Ortiz calls out Fiers for being a snitch

hovertical

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28744243/david-ortiz-mike-fiers-looks-snitch-exposing-astros-scandal

Man, I said this same shit on here awhile back. I really, really, REALLY hope that Fiers gets blacklisted from baseball after his contract runs up. The dude is a piece of shit with hair. I couldn't agree more with Ortiz. Waiting until you've gotten your ring AND switched teams and then "bravely" coming forward is just lame. Makes you look bitter af for not getting a contract with the Astros again after your ring. I'll still remember him more for destroying Stanton's face and then beaning the next guy and acting like "who me?" when the bench wanted to kill him. Reviled.

Oh please.

I don't know if he's a nice guy or not but calling out Fiers for this when virtually the entire organization was cheating is kinda lame.

Fiers wasn't wrong and one can complain about when he spoke up and the fact that he accepted a ring just like the rest of them but this is people trying to pass the blame. "Shooting the messenger" if you will. Getting mad at your sibling because they told your parents you did something wrong. Calling someone a tattle tale in school when they tell the teacher when in reality you were wrong anyways.

Fiers is a bad guy for pointing out something horrible that affected so many people's lives and careers? Something major like this that completely screws over the integrity of a baseball game?

People should be infuriated at what the Astros did and they should all be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 4

Fiers should have outed it while he was there, but at least he had the guts to do it eventually. The rest of the cheaters kept it hidden. Fuck unwritten rules. When a written rule is broken and the integrity of the game is at stake, I'm glad someone spoke up.

It is annoying as a fan of the game to see people vilify Fiers.

Also, fuck Rob Manfred.

• Like 6

Fiers should have outed it while he was there, but at least he had the guts to do it eventually. The rest of the cheaters kept it hidden. Fuck unwritten rules. When a written rule is broken and the integrity of the game is at stake, I'm glad someone spoke up.

It is annoying as a fan of the game to see people vilify Fiers.

Also, fuck Rob Manfred.

#fuckJeter too?

Just because?

• Like 1

Oh please.

I don't know if he's a nice guy or not but calling out Fiers for this when virtually the entire organization was cheating is kinda lame.

Fiers wasn't wrong and one can complain about when he spoke up and the fact that he accepted a ring just like the rest of them but this is people trying to pass the blame. "Shooting the messenger" if you will. Getting mad at your sibling because they told your parents you did something wrong. Calling someone a tattle tale in school when they tell the teacher when in reality you were wrong anyways.

Fiers is a bad guy for pointing out something horrible that affected so many people's lives and careers? Something major like this that completely screws over the integrity of a baseball game?

People should be infuriated at what the Astros did and they should all be ashamed of themselves.

completely disagree with nearly all of your counter points. I'll just roll with the "Fiers is a bad guy" as the one part I agree with while ignoring the rest of that. He'll have a real fun time fitting into any clubhouse. Hoping his last year is whenever his contract ends. Cheers.

So would you have preferred the Astros keep cheating?

Yeah, he could have said it when he was on the team during the season, sure. But then he's basically saying "yeah I'm not coming back to the game."

Say you're at work, big big company. Multi-billion dollar company. Then you find out your company has been doing a whole bunch of illegal things to make their profits. Are you going to go tell the feds or keep quiet and continue to do your job and make your money? If you do tell the feds, are you going to go back to work and hope your company doesn't find out?

There's no way you're going back to work if you tell on em, and guaranteed you've enjoyed making that money enough that you're willing to stick it out.

• Like 2

Considering the Red Sox were found cheating with the Apple Watch scandal and then later in their WS run in 2018 they probably were doing shady shit before hand. Something tells me Ortiz was in on it and just wants to get away scott-free.

It would be the exact same as the biggest juicers complaining about the ones who cooperated in the steroid investigations. Cheaters need to be exposed and the consequences should be more severe.

• Like 1

I have no opinion on Fiers one way or the other, and take this how you will, but according to A's reporter Susan Slusser, she asked him about why he didn't come forward sooner. His response was that he was talking about it and reporting it privately and when he saw no actions being taken after several private attempts he decided to go public.

That doesn't necessarily answer why he didn't try while with the Astros (although I think Michael gave a pretty good scenario above). It at least sounds like (if you believe his story) that Fiers was trying to not be a "snitch" publicly and would've preferred it to be handled privately but nothing was getting done.

I also think there may have been a part of him that tried to justify to himself in the moment that it wasn't really hurting anybody else (especially since he was a pitcher and not using the trash can system). Once he was no longer on the team, he saw that he was lying to himself and the guilt finally caught up with him and he had to say something.

All of that may be complete nonsense and he may be a sniveling coward who just waited until he got his ring and is now upset that the Astros would be cheating against him now that he was back in the division with the A's, but I think there is some plausibility that there may be some truth to either....or maybe some weird mixture of the two.

• Like 1

“I said from the beginning, ‘I'm not away from this. I was part of that team, I was one of those guys,’” he told the Chronicle. “Suspensions, fines -- I'm willing to take as much punishment as they do. If they ask me to [return the World Series ring], it's not the end of the world.”

Mike Fiers

[MEDIA=twitter]1230879700119097351[/MEDIA]

I disagree with Donnie here. Speaking up at the time within the organization wouldn't have done much. Apparently Hinch spoke up and it didn't stop and he was the manager. Now that I think about it I'm sure there were players at the time who openly questioned this and probably asked that it stop but it didn't, most likely because the front office condoned it and pushed for it, so I don't see how any player speaking up at the time would have stopped it.

To those who have sent these threats:

I love baseball and probably take it way too seriously. I hate that the Astros cheated and have put a black eye on the integrity of the game I love...but for Pete's sake people! Wishing cancer on someone's kids...or threatening to kill players...over baseball??? IT'S A STINKING GAME! Seek professional help.

To those who have sent these threats:

I love baseball and probably take it way too seriously. I hate that the Astros cheated and have put a black eye on the integrity of the game I love...but for Pete's sake people! Wishing cancer on someone's kids...or threatening to kill players...over baseball??? IT'S A STINKING GAME! Seek professional help.

In our defense, no one on this forum sent death threats or cancer wishes, but I guess we'll seek out that professional help you mentioned...

In our defense, no one on this forum sent death threats or cancer wishes, but I guess we'll seek out that professional help you mentioned...

I did add the "to those who have sent these threats" hoping no one would think I meant it about anyone here, but if someone needs that professional help, by all means go for it. :LOL:

Papi is a fucking asshole.

Its the same mentality we see in Washington, oh lets go after the whistleblower and basically IGNORE all the bad that happened.

Mike Fiers tried to report without going to the press. Nobody would listen and take him seriously.

Mike Fiers is on record saying he will give everything back from 2017 if asked.

To go after Mike Fiers is ignoring the actual problem and is fucking wrong.

And Fuck the Red Sox. Fuck their fans. Fuck their ownership. They like to claim this mentality of being the innocent party in so many things, look at things over the years with the Yankees. They are and have been just as fucking guilty of pretty much everything (except winning historically).

• Like 3

Papi is a fucking asshole.

Its the same mentality we see in Washington, oh lets go after the whistleblower and basically IGNORE all the bad that happened.

Mike Fiers tried to report without going to the press. Nobody would listen and take him seriously.

Mike Fiers is on record saying he will give everything back from 2017 if asked.

To go after Mike Fiers is ignoring the actual problem and is fucking wrong.

And Fuck the Red Sox. Fuck their fans. Fuck their ownership. They like to claim this mentality of being the innocent party in so many things, look at things over the years with the Yankees. They are and have been just as fucking guilty of pretty much everything (except winning historically).

Wtf, I like das now.