Everything posted by bobbob1313
-
7/3/2007 -- Marlins at Padres -- 10:05 PM EDT
God, I wish I knew what a BLIBS was? I'm guessing it's something he made up to mock the "BABIP" thread. But I could be wrong.
-
Yusmeiro Petit did well tonight
Petit's been good, but the Marlins certainly got the better end of the deal. We need more bullpen arms, not starting pitching. Funniest post ever.
-
Marlins need to trade Hermida for his own good
You know the cold-blooded stat guys are in trouble when they find a stat that takes into account "bad luck". I mean seriously. I thought I had seen it all. News flash folks. Sustained bad luck does not exist. I will maybe agree that one can experience "short term bad luck" but seriously, some of you must be joking. Thats absolutely untrue. It is untrue for both pitchers and hitters, and it is because for the most part a player cannot control what happens to the ball once it is put into play. That is why from year to year there is very little fluctuation on BABIP, yet player by player there is. It explains why one guy can strike out 75 times, walk 100 times, and hit 50 home runs 2 years in a row and yet one year hit like .325 and the next hit .290. That is another big reason why batting average isn't a good indicator of skill. And what we are all arguing is that Hermida is going through some short term bad luck, and that over the course of the season, hopefully it will balance out, since it does for most players. Hermida's going to have like a 2 week stretch where he hits .450 and all of the bloop hits fall in and Tommy will attribute it to him "getting his confidence back" or some such nonsense and, thanks to this thread you will be able to smile knowingly, because you will know that it's simply regression to the mean.
-
Marlins need to trade Hermida for his own good
You know the cold-blooded stat guys are in trouble when they find a stat that takes into account "bad luck". i guess much like anything else...you can overanalyze baseball...there is a reason why after 150 years...people still look at era, wins, batting average, hrs, and rbi''s to tell the story of a particular game rather than guesstimates People who are paid alot of money to make decisions about baseball (your Billy Beanes, Your Bill James', basically any GM) don't really look at era, wins, ba, hr, or rbi. The people who do are people like Tim McCarver, Joe Morgan, and John Kruk (i.e. stupid people). There's a reason Billy Beane has had so much success eschewing common knowledge in favor of "sabrmetrics", and there's a reason most teams in baseball are following his lead.
-
Marlins need to trade Hermida for his own good
personally...i think its useless to defend anyone hitting .220...but whatever...i dont worship at the altar of OPS Well OPS is a lot more important than AVG but Hermida is also stinking it up in the OPS department. I guess if you compare Hermida's OPS with samples that include pitchers and catchers, like his apologist like to do, then he almost looks okay, but still below average, but those are retarded comparisons. You compare him to the rest of the league, just like you do every single other player in the league. He's a corner OF and he should be compared with his peers.. other corner OFs. If you want to compare his hitting abilities with pitchers and catchers that's fine with me. It's retarded but you're entitled to do it. I understand your point, and he's been below average for a corner outfielder. But he's also been extremely unlucky thus far this year as ensam showed which is due to catch up.
-
Marlins need to trade Hermida for his own good
personally...i think its useless to defend anyone hitting .220...but whatever...i dont worship at the altar of OPS Congratulations on your ignorance!!!! congrats on resorting to namecalling because i dont subscribe to .OPS monthly...but i like their slogan..."where striking out dont mean a damn thing" Congrats on ignoring every advancement made in baseball analysis in the past 25 years. I'm assuming you think wins and ERA are the best way to judge pitchers too, huh?
-
Marlins need to trade Hermida for his own good
personally...i think its useless to defend anyone hitting .220...but whatever...i dont worship at the altar of OPS Well OPS is a lot more important than AVG but Hermida is also stinking it up in the OPS department. I guess if you compare Hermida's OPS with samples that include pitchers and catchers, like his apologist like to do, then he almost looks okay, but still below average, but those are retarded comparisons. You compare him to the rest of the league, just like you do every single other player in the league.
-
Marlins need to trade Hermida for his own good
personally...i think its useless to defend anyone hitting .220...but whatever...i dont worship at the altar of OPS Congratulations on your ignorance!!!!
-
Marlins need to trade Hermida for his own good
And Hermida is having a better season than Young. Young's got a 4/1 K/BB, Hermida's got a 2/1 K/BB. The avg doesn't mean anything since he doesn't walk all that much, and the Total bases which you cited in your next post are a product of him having more than 2 times as many at bats as Hermida. I think what you mean is the only stats that count are the stats you say count. I'm willing to bet average would mean something if it was the other way around. And in fact Hermida strikes out more frequently than Young. Hermida 45 in 155 at bats, Young 65 in 321 at bats. But you know what, if complain about selective stat use I shouldn't do it either. Let me just say I think your analogy is a hollow one. Obviously you disagree. He strikes out more per at bat, but he also walks more per strikeout. I think that is a more important factor when judging a struggling player's skill level, because it shows that he is seeing the ball and getting on base. Average doesn't mean anything, and even if Hermida had a .300 average it wouldn't mean anything if he walked 15 times in 300 at bats. The thing about Hermida is that he doesn't have to hit .300 to be productive, he can hit .250 and he'll have a .360 OBP and be well above league average. Thats why he's going to be a productive player, and it's also why he'll probably be underappreciated for the enitrety of his Marlins career. Also, it is a testament to Hermida's skill that he is outslugging Young despite batting 50 points lower than him. It shows he's making good contact when he puts bat on ball, and along with an extremely good walk rate he's seeing the ball well. Those two things say to me that he is going to put up much better 2nd half stats than he did in the first half.
-
What kind of car do you have?
I meant to say "sick".
-
Marlins need to trade Hermida for his own good
It's good to know Jeremy Hermida who appears to be headed south of the Mendoza Line any minute now and who has hit .156 in his last ten games is now being compared to David Ortiz. And to BJ Upton who is on the DL. And no, Delmon Young is not having a worse year than JH, not unless you think Hermida's .219/.309/.406 line is better than Young's .285/.335/.445 line. Do you? And if you think the Marlins are prepared to wait five years for Hermida to come into his own you have to see the folly in that line of thinking. For everyone complaining about Amezaga, Olivo and Treanor and how awful they are they're all playing better baseball and putting up better stats than Hermida. He's the blackhole in the lineup not the other guys. That said I still think the kid has potential to be an everyday major leaguer. He could start by taking his defense more seriously which one would think is the easiest area of his game to improve and if he did I for one would be much more forgiving of his offensive woes which I think at this point are more mental than anything. As the topic suggests he may need a new start somewhere else but I'd still like to see what he can after he hits rock-bottom and has a chance in the second half to redeem himself. I'm comparing him to them because they are all big time prospects who struggled their first year or two. And Hermida is having a better season than Young. Young's got a 4/1 K/BB, Hermida's got a 2/1 K/BB. The avg doesn't mean anything since he doesn't walk all that much, and the Total bases which you cited in your next post are a product of him having more than 2 times as many at bats as Hermida. Olivo has a .270 OBP. That is the very definition of a black hole. Hermida's got much more upside than Olivo, Treanor, or Amezaga, and he's had bad luck. That says to me that he's due for a big time 2nd half.
-
Marlins need to trade Hermida for his own good
Unfortunately, neither is everyone Derrek Lee. I think you could use the "everyone's not Hanley/Cabrera" argument last year, but it's starting to lose its effectiveness. Sure most don't excel right away, but neither do most "elite" prospects take more than a year or two to exhibit any traits that would lead yuo to believe they belong in the majors. In other words, he's behind the curve as of right now. Sure Derrek Lee took forever to come around, but for every Derrek Lee there are five Joe Borchards. Actually, if you look at it, most top prospects take the Derrek Lee rout more often than they take the Miguel Cabrera route or even the Joe Borchard route. If a guy is a top prospect and is killing double A at a young age, more often than not he's going to be a good major league player. It just may take a few years to get there. Do you guys think Devil Rays are calling for Delmon Young to be sent down? Hermida's actually having a better year than him. How about BJ Upton? Two years into his career he could have been called a bust. Now he's playing to his potential. David Ortiz didn't start producing until the 5th year of his career. Now he's one of the 5 most dominant offensive forces in the game. What you see isn't what you get when a player is 23. It takes some time.
-
What kind of car do you have?
Damn, dude. Seriously? Thats suck.
-
Old Music Thread
And the track that leads up to Kind Of Blue blends perfectly into it. The album is so good that it is kind of scary. I meant to say, the track that leads into, Blue In Green. Kind of Blue, as you know, is the name of the album. Yeah, Flamenco Sketches (both of them) are incredible and close the whole thing out perfectly. I bought the track, Boplicity, the other day. Completely different (in the same way Bitches Brew is so different from Kind Of Blue). Boplicity turned the jazz world upside down when it came out. I completely dig it but I don't rank it as high as Kind Of Blue. I've been getting into jazz a lot more recently (I even spent a good amount of time in the Jazz tent at Bonnaroo, though I didn't get to see Ravi Coltrane or Ornette Coleman, which I was really disapointed about), so I love discussing it. Kind Of Blue is pretty much the epitomy of Jazz music to me, everything about it is so perfect. The collection of musicians he got together for that album is pretty mind blowing. The piano playing on "Freddie Freeloader" is out of this world. Every track on there is great. You know, 2 years ago even, I wouldn't have been able to appreciate this album as much as I do now. Back then I didn't care much for music without words, and while I still on the whole prefer it, I can fully appreciate jazz now, at least. I figured you meant "Blue In Green". :thumbup
-
Bush Makes a Joke of Court System
A big yawner to this non story. Libby was their fall guy, and everyone knew it the whole time. Someone had to take the blame, but nobody is going to do the time. That much was obvious from the beginning.
-
Game thoughts
OMG WE AREN'T GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS BECAUSEOF THIS GAME!1 I'm not quite sure why posts like these are made... just as this one probably shouldn't be... touche Took the words right out of my mouth. But for some reason this dude is on a scholarship here. I can assure you I'm not being paid to be here. Although I'll consider taking payments to not post.
-
Old Music Thread
"Flamenco Sketches" is beautiful. I'm a big Miles fan, with Kind Of Blue and Bitches Brew being my favorites. Bitches Brew is just a crazy druggy mess, but it's so intense.
-
Game thoughts
The over/under on K's if Peavy pitches against us has to be like 15.
-
Old Music Thread
Kind Of Blue is one of the greatest albums ever made. It makes me feel so many different things all at once. I don't think there's any album ever that has as broad an emotional appeal to me.
-
Movie Review Nomination thread
High Fidelity About A Boy Patton The Sandlot 40 Year Old Virgin
-
1408
You do not disrespect any John Cusack film in my presence. High Fidelity is far and away the best John Cusack movie.
-
Game thoughts
we could be a playoff team but we love playing like sh*t No, we just aren't very good. Thats why we lose games like this.
-
32nd man
So why are they only doing pitchers this season? I think it has something to do with the ammount that have to be on the roster so we don't have another tie All-Star game. Ah, ok. That makes sense, I guess.
-
Uggla? All Star Consideration?
28 year old 2nd basemen who can slug .500 and have a .324 OBP are going to have no problem finding jobs. He may not start here depending on the salary he demands and what Coghlan does, but he'll have a job, I can garauntee that. Also, striking out a lot isn't that big of a negative, it really isn't. I've said it a thousand times, but in the great majority of cases, it is the same thing as any other type of out. He is much more than a poor man's Adam Dunn if only for the fact that he is an average fielder at a premium defensive position who can also slug it out with the best at that position. He's a top 5 2B in all of baseball, all things considered. I wouldn't consider him Top 5 at all. Well, he's definitetly a top 5 offensive 2nd baseman given his 2 years of production, and he played average defense, so he's definitely in the top third, and I'd say even higher than that. All things considered he's a better player than Luis right now. Uggla is not a young guy for being a sophmore in the MLB. By the time 2009 comes, he'll be 29. I know that's not ancient... but it's not young either. And I know some guys find their stroke when they reach that age, but that is a very small percentage and the larger number of professional ball players tend to fade, and are done by 35. He has been declining since last August, in a slow creeping fashion, and I have no reason to believe that decline will turn itself around. I feel confident in saying that by this time next year, we will all feel like there is a major hole at 2nd base that needs to be filled, and by '09 we might have a guy who is close to being ready for that spot. And I know there are always exceptions to the rule (please don't start throwing out Carlos Delgado or Johan Santana references about the draft and how it doesn't determine success), but Dan Uggla was an 11th round pick, who spent 6 years as a minor leaguer... 4 of which were in A ball. We found his production in the Rule 5, and it turned out to be a fantastic pick up for last year as he exceeded everyone's expectations. But the honeymoon will soon be over, and he will turn into the player everyone thought he would be. Then how do you explain the fact that he like leads the NL in XBH and has a .500+ Slugging percentage and is also walking 8.5 percent of the time (up from 5% last year). That's him regressing? He's been better than he was last year. I hate to burst your bubble, but he's actually improved overall. lol check his spilts for the first 3 months ot 2006 http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7692/s...mp;type=Batting and now check 2007....... http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7692/s...mp;type=Batting .875 OPS .833 OPS Not a huge regression, and certainly not one that warrants any armageddon predictions. And look at his overall numbers and he's actually improved.
-
Game thoughts
OMG WE AREN'T GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS BECAUSEOF THIS GAME!1 omg shutup...u always have smartass answers...just in case u didnt know every game means something no matter what anyone says...and yeah beleive it people miss the playoffs by losing one game like this Dude, I was just getting my doomsday on. Isn't that the hip thing you kids do here? Newsflash, for the hundredth time: We are not a play off team.