Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Home Run Derby

Featured Replies

Anyone watching?

Adley Rutchman is amazing. I haven’t really seen him before. But that dude can flat out hit. Power hitter Switch hitting Catcher? Insane. Too bad Marlins were 4th place in 2019 draft instead of 1st. 😂

Anyways Rutchman hit 27 HRs in the Derby from both sides of the plate!

Luis Robert Jr just came in and eliminated him immediately afterwards. 
 

This is a really fun Derby so far. Wanted to see Soler, but well, so far it’s very entertaining!

They need to either fully enforce the rule of the ball having to land before the next pitch or they need to bring back outs. It's too hard to follow now. Can't admire the insane homers.

My idea:

 - Bring back 10 outs

 - Require ball to land

 - 7 second pitch clock after ball lands

 

This is safer for the fans, those watching get to truly enjoy the homers, and there's little downtime. Everyone wins.

  • Author
2 minutes ago, Michael said:

They need to either fully enforce the rule of the ball having to land before the next pitch or they need to bring back outs. It's too hard to follow now. Can't admire the insane homers.

My idea:

 - Bring back 10 outs

 - Require ball to land

 - 7 second pitch clock after ball lands

 

This is safer for the fans, those watching get to truly enjoy the homers, and there's little downtime. Everyone wins.

Yeah, I feel like everything now is just about speed and trying to make things exciting by speeding things up because of viewers short attention span. But yeah.. it was more exciting actually when you could enjoy the epic HRs.

Like in 1999 I remember Mark McGwire hitting HRs over the Green Monster. I think he might have just hit 13 HRs in one round and that was considered incredible at the time. By today’s standards that would be pitiful, but back then it was so exciting and a big part of that was giving fans and viewers a chance to appreciate them.

3 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Yeah, I feel like everything now is just about speed and trying to make things exciting by speeding things up because of viewers short attention span. But yeah.. it was more exciting actually when you could enjoy the epic HRs.

Like in 1999 I remember Mark McGwire hitting HRs over the Green Monster. I think he might have just hit 13 HRs in one round and that was considered incredible at the time. By today’s standards that would be pitiful, but back then it was so exciting and a big part of that was giving fans and viewers a chance to appreciate them.

Ohtani hit one like 538 in Colorado two years ago and we didn't even know until after his round ended.

  • Author

Unfortunately I don’t see them ever going back to the old format. Since these days it’s really about quantity over quality. Trying to make it fast and exciting like the 3 point contest instead of slower but epic like the slam dunk contest.

  • Author
6 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

It's gonna be Robert vs Rodriquez in the final.

Don’t know.. Arozarena is putting on quite a show

50 minutes ago, Michael said:

They need to either fully enforce the rule of the ball having to land before the next pitch or they need to bring back outs. It's too hard to follow now. Can't admire the insane homers.

My idea:

 - Bring back 10 outs

 - Require ball to land

 - 7 second pitch clock after ball lands

 

This is safer for the fans, those watching get to truly enjoy the homers, and there's little downtime. Everyone wins.

I agreed 💯 until Julio hit the 41 😆 

19 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

I agreed 💯 until Julio hit the 41 😆 

Still would be around 7, 8 minutes tops. Lol. Better than a 25 minute round.

10 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

It was so great seeing Randy Arozarena representing my St. Louis Cardinals!

 

Oh wait....

You must feel so Liberatored.

Call me crazy but I preferred the NL and AL ASG jerseys to be worn in the HR Derby and for regular uniforms worn in the ASG game. I hate that they've now flipped it. The HR Derby is not a game, wear the ASG jersey there cuz it's like a warmup jersey. And also I don't like the overly modified jerseys like last year's. Just add a patch and I'm cool with the stars thing on the jerseys and the caps but stop changing them so drastically. 

8 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Call me crazy but I preferred the NL and AL ASG jerseys to be worn in the HR Derby and for regular uniforms worn in the ASG game. I hate that they've now flipped it. The HR Derby is not a game, wear the ASG jersey there cuz it's like a warmup jersey. And also I don't like the overly modified jerseys like last year's. Just add a patch and I'm cool with the stars thing on the jerseys and the caps but stop changing them so drastically. 

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

15 hours ago, Michael said:

They need to either fully enforce the rule of the ball having to land before the next pitch or they need to bring back outs. It's too hard to follow now. Can't admire the insane homers.

My idea:

 - Bring back 10 outs

 - Require ball to land

 - 7 second pitch clock after ball lands

 

This is safer for the fans, those watching get to truly enjoy the homers, and there's little downtime. Everyone wins.

 

Yeah, this is the first Derby I've tuned in for since 2017.  I watched only a few minutes of it because I hated how they do it.  They had to have a split screen because the guy is hitting another ball before you even know if the last one made it or not.  And on top of that, the camera guy is trying to track multiple ball paths at once, so the camera is bouncing around or switching between multiple cameras.  It's like WTF?  Where do I watch?  I can't even see the ball.

 

The only good thing was we don't have to listen to that Chris Berman guy or whatever his name was saying "back back back back back back back back" 800,000 times.

It takes too goddamn long now and just to watch dudes just rapid fire swinging at shit. I liked it much better in the original format as well. I liked dudes gearing up to really try and hit the ball as far as possible versus just trying to hit as many as possible. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.