Is anyone even talking about Loop?

Libelula

I don't see anyone giving him anyone giving a crap he's gone. He was great in the play-offs and when it REALLY mattered, he was great.

much like the Pudge issue, the Looper issue is about relativitiy. He may be good, but just not worth that much money. Looper was arguably statistically worse than Benitez was last year, and would have probably cost more. he was far from unhittable in the postseason, and in the regular season, he very nearly lost us the Wild Card in that last Braves series.

I'm sorry, but Looper sucked. To be honest, I'm glad he's gone. The guy insisted on making the end of every game a heart-attack situation. I won't miss him, especially considering the money he wanted.

The guy has one of the best 2-seam fastballs in the game, of course I will miss him.

But I also welcome Armando with open arms.

He did come up big for us sometimes though. I thought some people would care that we didn't sign him.

Sorry, but I watched every game that we played from May on, and I never saw one appearance that made me think he would hold the lead. Fruit Loops loves to load the bases with one out or less, just so he can try to get out of the jam. Ugh...

He did come up big for us sometimes though. I thought some people would care that we didn't sign him.

Sorry, but I watched every game that we played from May on, and I never saw one appearance that made me think he would hold the lead. Fruit Loops loves to load the bases with one out or less, just so he can try to get out of the jam. Ugh... youre an idiot

looper is a great arm, and was great all season up until the last few weeks in september.

im guessing you expect lights out type performance out of looper, coming in every night and getting all 3 hitters out.

there is only so many premiere lights out closers in the league, and then theres good solid closers. looper is definitely a good, solid closer.

id love to have loop back, especially if we can somehow snag him as a set up man or something, i doubt it'd happen though.

The Marlins seemed to lose confidence in Looper in the same way they lost it in Mark Redman. No, they are not lousy, but if McKeon and Co. do not have confidence in them, they money is better off spent elsewhere. You can throw Encarnacion, Almanza and Andy Fox into the same boat I guess.

Going into the season you need to be sure the manager has confidence in his key players. It's obvious with the addition on Urbina and Chad Fox last season...they lost it on Looper long ago.

Interesting piece from the Sun-Sentinel. I don't believe this has been mentioned today.

According to industry sources, Looper left a one-year, $3 million offer on the table. He was looking for $4 million, about what he could expect to command through arbitration as a player with more than five years of big-league service time.

Looper will have a tough time getting $4M in today's market. I wouldn't mind seeing us continue to try to sign him for $3M.

I truly hope that we try and re-sign Looper. He was awesome from April through August. But his sub-par September has led people to forget about that. It's obvious that Looper wore down at the end of the season because we were having to use him every night early in the season because he was our only reliable arm in the pen.

I truly hope that we try and re-sign Looper. He was awesome from April through August. But his sub-par September has led people to forget about that. It's obvious that Looper wore down at the end of the season because we were having to use him every night early in the season because he was our only reliable arm in the pen.

Agreed.

Braden Looper is a below average closer and an outstanding set-up man. Same goes for Fox.

The Marlins seemed to lose confidence in Looper in the same way they lost it in Mark Redman. No, they are not lousy, but if McKeon and Co. do not have confidence in them, they money is better off spent elsewhere. You can throw Encarnacion, Almanza and Andy Fox into the same boat I guess.

Going into the season you need to be sure the manager has confidence in his key players. It's obvious with the addition on Urbina and Chad Fox last season...they lost it on Looper long ago.

McKeon didn't lose faith in any of those guys(except for maybe Almanza and rightfully so). He was just going with who was playing better at the time. Just because those guys stumbled a little at the end of the season doesn't mean they are bad players.

Agreed.

Braden Looper is a below average closer and an outstanding set-up man. Same goes for Fox. how about this: fox 7th inning, Looper 8th inning, Benitez 9th inning. too bad it's only a dream right now, but it's not out of the realm of possibility

I wouldn't mind seeing us continue to try to sign him for $3M.

The offer may still be on the table... I may be going out on a limb on this one, but I for one believe Looper has a bright future. He was too one-dimensional last year.

Penny had this problem early on as well...always trying to overpower the hitters. Towards the end of the season the light bulb finally came on with Penny and he started to pitch...changing speeds, mixing his pitches well.

I believe Braden needs to do the same thing. His confidence was shook in late August, and he finally started to get his composure back just before the playoffs. The day he adds an effective off-speed pitch to his repertoire is the day he will become a damn good closer for somebody....and I wouldn't mind it being us.

Agreed.

Braden Looper is a below average closer and an outstanding set-up man. Same goes for Fox. Hmmm, I can agree with most of that except I wouldn't go as far as calling Loop a below average closer, he's at least average.

McKeon didn't lose faith in any of those guys(except for maybe Almanza and rightfully so). He was just going with who was playing better at the time. Just because those guys stumbled a little at the end of the season doesn't mean they are bad players. The Marlins didn't lose confidence in Looper but they went out and signed someone that at best costs $500k less than what Looper would have?

He was 2-2 with a 6.14 ERA after the All-Star break, and opponents batted .291 against him, 44 points higher than they managed pre-break. In the postseason, he was 2-0 with one save and an ERA of 5.14

It seems if they had confidence in Looper he would be penciled in as the closer in 2004, not Benitez.

I truly hope that we try and re-sign Looper.? He was awesome from April through August.? But his sub-par September has led people to forget about that.? It's obvious that Looper wore down at the end of the season because we were having to use him every night early in the season because he was our only reliable arm in the pen.

Agreed.

Braden Looper is a below average closer and an outstanding set-up man. Same goes for Fox. Hmmm, I can agree with most of that except I wouldn't go as far as calling Loop a below average closer, he's at least average. Yeah I would say Loop was middle of the pack last year. I bet you there are 10-15 other teams that he could have closed for.

McKeon didn't lose faith in any of those guys(except for maybe Almanza and rightfully so). He was just going with who was playing better at the time. Just because those guys stumbled a little at the end of the season doesn't mean they are bad players. The Marlins didn't lose confidence in Looper but they went out and signed someone that at best costs $500k less than what Looper would have?

He was 2-2 with a 6.14 ERA after the All-Star break, and opponents batted .291 against him, 44 points higher than they managed pre-break. In the postseason, he was 2-0 with one save and an ERA of 5.14

It seems if they had confidence in Looper he would be penciled in as the closer in 2004, not Benitez. Like I said he wore down at the end of the season and McKeon knew that and that's why he was moved out of the closer role. Loop had a 2.28 era at the all-star break. That is oustanding. They picked up Benitez because he was cheaper like you said, and he's probably just a step above Looper. (although I believe Looper will be better than Benitez in the not so distant future.

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted.

Braden Looper

Interested: Rockies, Mets

Dec. 22 - The Marlins non-tendered Looper on Saturday, making him a free agent, and the former closer already is drawing interest from the Mets and Rockies. Looper, a hard-throwing right-hander who has posted a sub-4.00 ERA in each of the last three seasons, made $2.4 million last season. His agent, Randy Hendricks, told the N.Y. Daily News, "We are very interested in the Mets, with Art Howe and Rick Peterson there

ESPN Insider

Looks like we may get to see plenty of Loop next year.

And, for the record, I am not happy he's gone, I wanted him back as our set-up guy, with Fox. I'm holding out hope we get him back, but I doubt it.