Ng answering questions

I love how every time Kim Ng is asked about a specific player, she says she needs more time to evaluate the player. She "wants to get a pretty good idea" of what Jazz is going to be in the future. Said the same thing about Brian Anderson before the season. 

Mike Hill gave better answers in his interviews, and he couldn't have been more political.

Also, she's basically admitting that the offense stinks and she expected it to stink/did nothing about it? Lol. 

• Like 5

She's not envisioned Marlins a high scoring team for just this year or "forever " ? did this team not deserved to be a high scoring team or they just shouldn't be a high scoring team ? maybe after all it's illegal for Marlins to be a high scoring team …

I mean what did you expect her to do with no real budget to acquire players?

Since the Marlins make decisions as a group, I"m sure one of 'Jeter's guys' are big fans of Berti and wouldnt give him up for Andrew, you know since they 'found him' when others didnt see a big leaguer player in him.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

That's just great 

-They must not have looked hard - the only rumor we heard about was looking into Anibal Sanchez, who is still unsigned by anyone.

-The "looking for consistency" line - while true - I can tell is going to be an annoying one that keeps popping up from her.

-I dislike the fact that it sounds like they've not even considered extending Marte.

-Nobody told her pitching-centric teams still need to score runs to win.  Sure 70% 3 runs or less, but when you lose 70% of those, it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Das Texan said:

what competent 2b/3b/ss guys are even out there right now?

If you go on the Twitters, it's all hindsight GMs. "We could have had --" yeah, maybe, but no.

I do blame the FO / ownership around Ng a bit for taking so long on the TV deal and ballpark naming rights. If they had secured that a little earlier (say, October?), then she (and the other decision-makers) would have had (some/more) money to spend.

This coming offseason will be really telling as to the cheapness or otherwise of this group. And to anyone who says "that's moving goalposts back," I will tell you now, yes, it is moving them a little bit, but that's as far back as they'll go for me. I said at the start that I'm giving this group five years. 2022 is year five. Need a winning record next year and something that looks sustainable.

There should have been call-ups already, I'll agree with that. They're probably waiting until the trade deadline unfortunately. I have no proof of this! Just speculation. They don't want to bench millions of dollars which is unfortunate. It's not showing commitment to winning at all costs right now and we are seeing some of that unfold.

Just my two cents (which is now seven cents but worth less than those two cents due to inflation).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael said:

I do blame the FO / ownership around Ng a bit for taking so long on the TV deal and ballpark naming rights. If they had secured that a little earlier (say, October?), then she (and the other decision-makers) would have had (some/more) money to spend.

This coming offseason will be really telling as to the cheapness or otherwise of this group. And to anyone who says "that's moving goalposts back," I will tell you now, yes, it is moving them a little bit, but that's as far back as they'll go for me. I said at the start that I'm giving this group five years. 2022 is year five. Need a winning record next year and something that looks sustainable.

There should have been call-ups already, I'll agree with that. They're probably waiting until the trade deadline unfortunately. I have no proof of this! Just speculation. They don't want to bench millions of dollars which is unfortunate. It's not showing commitment to winning at all costs right now and we are seeing some of that unfold.

Just my two cents (which is now seven cents but worth less than those two cents due to inflation).

Probably spot on in regards to the TV deal and naming rights.  The front office dicked around so long they had no money to spend this past winter.  With the reduced revenue last year that probably added to it all. 

The only call up that should have reasonably happened is the Sanchez one.  But they are also stubborn and are not replacing Dickerson/Duvall on a regular basis and probably feel Jesus cannot play CF (not that he would replace Marte anyway).

There is no other call up not on the 40 man that you can really fault them for.  

They have a roster crunch due to injury as does half of MLB teams.  

Waiting until the trade deadline is spot on as well.  Its a more traditional group it seems, and traditional means you start to really evaluate and look at making moves from the All Star break to the deadline.

What makes things problematic is that Jeter said winning is basically all that matters, but thats not how he acts when it comes to player decisions. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Michael said:

The fact they seemingly haven't even considered talking to Marte about an extension with the trade deadline coming up is a raising a big red flag to me on the spending money front.

He's been a great acquisition, and a stabilizing force in the lineup, not to mention the most consistent fielder/hitter on the roster - why would you not want that on your team long term?

Obviously there's still time, and maybe it wouldn't take that long to work something out, but why not start early?  And don't give me Ng's go-to line of “We’re just looking for consistency.....Want to get a “pretty good idea” of the guy he is going to be in the future." before considering an extension.

Edited by rmc523

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Das Texan said:

what competent 2b/3b/ss guys are even out there right now?

There’s one on our team. Miguel Rojas, but from the article recently put out on the Herald, the focus isn’t necessarily on re-signing him either. That would be quite a slap in the face if they don’t consider bringing him back considering all he’s done for this franchise, on and off the field.

Kim Ng talks about players as if they’re robots. I wonder if they’ve noticed.

Edited by Erick
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Erick said:

There’s one on our team. Miguel Rojas, but from the article recently put out on the Herald, the focus isn’t necessarily on re-signing him either. That would be quite a slap in the face if they don’t consider bringing him back considering all he’s done for this franchise, on and off the field.

You mean she's too much hard headed ?

36 minutes ago, Erick said:

Well he isnt a free agent and is under contract currently.

Until he signs somewhere else, its kinda hard to fault the front office for it.  Will it cost more money?  maybe yes.  Will it cost less?  Also maybe yes.

I dont get this we have to sign a guy early to an extension or we dont like him mindset.  

38 minutes ago, Erick said:

Miggy on the Chris Rose Pod a few weeks ago said that he would love to be part of our FO in the future when asked what one job he would like to do at the stadium outside of wearing a uniform. I believe it’s the same interview where they interviewed Castellanos, another Marlins fan growing up and really made me regret that we didn’t pick him up when we were rumored. The way Miggy talks about the team every time I’ve listened to him has been shining. The Marlins really need some players that are sold on the team rather than those that are here strictly by contract.  I know that’s what they play for but it’s nice having a player that actually cares about the franchise definitely doesn’t hurt that he is a more than capable player and good locker room presence. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AeroFishOne said:

Miggy on the Chris Rose Pod a few weeks ago said that he would love to be part of our FO in the future when asked what one job he would like to do at the stadium outside of wearing a uniform. I believe it’s the same interview where they interviewed Castellanos, another Marlins fan growing up and really made me regret that we didn’t pick him up when we were rumored. The way Miggy talks about the team every time I’ve listened to him has been shining. The Marlins really need some players that are sold on the team rather than those that are here strictly by contract.  I know that’s what they play for but it’s nice having a player that actually cares about the franchise definitely doesn’t hurt that he is a more than capable player and good locker room presence. 

He's the Cap'n for a reason.  Hard not to really love the guy. He's always positive no matter what the scenario. He roots hard for his team on social media when he's out and he really, truly, busted his ASS to become the player he is.  The defense was there but man he has really put in the time and effort to really become a decent bat over the years.  He's just an awesome dude to have on a team and the very epitome of what people think of when they think of a clubhouse leader. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Well he isnt a free agent and is under contract currently.

Until he signs somewhere else, its kinda hard to fault the front office for it.  Will it cost more money?  maybe yes.  Will it cost less?  Also maybe yes.

I dont get this we have to sign a guy early to an extension or we dont like him mindset.  

Give a politically correct statement that you’re interested at least. It would be nice for the fans.

Could’ve done the same with Marte. Instead we get a blah answer of there being no discussions. The optics make it seem like they’re not even interested in discussing.

You literally stopped being a Marlins fan because of Loria, and sometimes it feels like he’s still here. We, the real Marlins fans, would like to see an interest in spending money at this point of the rebuild.

For all the talk of Kim Ng inheriting a bad situation, it’s worth noting that she actually inherited one of the best starting rotations in the big leagues that any GM would love to have. Fans don’t want to hear the excuses.

Edited by Erick
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Erick said:

Give a politically correct statement that you’re interested at least. It would be nice for the fans.

Could’ve done the same with Marte. Instead we get a blah answer of there being no discussions. The optics make it seem like they’re not even interested in discussing.

You literally stopped being a Marlins fan because of Loria, and sometimes it feels like he’s still here. We, the real Marlins fans, would like to see an interest in spending money at this point of the rebuild.

For all the talk of Kim Ng inheriting a bad situation, it’s worth noting that she actually inherited one of the best starting rotations in the big leagues that any GM would love to have. Fans don’t want to hear the excuses.

Or even just say "we haven't yet, but plan to look into some extension talks soon."

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.