had they not fired Redmond, but....Loria.

Something I just realized - 2018 is the first season  in a while that we've only paid one manager.  Redmond's deal went through 2017.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.