Ng answering questions

1 hour ago, Michael said:

4/80 is after incentives, though, and that means he earned that big boost from the initial 3/50. I've been a proponent of incentive-heavy contracts for a while now, personally.

Here's how I'd see the deal, slightly frontloaded:

Year 1 - $18M, guaranteed

Year 2 - $18M guarantee plus incentives

Year 3 - $14M guarantee (Here's the $50M guarantee) plus incentives

Year 4 - Vesting option (tied to offensive stats) for about $20M (so there's some $10M on the table in incentives alone for him to reach this mark)

So the 4/80 option I'm proposing is basically all earned at the back half. Maybe even throw in another vesting option in year 4 to potentially escalate to 5/100-ish. Not much reason he can't still be good at 37, but again that would be an earned fifth year.

very similar to what i envisioned when i said the 5/100 would probably get it done too (slight overpayment but let's be honest they can A. afford it and B. Miami is not exactly a dream destination...yet).  Solid structure on your side.  I believe I said i'd prefer a 4 or even 3 year deal too - i was just saying 5/100 would get it done pretty easily without risking going to FA and if frontloaded, would make him easier to move at the tail end of the contract and also allow them more flexibility to sign some of our pitchers to extensions when tehy start getting pricier.  It's all conjecture because none of us know how the FA market will shake out with the first full season without covid restrictions in stadiums, plus a (presumably) new CBA, and we also now have to worry about the Mutts with their incredibly wealthy owner who might want to take away the best player off a division rival and also be willing to overpay to do so.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iowa said:

Do people here actually think we'll sign him? I'm trained to laugh at that unfortunately 

I just assume we'll trade him among others

Probably but we can dream as usual.

2 hours ago, Iowa said:

Do people here actually think we'll sign him? I'm trained to laugh at that unfortunately 

I just assume we'll trade him among others

I hope they'll sign him but I am realistic in knowing they likely won't even try to. 

2 minutes ago, Ema2R said:

Gotta love the NO Jesús Sanchez aproach!!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 They are really sticking to it... Impressive!!

now that he's cooled down they can say "well, he needs more time in the minors."

6 hours ago, Michael said:

4/80 is after incentives, though, and that means he earned that big boost from the initial 3/50. I've been a proponent of incentive-heavy contracts for a while now, personally.

Here's how I'd see the deal, slightly frontloaded:

Year 1 - $18M, guaranteed

Year 2 - $18M guarantee plus incentives

Year 3 - $14M guarantee (Here's the $50M guarantee) plus incentives

Year 4 - Vesting option (tied to offensive stats) for about $20M (so there's some $10M on the table in incentives alone for him to reach this mark)

So the 4/80 option I'm proposing is basically all earned at the back half. Maybe even throw in another vesting option in year 4 to potentially escalate to 5/100-ish. Not much reason he can't still be good at 37, but again that would be an earned fifth year.

Appreciate the breakdown. 

Don’t mind a 4yr contract if he isn’t budging at 3 yrs, but the base pay should go down significantly with it being front loaded with additional offensive incentives in the 4th year.

This is conversational for me, nothing more.  If they sign Marte for a higher price then that’s a start in the right direction  

Edited by FishFry

1 hour ago, FishFry said:

This is conversational for me, nothing more.

I didn't see it as anything otherwise. 😁

Your points are well taken by me so far on this topic.

And I agree it's good if they overpay a little just for the positive direction.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 1:06 PM, Erick said:

The question with Marte is how much money the market is offering, and then we can pay him some more if necessary.

The years shouldn’t be a problem. I highly doubt that any team is going to give him 5 years at his age so it shouldn’t be a problem.

He’s likely in the market for a 3-year deal and we’ll probably have to pay 60+ to keep him, especially if he continues at this rate. 

5/100 won’t happen because a good part of his value comes from his ability to play CF, and I’m pretty sure no team expects him to be in CF those 4th & 5th years. Questionable that he could play CF for more than a couple more seasons. I wouldn’t want him for 5/100, despite how good he is and how much I enjoy watching him play.

Idk if it’s 60 plus over 3 years but his market is probably 15-18 mil range.

Then there are 3 guys that I’m looking at that I think would have interest in being here.

1) Carlos Correa was committed to UM before being drafted plus his wife 9/10 would probably want to be here as well. He would escape Altuve’s and the sign stealing scandel’s shadow plus his family and some of his former coaches (I know a few of them) are here now running youth baseball organizations that he has sponsored.

2) If Nick Castellanos opts out then he is another obvious one. Was committed to UM and played for Arch Bishop McCarthy and is another one with close ties to youth baseball specifically in Davie.

3) Anthony Rizzo. See explanation #1:

Edited by ZfromCIS

7 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

Idk if it’s 60 plus over 3 years but his market is probably 15-18 mil range.

Then there are 3 guys that I’m looking at that I think would have interest in being here.

1) Carlos Correa was committed to UM before being drafted plus his wife 9/10 would probably want to be here as well. He would escape Altuve’s and the sign stealing scandel’s shadow plus his family and some of his former coaches (I know a few of them) are here now running youth baseball organizations that he has sponsored.

2) If Nick Castellanos opts out then he is another obvious one. Was committed to UM and played for Arch Bishop McCarthy and is another one with close ties to youth baseball specifically in Davie.

3) Anthony Rizzo. See explanation #1:

I’d rather have Marte than all 3 of those guys.

5 minutes ago, Erick said:

I’d rather have Marte than all 3 of those guys.

It’s not a “Player A” over Marte response. Just guys who might have interest in being here. Rizzo still lives here and is probably the most probable just based of his personality. I can def see them going 20 a year for him especially if the DH rule is implemented and they resign Marte. IMO if they bring Marte back then it’s time to compete and they’re going to look to bring consistency and stability to the lineup card. What’s Rizzo’s biggest strength? His consistency.

• Like 1