Pudge returning a possibility?

MasterChief

Pudge returning still a possibility

By Arthur V. Claps, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 31, 2003

DELRAY BEACH -- With his Marlins cap and uniform tucked away, Pudge Rodriguez has yet to find a new baseball home.

The post-season hero still is searching for a team but hasn't ruled out a return to the Marlins.

"It's possible," Rodriguez said. "Right now, though, it's going to be tough because I don't want to miss (the first month of the season.)."

With the slow market, there is a chance that Rodriguez will be available May 1, when the Marlins will next be able to negotiate with him. Given that possibility, Rodriguez said he's open to talking with the Marlins again.

"We have to at least wait," Rodriguez said. "That's all you could do."

Rodriguez, making his first public appearance since parting ways with the Marlins three weeks ago, said Tuesday he will miss playing in the area but doesn't regret the choices he's made this off-season.

"To finally come to Miami, after living here for five years, was just great," Rodriguez said after addressing more than 200 youngsters at a clinic at the Bucky Dent Baseball Academy. "I love Miami. I loved playing here. It's tough to leave it behind, but I'm still a part of the community."

In early December, Rodriguez, the MVP of the National League Championship Series, ended his one-year stay with the Marlins after spurning the team's initial two-year, $16 million to $18 million offer and a final undisclosed offer minutes before the league's arbitration deadline. Rodriguez told the Marlins he would not take a pay cut.

The team still owes the catcher $7 million in deferred money from the one-year, $10 million deal he signed in January.

But the 10-time All-Star has yet find a taker for his four-year, $40 million demand. The Chicago Cubs and Baltimore Orioles, two of Rodriguez's strongest pursuers, balked at deals. Now they are just a few suitors, with the Los Angeles Dodgers leading the list.

"That's the way free agency is," said Rodriguez, who has spent the past three months relaxing in his South Beach home and vacationing on his yacht in the Caribbean. "I'm very confident it'll work out for the best. It always does."

Rodriguez wouldn't say whether he will back off from his $10 million-a-year desire.

Unless General Manager Admin Beinfest makes a move in the next month, the Marlins will enter the season with Ramon Castro, Rodriguez's boyhood friend from Puerto Rico, as the starting catcher and veteran Mike Redmond as their back-up.

"Last season was just unbelievable, winning the World Series was amazing," said Rodriguez, who batted.287 with 16 home runs and 85 RBI in regular season and added three home runs and 17 RBI in the post-season.

"But they have all the big guys back. They'll go into spring training as a contender. They'll be fine."

It'd be interesting to see how everyone reacts. Especially fans in the stadium when his name is called, would you boo or cheer? :confused

I would just do with what I used to do with Alex Gonzalez when I knew he was going to mess it up. When his name is called I'll just stay silent. If there is anything I hated when I played, it was no response. Because Boo or Cheer, at least they know who you are and/or what you have done.

Guest marlins02

silence sounds good, a 100 dollar bill with Pudge's face on it saying "this aint anywhere near enough to keep my statue and yacht" would look good to.

If he comes back as a Marlin I'll laugh at him and yell at him for being an idiot. But Pudge won't let that happen. It'll make him look like such an idiot (he is one).

When he comes back as a Dodger or something like that I hope the whole crowd boos him. He deserves to be booed.

Lol,if pudge comes back(hope not)he could get hit by a rock,by a fan :shifty

Because there are so many spare rocks lying around Pro Player Stadium. :rolleyes: "The fan" will bring it in his pocket with a slingshot...... :whistle :shifty And it's extreamely easy to get a slingshot into the stadium.

Lol,if pudge comes back(hope not)he could get hit by a rock,by a fan :shifty

Because there are so many spare rocks lying around Pro Player Stadium. :rolleyes: "The fan" will bring it in his pocket with a slingshot...... :whistle :shifty And it's extreamely easy to get a slingshot into the stadium. Actually it is. :confused