Everything posted by bollostar
-
sportscenter
Just don't watch ESPN. Download the highlights from mlb.com and get your baseball info there. ESPN has become a soap operah channel for casual sports fans. Us hardcores need to turn the page (but do leave a bookmark for the Sports Guy, he's the only guy worth it).
-
Marlins Mailbag 12 Jun 06
What a lousy excuse for a mailbag...
-
We arent last!
SI.com only has us ahead of KC and Pitt.
-
12-6
Our road record has improved to 14-20.....I can think of a number of past Marlins teams that could have really used a 6-3 Western trip...... 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005 teams.
-
MB.Com Fantasy Football League
I'm in. Only 3 spots left.
-
Franklyn German
By the way, German made through waivers :thumbup
-
Question about Herges, Petit and Mitre.
i don't think many teams, if any, will be interested in mitre. especially after having a slow start to the season and just coming off the DL. Herges is the official mop-up reliever. he needs to be released, i have no idea what's taking so long. pinto's the most likely to get called up....ungs is a possibility. note: bump (haven't heard about him in a while), vargas, & resop are doing poorly. petit i think will stay because we frankly don't have a RP who has a hot hand right now in the minors..ungs could be called up in place of him.....is ungs a starter or reliever? Ungs is a starter and will need to be placed on the 40 man roster.....Bump is headed for the DL again and is scheduled for more surgery this next week....scar tissue buildup removal...Resop is in need of a confidence boost....once that comes into play he should be lights out....he is developing his cutter to compliment his fast ball and breaking pitch....that should certainly help him out...A winter in Arizona fall league would not hurt....Vargas is on the right track as well...both will be back up in due time....watch and see Vargas on the right track? I don't have the stats with me (and I'm too lazy to look right now), so I honestly don't know, but last I heard he was getting hammered in AAA.
-
Joe must have read our thread about Reggie.
Jake is a force when protected by Cabrera.
-
Latest BA 1st Round Mock
Just noticed that that Anderson feller they had us picking was nowhere to be seen in the first round or in the sandwhich picks.
-
Question about Herges, Petit and Mitre.
Whats the more telling split? His road era or his completely pathetic home era? Let me tell you something, his home splits, in a pitchers park, no matter how horrible they are...he is overperforming. He is way overperforming on the road. Once again, I ask you to look at how good the pitching has been since he's been hurt and others have gotten his innings. Hopefully, he isnt back on this team anytime soon. And no, as I can tell you watching darn near every time he's pitched, his stuff is not MLB quality. I'm tired of your crap. Fact 1: If you can strike out 28 batters in 35 innings while only walking 13, your stuff IS big league quality, regardless of what some loser at some board says. Fact 2: If you make six starts, and in 3 of those you allow a combined 4 runs in 18.1 innings pitched, you probably belong in whichever league you're playing. Fact 3: In one of his "bad" starts he went 6 innings and allowed 6 hits and 4 runs. That still kept us in the game. Fact 4: He's only had 2 real bad starts in six tries, allowing 5 and 7 runs in those. In the 5 run start, he still went 6 innings, so that makes up for it a bit. And in the 7 run (6 earned) start, it was mostly the defense letting him down. Plus, something wasn't right with him in at the time, as suggested by him not even lasting 1 batter in his next start and eventually landing on the DL. Once again, I ask you to look at how good the pitching has been since he's been hurt and others have gotten his innings. Hopefully, he isnt back on this team anytime soon. Fact 5: Mitre's injury has given his innings to Nolasco. Nobody else. Mitre's injury didn't have an ounce to do with Moehler's improvement during our hot stretch. Ditto for Willis' improvement. Ditto for the bullpen. And Josh has been starting in place of Vargas. So, again, you have no point. Look, we all realize he hasn't been, and probably never will be spectacular. But his ability to whiff people, along with the low walk totals at age 25, tell you there is a decent chance of him becoming an above average pitcher in a year or two.
-
Largest 9th inning comeback ever?
We blew a 7 run lead in the 9th against the Cards last year. We got some payback tonight, however. Ouch. That musn't have been too far from the record. It probably stands at around 9 runs.
-
Question about Herges, Petit and Mitre.
Looks like Petit's lack of work really showed today. He needs to be sent down to get consistent innings.
-
Largest 9th inning comeback ever?
Can anybody give me that little trivia answer? I'm kinda curious about this.
-
Turn around
What do you think contributed to the turn around in the Marlins season, we are currently 7-3 in our last ten games? Do you guys think this can hold up for the remainder of the season? Hopefully we got all our losing out of the way in the begining of the season? Getting a little ahead of ourselves, ain't we? Anyway, the reason we've been playing solid ball lately is very simple: Pitching. Willis snapped out of his funk. So did Moehler. Johnson has been a stud. The bullpen hasn't given up as many runs as they were earlier in the season. All pitching. Just don't go expecting us to play .700 ball the rest of the way. That's beyond ridiculous. Be happy if we play .500.
-
I was wrong about Kensing!
WM2003 your a good guy but damn right ur wrng. Kensing is a stud. Always has been, walwys will be. He sit;;l get wins as a starter, whne spt startsr are neccemsearry I had to read this very slowly.
-
Uggla's play shows pronounced gains
I seem to recall the last gritty type no name player that we had start at 2B, and his efforts remind me a lot of him...Craig Counsell. You stole my post! Anyway, I agree... I think Uggla is like a Craig Counsell with a better bat and less speed.
-
Messenger & Kensing
Messenger: 20.1 IP, 19 H, 3.98 ERA, 19 to 3 K/BB. Kensing: 11.2, 9 H, 4.65 ERA, 14 to 7 K/BB. Both players (much maligned on this board) have allowed fewer hits than innings pitched, with some very good K/BB ratios (especially Messenger). And Kensing has struck out 14 in 11.2 innings. I know, small sample, and he has been horrible the past couple of years in the bigs (albeit in a small sample as well), but those Ks this year suggest that he does have the stuff to miss bats and could turn into a pretty decent reliever for us. I'm far more impressed with Messenger though. I mean, 19 Ks and 3 walks in 20.1 innings? Amazing control, and he's still 24.
-
Scott Olsen.
Does anyone remember that game at TB last season that Olsen pitched? He only had 1 earned, I think. I can't remember how many innings he went, but I remember that being a great game for him (we won 1-0) It doesn't get any better than giving up a run in a 1-0 victory :shifty
-
Marlins notes?
What the !#$% is going on? Is it no longer good enough to avoid every link with the word "Bonds" in it? Why the heck is the following excerpt inside a MARLINS NOTES? !@#!@% bullcrap. Bonds reflects: Before Monday's game, Barry Bonds spoke about an array of topics from his landmark 715th home run to the NBA playoffs and his thoughts on Girardi. Girardi, a former catcher, calls Bonds the greatest player he played against. Bonds on Monday said, "I'm glad [Girardi] had an opportunity to manage. He's a good dude." Bonds is a fan of several Miami Heat players, including Shaquille O'Neal, Dwayne Wade and Alonzo Mourning. "I want to see Dwayne Wade win because he's a talented athlete," Bonds said. Bonds added he likes the way the Dallas Mavericks play, too. He also admires Mourning, who has battled through a kidney transplant. "I like Alonzo Mourning as well for all the things he's gone through," Bonds said. Bonds passed Babe Ruth's magical 714 home run total Sunday in San Francisco. If he feels healthy, he said Monday that he plans to keep playing beyond this season, which would give him an excellent chance to catch Hank Aaron's 755 homers. Is anything there newsworthy? Are any of his comments representative of an IQ in the positive number range? Does anybody give a crap about anything that is said there? Why are we being force-fed Bonds stories even when we are purposefully trying to avoid them? This is complete bullcrap.
-
Scott O. vs. Joe G.
A boss should NEVER grab an employee. Joe Girardi was wrong and owes Olsen a public apology. That being said, Scott Olsen better grow up fast. You have to be kidding me. Hey, this is not a cozy office job we're talking about. This is physical labor with millions of dollars at stake. If a boss feels the need to pull a guy by his shirt (pulled by his shirt!? god forbid!) and give him some well deserved criticism, then so be it. If Olsen doesn't like it, he can always go to the safe confines of an 8 to 5 office job, where he can be assured that nobody will ever touch him.
-
Scott O. vs. Joe G.
He/she can't possibly feel this strongly about such a girly incident. I think he's/she's just arguing for the sake of arguing, being that it's him/her against all of us and that probably empowers him/her a bit. Or maybe he/she has a "touch" complex. Bottom line: It's best to ignore him/her.
-
Scott O. vs. Joe G.
yeah I'm sure Girardi won't talk about it. He likes to keep things in-house. Sorry, but once it's seen by the public it's no longer "in-house." Who the hell does Girardi think he is...Bobby Knight???? If he's not suspended for manhandling Olsen, it's a bad example. And Girardi does a segment for kids on FSN?? Great thing for a kid to see on the news. Only two people could disclipine me...my parents. If I was Olsen and Girardi laid a hand on me, as Pat Travers would say, "Boom Boom Out Go The Lights." You talk...not touch. Shame that Joey Pitbull doesn't realize that... Erm... Never mind :plain hahahha manhandling? Please. I'd hate to see what you think of a real fight where punches are thrown. I like the move from Joe. He has shown he isn't going to take any sh*t from the young guys on this team and if they aren't getting the message than he isn't afraid to yell/send em to Albequerque. Evidently Joey Pitbull has never heard of the Lenny Randle/Frank Lucchesi story from 1976 or '77. Great message...grab a player. Steinbrenner must be happy at that, as is Bobby Knight... And yeah, I have been in real fights...I've lost more than I won, but I didn't back down. If I was Olsen, the instant Girardi laid a hand on me...BOOM! Talk, yes. Criticize, yes. Touch...all rules go out the door. Leyland didn't take crap either, but he didn't grab. Bit touchy, ain't we?
-
Scott olsen
Seems likely. He's going to have to look pretty good tomorrow.
-
Marlins activate Hermida; demote Andino
Can't wait to see him starting tommorrow ! Although I've said all along put him right back in the # 2 spot, I couldn't see anyone justifying moving Uggla down right now. 1. Hanley 2. Uggla 3. Cabs 4. Willingham 5. Hermida 6. Reggie 7. Jacobs 8. Olivo. I like that... I like your thinking on the line-up but would change Hermida and Hammer and Reggie and Jacobs. Its just me I like a L-R-L-R type line-up. Any way you put it down though I'll be happy to have those in the starting 8. Explain to me how that doesn't apply to the original poster's lineup.
-
Players comments after todays loss.
Hopefully he is still around after the season (Trelle). I am really dreading what is going to go on with our FO. I don't want to lose him either. But if we do, I feel pretty confident that Beinfest will get a king's ransom for him or else he won't deal. thats probably true :thumbup If only MLB would impose a salary floor, say 40-50M, we'd have no worries about this.