Everything posted by Bucklin12
-
Wimbledon
I'm sure that's what will happen... although I think Berdych has more than a real shot at Nadal. Nadal can play pretty well and still get beat by Berdych on grass IMO
-
Wimbledon
He will be the 2nd match on Court 1 tomorrow. They are starting early again, so somewhere between 10:00 and 12:00. Tomorrow's lineup is absolutely fantastic... here it is. Centre Court: Match 1: Berdych (7) vs Nadal (2) -- This might be the match of the tournament Match 2: Ferrero (20) vs Federer (1) -- They already started, so they will pick up on server at 5-5 in the 1st set. They've each broken each other once already. This match will be better than advertised. Ferrero is playing so well right now. Match 3: Ivanovic (6) vs V. Williams (23) -- We'll see if Venus can keep it up, Ivanovic is tough. Court 1: Match 1:Baghdatis (10) vs Djokovic (4) -- Another awesome match. Djokovic has more talent, but Baghdatis tougher and playing better. Match 2: Roddick (3) vs. Gasquet (12) -- This might end up being the least entertaining of the men's matches. It depends on Roddick. He has the ability to kill Gasquet and he would still beat him if Gasquet and him are both playing well. But if Roddick isn't on, Gasquet has the ability to kill Roddick. I think it will be one sided, whoevers side that falls on. Let's hope Roddick. Match 3: Henin-Hardenne (1) vs. Bartoli (18) -- Bartoli has impressed me, but Henin will roll. She's too solid. Best Wimbledon Quarter lineup in awhile for the mean. The top 4 seeds, plus some serious contenders challenging like Berdych, Baghdatis, Ferrero, and Gasquet. These guys are as good as anyone (excluding 1 guy of course).
-
Rashard Lewis to the Magic Kingdom
Yeah, he'll definitely get 10... dumb bet for the other side.
-
Rashard Lewis to the Magic Kingdom
Along this topic... Grant Hill just accepted a contract from Phoenix for almost 2 mil a year for 2 years (the second year is on a player option). http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2926650
-
Rashard Lewis to the Magic Kingdom
lol @ people talking down about Orlando's chances. One thing being really overlooked is: Kid is going to be 21 when the season starts and he is coming off a 18 and 12 campaign in his 3rd season. That production is going to go up, especially on the points side. He's going to be the Amare of the East in my view. Couple that with the young talent and depth they already have along with adding a guy like Lewis (in his prime, a lock for 20+ ppg), that is a very very good team. I don't think they are done making moves yet either. Howard, Jameer, Ariza, Lewis -- All 4 of these guys are 27 or under. And if they go after Artest, he will also fit in that club. That's an extremely, EXTREMELY solid core for the next 5 years. Trust me... the Magic will most definitely succeed in a high regard. Fox is right. The Magic will own. You guys are all just Heat fans, and can't stand the sight of it.
-
Rashard Lewis to the Magic Kingdom
The Magic will be the 4 seed in the East next year. 1. Chicago 2. Detroit 3. Cleveland 4. Orlando Hold me to it. I agree Fox. Detroit won't be 2 though. Toronto will be up there too. And for those of you who think the Magic won't finish ahead of the Heat? That's a tad ridiculous.
-
Wimbledon
I agree that it will be on her highlight reel for the rest of her life. So in that way, I could conceed that the match could be considered historic, or at least a 'moment.' I just don't think it's justified on her part. Yeah, Nadal did have an excellent comeback... Youzhny is ridiculously talented, and really should have closed that out, but Nadal battled well, no doubt.. That stuff won't work for him as he moves on, especially against Berdych (this kid is seriously on the rise, I'm so excited for that match). I wish the rain would stop so I could watch Ferrero give Federer a run for his money. Juan Carlos has been playing incredibly tight tennis, and has been putting himself in wonderful position to really extend and attack. But this Hewitt / Djokovic match was an awesome one, so I can watch that again I suppose.
-
Official NBA Offseason Thread
If Orlando gets Artest all I can say is watch the f*** out. That team will be a force, if it isn't already. Artest would be perfect for us talent wise. Of course there is always the cocern that he does something crazy. Besides, I read on another board that he is on record saying no matter where he ends up, he is going to opt out after next season and go to the Knicks. So along those lines, I would love to do this trade: Sactown gets: Hedo, 2009 Orlando lottery protected, 2008 NY top 3 protected first rounder NY gets: Artest Orlando gets: David Lee, Dan Dickau, and Fred Jones If Sacramento REALLY wanted Hedo, I would personally pack his bags, fly him over cross country, and drop him off myself. But I'm pretty sure this rumor is bogus. Or maybe they want Hedo, but not for Artest, ie the writer making that part up. The Knicks are not giving up a lottery pick, David Lee, and an expiring contract for Artest. Even if it is Isiah... I could see this happening, though... Sac gets: Turkoglu, 1st round 08 protected, and take on a bad contract like Garrity NY gets: Artest Orl gets: Jamal Crawford, and some other little sweetner
-
Wimbledon
Serena Williams is my new hero. That girl has got some balls, winning a straight setter with a cramped leg. I'm still in awe, one of the greatest performances you'll ever see on a tennis court. Historic. Absolutely not historic. Both Williams sisters have been doing this for years... I'm sorry you don't have a torn calf with that much pain then serve 123, 20 minutes later. It was ridiculous, not historic. She also played doubles the next day. Torn calf? It was a cramped calf. She couldn't run down shots at the net, and relied on smashing forehands and backhands. Hantuchova must feel like an ass for not locking up that match. Yeah I'm sure that was ridiculous. Serena and her camp (most recognizably, her Dad) proclaimed that she played with a torn calf for the rest of that match. It wasn't until the next day that she quietly admitted it was just cramping. Serena doesn't get to the net well, because she hates being up there... did you see her running the baseline? She was getting from court to court as quick as anyone could. I don't doubt the she had cramping; but it was an extreme overreaction, and does not deserve historic mention. One thing is that she doesn't get to the net well, another is that she hobbled up and around the court, not moving more than 2-3 feet. She served 120 mph from her feet. I have to give it to her, I've never seen someone not be able to run a court, but win a tiebreak set, and then an entire other set. By all means, she should have "easily" lost that match. She lost the tiebreak set. And trust me, she wasn't just serving from her feet. Serena tops out around 125 in a full serve, there's no way she can serve 123 with her arms. I've played semi-professional tennis (futures tour) and you don't serve that hard without extreme use of your legs. I know she was cramped. I don't doubt that. She did well to get out of that match, and I commend her for it. But she most definitely overreacted and that match is not even close to deserving a "historic," title.
-
Wimbledon
Thats called parity, not good depth. You telling me that group stacks up to a stable of Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Carlos Moya, Patrick Rafter, Marcelo Rios, and Marat Safin? You can even add in the lower tier guys like Alex Corretja, Mark Philippoussis, and Karol Kucera. Easily top the top men's players of today without any question. I'm not debating Federer he is on the Sampras/legend level and Nadal is a damn fine player but the rest is mediocre and pretty interchangeable. Tennis was a lot more popular in that era. Those guys got a lot more play, than today's players get. These players are super solid, people have no idea how good guys like Roddick, Djokovic, Davydenko, and Murray really are. I think these guys move up and down the rankings so much, because of their level of play, not because have mediocre ability that doesn't keep them consistent. Everyone is constantly getting better, and sometimes you're ready for it, and sometimes you're not. It's a massive testament to Roger that he can stay on top of all of this improvement.
-
Wimbledon
Roddick has looked good so far and could meet Federer in the semis big could though Yeah, we should just pop in a tape of the '04 and '05 finals and save them both and the audience the trouble. :mischief The only thing compelling about the men's side would be the typical Federer/Nadal matchup. I miss the mid to late 90s depth on the male circuit. Today doesn't even come close. There's a lot of depth... Roger is just that good. Guys like Roddick, Djokovic, Davydenko, Murray, Blake, Gasquet, Baghdatis, Gonzalez, and even the comeback Ferrero are all as good if not better than the core of Men's players that existed in eras before. Any one of these guys can beat anyone (maybe, almost anyone) in the world on a given day. I've never seen anyone play so efficiently, as Roger does. He plays his own game which happens to be extremely well rounded and suited for nearly every one out there.
-
Wimbledon
Serena Williams is my new hero. That girl has got some balls, winning a straight setter with a cramped leg. I'm still in awe, one of the greatest performances you'll ever see on a tennis court. Historic. Absolutely not historic. Both Williams sisters have been doing this for years... I'm sorry you don't have a torn calf with that much pain then serve 123, 20 minutes later. It was ridiculous, not historic. She also played doubles the next day. Torn calf? It was a cramped calf. She couldn't run down shots at the net, and relied on smashing forehands and backhands. Hantuchova must feel like an ass for not locking up that match. Yeah I'm sure that was ridiculous. Serena and her camp (most recognizably, her Dad) proclaimed that she played with a torn calf for the rest of that match. It wasn't until the next day that she quietly admitted it was just cramping. Serena doesn't get to the net well, because she hates being up there... did you see her running the baseline? She was getting from court to court as quick as anyone could. I don't doubt the she had cramping; but it was an extreme overreaction, and does not deserve historic mention.
-
Wimbledon
Venus just took out Maria Sherapova in straight sets Hell of a match by Venus. That was a picture of perfect aggressive tennis, and what it can do to your opponet.
-
Wimbledon
Serena Williams is my new hero. That girl has got some balls, winning a straight setter with a cramped leg. I'm still in awe, one of the greatest performances you'll ever see on a tennis court. Historic. Absolutely not historic. Both Williams sisters have been doing this for years... I'm sorry you don't have a torn calf with that much pain then serve 123, 20 minutes later. It was ridiculous, not historic. She also played doubles the next day.
-
Rashard Lewis to the Magic Kingdom
The Magic were one of the best defenses in the league last year. Ariza is a very pesky defender, and Turk is highly underrated for his defense, plus Dwight and Darko are extremely intimidating inside. I expect the Magic to try and unload Arroyo, Garrity, and Hurkoglu then get some guard support and hope to have enough to resign Darko (I'm sure he'll go somewhere else though... someone's going to offer him a lot) I would love to see a depth like this... 1 - Jameer Nelson, Travis Diener 2 - J.J. Redick/Keyon Dooling, Keith Bogans 3 - Rashard Lewis, Trevor Ariza 4 - Darko Milicic, James Augustine, Bo Outlaw 5 - Dwight Howard, Tony Battie I might even run Jameer, Trevor, Rashard, Darko, and Dwight out there at the same time as well. Yeah, that's 3 guys who can slash and finish extremely well along with an insane interior presence.
-
Uggla? All Star Consideration?
Uggla is not a young guy for being a sophmore in the MLB. By the time 2009 comes, he'll be 29. I know that's not ancient... but it's not young either. And I know some guys find their stroke when they reach that age, but that is a very small percentage and the larger number of professional ball players tend to fade, and are done by 35. He has been declining since last August, in a slow creeping fashion, and I have no reason to believe that decline will turn itself around. I feel confident in saying that by this time next year, we will all feel like there is a major hole at 2nd base that needs to be filled, and by '09 we might have a guy who is close to being ready for that spot. And I know there are always exceptions to the rule (please don't start throwing out Carlos Delgado or Johan Santana references about the draft and how it doesn't determine success), but Dan Uggla was an 11th round pick, who spent 6 years as a minor leaguer... 4 of which were in A ball. We found his production in the Rule 5, and it turned out to be a fantastic pick up for last year as he exceeded everyone's expectations. But the honeymoon will soon be over, and he will turn into the player everyone thought he would be. 29 would be considered his prime Last August, the highest his numbers were at any time were .296/.354/.507 right now, he is struggling at .253/.324/.509 his walk rate is a little better than last year, and his slugging percentage has maintained he is one solid weak from getting that average up to .275 again, I like Coghlan as much as the next guy, but he is in Greensboro... it's like Coors Field of old up there Works two ways... he's another wretched weak away from .235
-
Uggla? All Star Consideration?
28 year old 2nd basemen who can slug .500 and have a .324 OBP are going to have no problem finding jobs. He may not start here depending on the salary he demands and what Coghlan does, but he'll have a job, I can garauntee that. Also, striking out a lot isn't that big of a negative, it really isn't. I've said it a thousand times, but in the great majority of cases, it is the same thing as any other type of out. He is much more than a poor man's Adam Dunn if only for the fact that he is an average fielder at a premium defensive position who can also slug it out with the best at that position. He's a top 5 2B in all of baseball, all things considered. I wouldn't consider him Top 5 at all.
-
Uggla? All Star Consideration?
Uggla is not a young guy for being a sophmore in the MLB. By the time 2009 comes, he'll be 29. I know that's not ancient... but it's not young either. And I know some guys find their stroke when they reach that age, but that is a very small percentage and the larger number of professional ball players tend to fade, and are done by 35. He has been declining since last August, in a slow creeping fashion, and I have no reason to believe that decline will turn itself around. I feel confident in saying that by this time next year, we will all feel like there is a major hole at 2nd base that needs to be filled, and by '09 we might have a guy who is close to being ready for that spot. And I know there are always exceptions to the rule (please don't start throwing out Carlos Delgado or Johan Santana references about the draft and how it doesn't determine success), but Dan Uggla was an 11th round pick, who spent 6 years as a minor leaguer... 4 of which were in A ball. We found his production in the Rule 5, and it turned out to be a fantastic pick up for last year as he exceeded everyone's expectations. But the honeymoon will soon be over, and he will turn into the player everyone thought he would be.
-
Uggla? All Star Consideration?
And I am not at all a Miguel Olivo fan, but with all the whining we submit about Olivo his BA is now better than Uggla's. If anyone's wondering why I absolutely despise batting average as a way of telling how good a player is, here's a prime example. Dan Uggla is still well above league average in OPS and he's well, well above league average for a 2B. I believe he leads the league or is 2nd in extra base hits. He's a really good baseball player. Miguel Olivo is not very good. If you are really stupid enough to believe Olivo is better than Uggla then I can post a much more detailed analysis of just why one is quite good and the other is quite bad. I hope you don't need it though. In no way, do I consider Miguel Olivo a better ball player than Dan Uggla. I never said that. I understand the BA stat has flaws (just like nearly every other stat in baseball... especially OPS). The kid can slug there is no doubt about it, he is full of doubles and is good for 25 homers, so yes he has a decent OPS. He also is second in baseball in SO's... and that is why OPS is flawed and can be just as misleading as BA. Dan Uggla is a poor man's Adam Dunn at best, who is disguised by the infield. He won't be starting by the end of '09 at the latest... there's no way.
-
Uggla? All Star Consideration?
Seriously, I don't know why so many people thought he deserved All Star recognition this year... even if he plays at a weak position in the NL. He was a Rule V dude who found some power and had a fantastic half a season last year. And I am not at all a Miguel Olivo fan, but with all the whining we submit about Olivo his BA is now better than Uggla's. C'mon Coghlan, hurry up and get through Greensboro!
-
ESPN's Phil Rogers frosts Hanley
Defense is absolutely insignificant compared to the grandeur of baseball offense in today's game. You can be in the bottom 6 of starting shortshops, if you're in the top half offensively, it makes no difference to any FO. There's a reason Alfonso Soriano's playing left-field...think about it. Yes, there is definitely a reason... he's not good defensively, couldn't even hack CF at Wrigley. If you can find a way to keep him in the lineup, then of course you move him around... but Alfonso will NEVER be moved out of a lineup for his defense, and neither will Hanley. There's a reason Robert Andino's playing in Albuquerque... think about it.
-
ESPN's Phil Rogers frosts Hanley
Defense is absolutely insignificant compared to the grandeur of baseball offense in today's game. You can be in the bottom 6 of starting shortshops, if you're in the top half offensively, it makes no difference to any FO.
-
Too bad the Marlins didn't have any money
I would love to have Penny and Beckett back this year. Beckett seems to have adjusted to the AL, after a 2006 season where he gave up a league-leading number of HRs. Two former Marlins might very well be starting in the All-Star Game against each other (Penny in the NL, Beckett in the AL). I don't miss Encarnacion, Gonzalez, or Braden Looper. It would be nice to still have D-Lee, Pudge, or Castillo (although Luis would have to compete with Dan the Man for that job). Despite our current need for a centerfielder, Juan Pierre can keep his huge salary, thanks. Forget Uggla... Coghlan for President.
-
Update: J. Jones deal apparently off
The Cubs fans also despised Mitre...
-
Update: J. Jones deal apparently off
Jacque has always been quality... his OPS has never been lower than 742 in 8 seasons. And he played injured that year. His first year in the NL was last year and he finished at 833 with his OPS. He's been played sparingly, and without confidence this year. He is a big upgrade over Amezaga, Ross, Borch, Caroll, or whoever we have to put out there. This is a great deal, especially if it just cost us a Greensboro arm. Even if it is Graham Taylor (he would've been blown up in Jupiter anyways, the kid tops out at like 87)