9/23 Post Game Thread

This team has shown resiliency all season long and believe it or not we're still in control and we're still right on the cusp of clinching our spot. A win today would be huge but remember we just need to tie the Phillies to get in. 

• Like 2

Man people love to overreact...

Did we not just play through like 55 games where we played (and still are) better than the Phillies Mets and Nationals? Have we not completely exceeded expectations this season? Have we not shown we can hang with better teams? Have we not shown that the future of this team is bright? And there's so much more...

All of a sudden we have a rough 3 game stretch vs one of the genuinely best teams in baseball and now I'm hearing how awful we are, what a horrible season we've had, that we don't deserve a playoff spot, that we should fire Mattingly, etc etc. And all this trash about "backing in" to the playoffs. If anything we drove a monster truck directly into the playoffs while crushing all the really fancy expensive cars beneath us.

Get the hell out of here with that crap... even if we lose every remaining game this has been such an amazing season for this team and I can't believe anyone would think differently.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Man people love to overreact...

Did we not just play through like 55 games where we played (and still are) better than the Phillies Mets and Nationals? Have we not completely exceeded expectations this season? Have we not shown we can hang with better teams? Have we not shown that the future of this team is bright? And there's so much more...

All of a sudden we have a rough 3 game stretch vs one of the genuinely best teams in baseball and now I'm hearing how awful we are, what a horrible season we've had, that we don't deserve a playoff spot, that we should fire Mattingly, etc etc. And all this trash about "backing in" to the playoffs. If anything we drove a monster truck directly into the playoffs while crushing all the really fancy expensive cars beneath us.

Get the hell out of here with that crap... even if we lose every remaining game this has been such an amazing season for this team and I can't believe anyone would think differently.

I agree 100% with everything but your last paragraph. 

If the Marlins don’t end their 17 year playoff drought, it will be an incredible meltdown/missed opportunity.  Don’t kid yourself.  They were like 88% to make the playoffs with only 7 games to go. 

I still think they’ll get in the playoffs but you really shouldn’t downplay how epically bad it would be to not make the playoffs. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DTrain said:

I agree 100% with everything but your last paragraph. 

If the Marlins don’t end their 17 year playoff drought, it will be an incredible meltdown/missed opportunity.  Don’t kid yourself.  They were like 88% to make the playoffs with only 7 games to go. 

I still think they’ll get in the playoffs but you really shouldn’t downplay how epically bad it would be to not make the playoffs. 

Yes but a one week disappointment doesn't erase what an achievement the rest of the season has been. But yes missing out would hurt.

I just keep thinking that even having the chance to blow the playoff shot in the final week is more than anyone really expected for us.

I also keep thinking about how many teams were awful for the whole season and then had a good final week or so to get in contention, like the Brewers. The goal is a playoff spot yes but I can't help but think the Marlins have had an infinitely better season than a team like the Brewers despite what this final week has supposedly shown.

I still think it'll be ok though. This team is super resilient, the Phillies are still shaky, the Marlins had their two worst pitchers to start this Braves series, and we're still so close to clinching. It might literally take one good win to get right back on track.

And I'm so not ok with anyone who says we don't deserve a spot. What a team "deserves" is super hard to define because yes if you don't have the wins to get in you don't "deserve" to get in but I don't think the team "deserves" to be screwed over based on one tough series either.

32 minutes ago, Michael said:

Y'all notice Atlanta's bats are red hot while losing or tied but suddenly the moment they lead by enough runs, they go completely cold? They're cheating, y'all.

Srsly guys

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

And I'm so not ok with anyone who says we don't deserve a spot. What a team "deserves" is super hard to define because yes if you don't have the wins to get in you don't "deserve" to get in but I don't think the team "deserves" to be screwed over based on one tough series either.

We won the season series over Phillies so if anyone deserves it between the two clubs, then we'd deserve it.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

We won the season series over Phillies so if anyone deserves it between the two clubs, then we'd deserve it.

Plus the 5 wins in a 7 game series over them is no joke. That's not backing in. Marlins took care of business when they needed to over the first two months of the season so they earned their opportunity to make the postseason... definitely not backing in.

Also, it has to be said... this is the damn Miami Marlins... it's never easy for us but we also know how to overcome a lot and we seem to know how to make crazy moments that make the rest of the baseball world think how the hell did that happen. It's more like us to shock the world with a series win over the Yankees in the final weekend than it would have been to just casually win a few more games in Atlanta.