Which South Florida team wins a championship next?

SilverBullet

Which South Florida team wins a championship next?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which South Florida team wins a championship next?

• Miami Dolphins
    • Miami Heat
    • Miami Marlins
    • Florida Panthers
    • Inter Miami

Thought this was an interesting discussion for us especially with most of these teams at some pretty significant lows at this moment. The article didn't include Inter Miami but I threw them into the poll because, with none of the other teams near a title I figured Inter Miami had a chance in this race.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fl-sp-miami-pro-sports-championship-odds-20190109-story.html

Are we talking on an infinite timeline?  Or who has the best chance in the next X years?

The article says it in terms of the next decade but that is kinda meaningless because whether it's in ten years or fifteen years the next championship is the next championship. The question is who's next so the timeline could potentially be infinite. 

I said the Heat. Current squad won't do it, but I'm expecting Riley to add to the roster in the near future. I can see them being champs before any of the other teams. Of all the South Florida teams, the Heat are competitive most often I believe. It could be the soccer team, but that's impossible to say since they don't even have a roster yet.

I don’t think any of our professional teams are close enough to put one more closer to a championship than the other.  It’s really a toss up.  Back me in a corner and force me to pick one I’ll take Inter Miami based purely on the fact that Atlanta won one so quickly so....hey why not.  

There’s a strong case for the Heat maybe.  I don’t follow that sport enough to get into a thoughtful debate but on the surface it appears that a team could hit on a draft pick and find a great player, clear salary and then lure a couple free agents and find themselves in the discussion for a title.  Isn’t that what the Heat did when they drafted Wade?  They acquired Shaq and built around those two.  I could be wrong though. 

There’s a strong case for the Heat maybe.  I don’t follow that sport enough to get into a thoughtful debate but on the surface it appears that a team could hit on a draft pick and find a great player, clear salary and then lure a couple free agents and find themselves in the discussion for a title.  Isn’t that what the Heat did when they drafted Wade?  They acquired Shaq and built around those two.  I could be wrong though. 

You're right

It's frustrating but it's what makes it an interesting topic. Even if one can pick any team it just takes one bad season to flip the whole narrative.

It is an interesting topic. some teams grapple with forces that other teams do not.   The Marlins have to compete In a league without a salary cap.  The Marlins have revenue issues.  The Dolphins are in a league that puts a really short leash on coaches and executives which makes for situations like they’re in where they’ve put together a .500 record over a 20 year period.

The Panthers....poor Panthers.  

a team could hit on a draft pick and find a great player, clear salary and then lure a couple free agents and find themselves in the discussion for a title

I don't follow basketball closely either but I'm pretty sure this is the way most NBA championships are won. Must be interesting to be a die hard NBA fan in that sense, most teams can compete pretty regularly within a 3 to 4 year period if they follow this strategy correctly.

There’s a tank dialogue ongoing among Dolphin fans at the moment.  The rationale isn’t totally insane.  You get a good quarterback and suddenly you become more attractive to good coaches and free agents.  In my opinion though that approach in the NFL is much tougher to stomach than MLB.  The NFL affords you a small corner on the calendar for actual games to watch.  Other than that what is left?  Eight months of speculation and tank talk?   At least with the Marlins we’ve got a longer season; games every day, multi level minor league system to pay attention to, a league with pretty active winter transactions, an interesting preseason that builds to a roster structuring for MLB on down to A ball.  So even for a club like ours their is plenty of things to immerse yourself in and enjoy as a fan.  For a tanking football team it’s a much more depressing endeavor.  

The article says it in terms of the next decade but that is kinda meaningless because whether it's in ten years or fifteen years the next championship is the next championship. The question is who's next so the timeline could potentially be infinite. 

I admit I didn't read the article.  It's not necessarily meaningless, though.  If I'm being forced to pick one in the span of the next 3 years, I may pick one that I don't think really has a chance, but am picking one to pick one, whereas if you expand that to 10 years, I might think one option actually has a chance within that larger window, so that could change the answer.

I’m inclined to pick the panthers since there is a ton of variance in the NHL playoffs. Of course they have to make it there first...

The Heat are likely to be stuck in this middle ground for some years. The Marlins have a ways to go. And I’m not a Dolphin fan, so I hope they never win another game ?

I'd voted for the Heat simply because if you hit the #1 pick and he's a generational player you almost immediately have a playoff team because one player can have such a massive impact in the NBA.

The Dolphins are a weird case.  Ross isn't shy about spending but man they have been snakebit by FA's underperforming and just NEVER being able to find a star, or even above average QB, who can regularly win you games.  Saban convincing whoever the GM was at the time to sign Culpepper over Brees was really a turning point for the franchise.  They actually have, in my opinion anyway, some solid options at RB and WR this past year, but it's rather hard to win when the OL is on the IR and your QB sucks in general.  I dunno, if they went all in and managed to draft Tua or Lawrence next year (not to be confused with uber Mets fan Larry) then the franchise may turn around quickly.

Panthers? meh....don't see it happening barring some miracle season.