The education of Derek Jeter, baseball CEO

SonOfJack

Of the entire article, this part stuck out at me. "At a more granular level, Jeter has reached out tirelessly to season-ticket holders, sponsors and business partners, along with prospective new season-ticket holders, sponsors and business partners. He has done everything but go door to door and place leaflets in mailboxes."

That's bs. The only thing we got from jeter was one town hall for a select group of STH that I had to scream my way into and a generic letter emailed to everyone. 

Keep in mind, espn is the northeast love network so this puff piece article shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

What this year has proven this far is he doesn't know what he's doing (and I'm not referring to the on field dumpster fire). There have many misakes made in operations. Many of those mistakes were similar to those made by loria in 2002. He should have kept people on the business side from loria's to ensure that didn't happen but oh well. Learning curve had begun. 

Of the entire article, this part stuck out at me. "At a more granular level, Jeter has reached out tirelessly to season-ticket holders, sponsors and business partners, along with prospective new season-ticket holders, sponsors and business partners. He has done everything but go door to door and place leaflets in mailboxes."

That's bs. The only thing we got from jeter was one town hall for a select group of STH that I had to scream my way into and a generic letter emailed to everyone. 

Keep in mind, espn is the northeast love network so this puff piece article shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

What this year has proven this far is he doesn't know what he's doing (and I'm not referring to the on field dumpster fire). There have many misakes made in operations. Many of those mistakes were similar to those made by loria in 2002. He should have kept people on the business side from loria's to ensure that didn't happen but oh well. Learning curve had begun. 

I'm not saying everything in the article is completely accurate, but I don't understand your complaint - so because YOU weren't personally greeted by Jeter coming to your house asking you to buy season tickets, that means he hasn't really worked at reaching out to season ticket holders, sponsors, and business partners?  In a way that Loria & co didn't do?

Among the big-picture items on his agenda: negotiating new TV and stadium naming rights deals,

"rebranding'' the team uniform and colors, upgrading the spring training complex in Jupiter, Florida, and figuring out where the Marlins are headed with All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto, the team's best player and a free agent in 2021.

This line confirms there's going to be some sort of change to the uniforms/colors/logo.

Just a question of when at this point.

They've said changes will be coming to the ballpark experience for next year - whether that means there's going to be any construction/modifications, I don't know, but that'd be a good time to change any branding, colors, etc. at the park coinciding with new team colors.  I think it'll be this offseason, and hope for an Atlanta "SunTrust Park" approach - be "ok" for a year (for us with rebrand vs. Atlanta with a new park), and be good the next.

Alternatively, they could wait until NEXT offseason when they hope to be good.  But I think it'll be this offseason.

I think it'll be this offseason.

I do also though that would mean he already submitted the new look to MLB. We should start seeing some leaks in the fall I assume. The uniform experts here will know better, but I think the leaks often come from the clothing companies and they'd be doing their work in the fall.

Things I did not know until I read this article:

-the Marlins sent international bonus money to Seattle in the Dee Gordon trade

- Gary Denbo has a reputation for being a hot head with subordinates 

- After Gordon, Stanton, Ozuna, Yelich and Bour were traded, Keith Law still had the Marlins rated as a bottom third farm system. 

Thank you for posting that article. 

“But nothing could prepare him for his first game as an owner, and the helplessness of waiting for DJ Khaled to finish his 30 minute set”

That makes two of us Derek.  As a fellow human being I felt for Khaled, but damned if he didn’t give it his all to sell it.

Main takeaways:

1. Gary Denbo sounds like loads of fun

2. There’s lots of on the job learning going on, and it isn’t just Jeter.

I’m glad I read the article, but it’s also depressing at the same time.  Yes, we still have a bottom third farm system (which should really tell everyone something now shouldn’t it).  But having such an uphill battle to climb when your Sherpa is learning doesn’t not sit well.  I like everything they’re saying and doing, but the execution is what makes me nervous.  Hopefully they get those uniforms straightened out and they turn the volume down to make the journey a little more comfortable

Things I did not know until I read this article:

-the Marlins sent international bonus money to Seattle in the Dee Gordon trade

- Gary Denbo has a reputation for being a hot head with subordinates 

- After Gordon, Stanton, Ozuna, Yelich and Bour were traded, Keith Law still had the Marlins rated as a bottom third farm system. 

Thank you for posting that article. 

BRB calling the negativity police.

But no srsly, as far as the farm system part - our system did improve, yes. But realize it went from practically non-existent to at least OK due to the trades, and we're not done building yet - as @SonOfJack has said, gotta give him a couple years at least. The Stanton trade was never going to get us much due to having to completely dump the contract on the receiving team.

Also, Keith Law.

I'm not saying everything in the article is completely accurate, but I don't understand your complaint - so because YOU weren't personally greeted by Jeter coming to your house asking you to buy season tickets, that means he hasn't really worked at reaching out to season ticket holders, sponsors, and business partners?  In a way that Loria & co didn't do?

Reread the quote before you sensationalize what I wrote. It said tireless reached out to STH. If having a small town hall and generic email sent out is your definition of "tirelessly" that's pretty pathetic low bar. You may want to reevaluate your definitions.

Reread the quote before you sensationalize what I wrote. It said tireless reached out to STH. If having a small town hall and generic email sent out is your definition of "tirelessly" that's pretty pathetic low bar. You may want to reevaluate your definitions.

Again, you don't know what may have been done/sent out to others.  And, you ignored the rest of the statement:  "season ticket holders, sponsors and business partners, along with prospective new season-ticket holders, sponsors and business partners" .  So while he may not have reached out to season ticket holders alone "tirelessly", when you put them all together, you can get there.  He wasn't reaching out to just season ticket holders, he reached out to all those other people too.

Jeter needs to go door-to-door in 2019, anything less is unacceptable. He must do this even for mini-season ticket holders.

"Have you gone to ONE game in the history of the franchise? JETER NEEDS TO COME PERSONALLY SHAKE YOUR HAND AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDYING FANDOM!"

It must be because the Tampa Bay Rays are the definition of "perfect organization", something all other 29 teams should aspire to be.

I know you're being sarcastic, but they do extract a lot of wins (albeit not enough to have any championships) from a small amount of resources.

They've won their division twice. 

I don't want to re-hash the Rays argument, but I mentioned I don't care about making the playoffs. I care about winning the world series. World champ = #1. Everyone else = #2 and below.

Lets get back to the topic at-hand though, this other one is probably a better discussion for RaysBaseball.com

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.