John Henry Complains!!

Billy Goat

Boston owner: Rodriguez deal shows system 'woefully out of whack'

February 18, 2004

BOSTON (AP) -- Red Sox owner John Henry now believes a salary cap could be good for baseball after watching the rival Yankees trade for Alex Rodriguez -- a deal his own franchise could not complete.

Henry said in an e-mail response to reporters early Wednesday morning that he is changing his mind on whether the sport needs a salary cap ``to deal with a team that has gone so insanely far beyond the resources of all the other teams.''

The Yankees' payroll is about $186 million after they acquired Rodriguez from the Texas Rangers earlier this week in exchange for Alfonso Soriano and a minor leaguer to be named.

But the number would come down by about $5 million if third baseman Aaron Boone is released. Boston is expected to be second at about $125 million.

``One thing is certain the status quo will not be preserved,'' Henry wrote.

``There must be a way to cap what a team can spend without hurting player compensation ... without taking away from the players what they have rightfully earned in the past through negotiation and in creating tremendous value. There is a simple mechanism that could right a system woefully out of whack.''

Henry's comments come after his team failed in its bid to land the reigning American League MVP.

The Red Sox tried to trade Manny Ramirez, the second highest-paid player in baseball, for Rodriguez this winter. But talks fell apart because the two sides could not agree on how to divide the remaining $179 million on Rodriguez's contract.

The Yankees were able to absorb Rodriguez's salary without dumping a major star.

``Baseball doesn't have an answer for the Yankees,'' Henry said. ``Revenue sharing can only accomplish so much. At some point it becomes confiscation. It has not and it will not solve what is a very obvious problem.''

I dont know why i have this feeling. but with the most firepower in history, I just think the yankees will self-destruct. at this point anything short of WINNING the WS is underachieving. and i dont think they can do it. i dont kno why but i see it being 2 much pressure. its really hard 2 tell some1 they MUST win the WS, which is what steinbrenner is saying.

I dont know why i have this feeling. but with the most firepower in history, I just think the yankees will self-destruct. at this point anything short of WINNING the WS is underachieving. and i dont think they can do it. i dont kno why but i see it being 2 much pressure. its really hard 2 tell some1 they MUST win the WS, which is what steinbrenner is saying.

i also have the same feeling.

true, true

if the yanks take it one game at a time... and each player on that team produces like their capable of, you got one hell of a team. with lofton getting on base, then jeter making contact, arod can do a # of things and then giambi batting clean up (who by the way lost 25 pounds and has worked out during off season) this team will be crazy. Then you got sheffield who is a 40 hr guy, and bernie and matsui and posada... isnt this similar to what ben affleck said?

if the yanks take it one game at a time... and each player on that team produces like their capable of, you got one hell of a team. with lofton getting on base, then jeter making contact, arod can do a # of things and then giambi batting clean up (who by the way lost 25 pounds and has worked out during off season) this team will be crazy. Then you got sheffield who is a 40 hr guy, and bernie and matsui and posada... isnt this similar to what ben affleck said?

Beleive me, this team can be the best of all time, and for the price it should be.

Sounds like alot of whining on Henry's part.....who only spent what.....$125M????

Give me a break.

His only motivation is to find a way to keep up with the Yankees, as he is already tapped out. Henry could care a less what is in the best interest of baseball as a whole. :thumbdown

i can tell your not very fond of the guy i wonder why!?! ;)

Sounds like alot of whining on Henry's part.....who only spent what.....$125M????

Give me a break.

His only motivation is to find a way to keep up with the Yankees, as he is already tapped out. Henry could care a less what is in the best interest of baseball as a whole. :thumbdown

i can tell your not very fond of the guy i wonder why!?! ;) Between Henry and that other loser....what's his name?.....High zinger.....they just about killed baseball here in South Florida..

You're correct.

I have zero allegiance to either of them.

I DONT think a salary cap is the answer and I think that baseball has got it right by not implementing one. First of all, it goes against what American business is like in the first place - we are a capitalist nation and baseball reflects that. Steinbrenner has made great moves with his club and has constantly re-invested the money from his franchise BACK into his franchise. He loves the game and wants to win. He is not trying to get rich off his baseball team like a lot of these other owners try to do. This is purely jealousy.

At what point is this out of hand anyway? So the Yankees have a $180M payroll - the Red Sox arent exactly slouches with a $125M payroll. If they had gotten Arod their payroll would have been significantly higher and very close to that of the Yanks. The Yankees added Arod, but they lost a lot of higher costing free agents and will probably release Boone because of his terrible basketball accident. It is pretty much a wash for the Yanks financially. And George is going to be paying the luxury tax.

I think this team will have some significant injuries and Torre may become the scapegoat for Steinbrenner - which would be a travesty. And if this team fails, the salary cap BS will stop. Right now, this is purely jealousy and Henry needs to get a grip. That team is going to have a lot of problems too because of the way they treated Ramirez and Nomah! I wouldnt be surprised if the Blue Jays stole the division...

What I don't get in all this hand-wringing over the Yankees is that nobody points out that other teams didn't even try to get him. Considering Texas was willing to pay $9 million/year of his salary, how come the Dodgers, Cubs, or White Sox didn't try to acquire A-Rod? How come Seattle didn't try to re-acquire him, since he would cost LESS than what they offered him 3 years ago AND they just cleared $8 million off their books with Sasaki going back to Japan? All of these teams had expiring contracts and young players that they could've given to Texas.

People need to stop blaming the Yankees, because other teams are too afraid or too cheap to act.

Cashman is one of the elite GMs in baseball and it is not just because of the financial freedom, anyone you talk to about front office executives tells you Brian Cashman NEVER gives up he is relentlessly calling all the other GMs just to find out what they are thinking and who might be available.

Much like what Fish Fry said why wouldnt any other team offer some top prospects or soon to be free agents for the best player in baseball for the 'bargain" price of $16 million...