Rays, Franco Agree to Mega-Deal

Michael

I mean yea cool to see the Rays doing this but I'm still not convinced with all these guys getting massive extensions so early into their careers. Yeah Franco is great but give him some time in the league before going this route I say. Didn't the Phillies blow their load with Kingery on a deal like this? I feel like these types of deals are gonna backfire on the team more often than not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I mean yea cool to see the Rays doing this but I'm still not convinced with all these guys getting massive extensions so early into their careers. Yeah Franco is great but give him some time in the league before going this route I say. Didn't the Phillies blow their load with Kingery on a deal like this? I feel like these types of deals are gonna backfire on the team more often than not.

My point is more spending money in general, rather than early big extensions.

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

My point is more spending money in general, rather than early big extensions.

Wasn't talking about that, you're right there for sure. 

I'm talking about these guys being extended in their rookie seasons or earlier. I mean I don't think we should give, say, Edward Cabrera a mega extension this offseason right?

4 minutes ago, Michael said:

Sure but it wasn't a large deal. Certainly nothing like this.

I know but the dollar figure isn't the point. It's the trend to guarantee these kids so much money before they've proven they can stick in the majors.

Jon Singleton and the Astros come to mind as well.

33 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I know but the dollar figure isn't the point. It's the trend to guarantee these kids so much money before they've proven they can stick in the majors.

Jon Singleton and the Astros come to mind as well.

Mariners did this with ... was it Evan White? Recently. Before he even debuted.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Wasn't talking about that, you're right there for sure. 

I'm talking about these guys being extended in their rookie seasons or earlier. I mean I don't think we should give, say, Edward Cabrera a mega extension this offseason right?

Oh I agree  Prove.....something.....to me first.  Sandy was handled well.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

6yr/ 24 mil

hardly blowing any load. 

only natural for this contract to grow as it goes along, given his next what?  2 years would be pre arbitration and then into arbitration years.

by then they will be in Montreal full time anyway. 

Also, Tampa is technically a larger media market than Miami so....