Lewis Brinson is better than Mike Schmidt

SilverBullet

Yea but Schmidt drew way more walks and had a higher slugging.  I know you aren’t into this sort of thing but Brinson posted a wRC+ of 56 compared to Schmidt’s 95.  Both below average but Brinson clearly was poor whereas Schmidt was average.  The case to be made for Brinson is that he started slow, had a great June and was unfortunate to get injured.  He wasn’t good in September but not as bad as May.  I’m not ready to shit all over him though.  I know he’s an older rookie but I still think he deserves more time. 

Brinson was 24 this year, so he's a year behind Schmidt in development. Schmidt was already an All-Star at 24, leading the NL in HR, hitting .282 and walking 106 times. Lew might not get to 106 walks for his career unless he learns to make contact.

I hadn't realized this until the other day but by keeping Brinson up with the team all year long he didn't lose a minor league option, which gives the team an extra season of flexibility down the line if they need to keep optioning him down during future struggles. Nobody brought this up this season but with the 2018 season being a lost cause since day one maybe this was a smart and strategic move. If Brinson is struggling a couple years down the line during a season where we might be closer to contending they'll be able to option him down when it really is necessary.

I hadn't realized this until the other day but by keeping Brinson up with the team all year long he didn't lose a minor league option, which gives the team an extra season of flexibility down the line if they need to keep optioning him down during future struggles. Nobody brought this up this season but with the 2018 season being a lost cause since day one maybe this was a smart and strategic move. If Brinson is struggling a couple years down the line during a season where we might be closer to contending they'll be able to option him down when it really is necessary.

Well, they also should have kept him down to get an extra year of service time.

Well, they also should have kept him down to get an extra year of service time.

Yes... but... he already proved himself at Triple A in the past. Maybe an extra year of major league time will be more beneficial to him in the long run than an extra year of Triple A would have been.

I'm not disagreeing that he didn't look great this season I'm just pointing this out and saying maybe it'll work out down the line. 

Mike finished 2nd in RBI. 

Maybe he meant Lewis would win the HR AND RBI crowns in 2019.  Thats better than Mike!

He literally said this in the post as his point:

"The point is... a bad first season doesn't always mean a guy can't improve. "

So are you dumb or just acting like you are?