Can the Marlins win the NL East?

On 9/11/2020 at 7:29 AM, SilverBullet said:

Right but then they went out and grabbed Alou, Fernandez, Bonilla, I think others too... and then decided they couldn't afford to keep them so they bought/rented several final pieces to the puzzle. 

It wasn't an entirely bought team though I'll give you that.

and  an in-season trade may have given them the extra boost they really needed to get there as Daulton was clutch for Miami after coming on board.  They did buy a few key pieces for sure though but it still took that trade and contributions from the '96 Marlins to become a WS winner.  And MOST WS teams do buy some pieces to fill out their roster - it's not like it was that unusual.

That was indeed the best professional baseball team Miami has ever fielded.  Not nearly as fun as the 2003 team but for just pure ability?  Yeah 1997. 

• Like 2

I still want to see some consistent starting pitching from our guys before I'm ready to annoint them as possible NL East winners.  Talent level and potential is there for sure but they haven't been looking all that swell as of late aside from Sixto (who is probably due for a bump in the road too as more film becomes available and he starts squaring off against some more of the same guys. 

Marlins have been the epitome of a young team (despite their average age being skewed by some very grizzled vets) with extreme ups and downs - looking like world beaters some nights and then playing about as well as Stanton did during "The Slump" the next night.

54 minutes ago, hovertical said:

and  an in-season trade may have given them the extra boost they really needed to get there as Daulton was clutch for Miami after coming on board.  They did buy a few key pieces for sure though but it still took that trade and contributions from the '96 Marlins to become a WS winner.  And MOST WS teams do buy some pieces to fill out their roster - it's not like it was that unusual.

That was indeed the best professional baseball team Miami has ever fielded.  Not nearly as fun as the 2003 team but for just pure ability?  Yeah 1997. 

The crazy thing is that the 1997 team had no HOF's, but the 2003 will have 2 as soon as Miggy gets in.

7 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

The crazy thing is that the 1997 team had no HOF's, but the 2003 will have 2 as soon as Miggy gets in.

That's because the HOF is very much about individual successes even though a championship team is all about team success. Mike Trout is a perfect example of this: First ballot Hall of Famer but he can't lead the Angels to a championship by himself. 

• Like 1

I hope the Rays sweep the Mets, the Yankees sweep the Blue Jays (battle hard so that they are tired) and the Tigers sweep the Twins. This will mean the Yankees will have nothing to play for (locked in the 4th seed). Rays won't have as much to fight for against the Phillies, but it would be the most clear way to get wins against the red hot Yankees.

3 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

I hope the Rays sweep the Mets, the Yankees sweep the Blue Jays (battle hard so that they are tired) and the Tigers sweep the Twins. This will mean the Yankees will have nothing to play for (locked in the 4th seed). Rays won't have as much to fight for against the Phillies, but it would be the most clear way to get wins against the red hot Yankees.

Yeah I want the Yankees to purposely let up this weekend, they should be resting their main guys and definitely their top starting pitchers. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Yeah I want the Yankees to purposely let up this weekend, they should be resting their main guys and definitely their top starting pitchers. 

Fortunately the ALWCS will start Tuesday of next week, so we should miss Garrett Cole and possibly their number 2 (Tanaka?) if they want to give an extra day of rest before the playoffs.