Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

flasportsfan88

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by flasportsfan88

  1. Maybe his awesome K/BB ratio. But he gives up a lot of flyballs, and he can get knocked around sometimes. Even before tonight, I would have ranked him as the 7th RP out of 7. His flyball rate really hasn't been that bad since he left Cleveland. In fact, his FB rate is better than a couple of players on the team, including Brian Sanches. He also has a great strikeout ability to compensate for that. In San Diego, he didn't really walk that many guys, either. I think he had the best track record going into this season out of any of the Marlins relievers. Sanches may be giving up more FB's, but look at the HR/FB from Mujica, way to high. It's likely the reason his ERA is that high with those peripherals. Looks like we could be getting something more like the 09' season from Mujica, which isn't terrible but probably the last option in the pen.
  2. By the end of the season I think the Maybin boys are going to be the last options out of the pen.
  3. nevermind i got it
  4. What's the baseball website where it lists teams payrolls and individuals payrolls in a grid, from year to year. It shows you when they are arbitration eligible or how much they earn that year.
  5. I'm not a hitting coach either nor do I much care for these opinions, but I would say it's a combination of all three things. 1. He stands too far out from the plate this year; it seems nearly impossible for him to reach outside pitches, and he's probably been fooled on the occasional inside pitch because he's thinking about protecting the outside corner. 2. The timing on his leg kick. 3. Longer swing. You don't care for the opinions but you list all three opinions made about the swing, lol. I'm not sure that came out right.
  6. I know I'm not a hitting coach but to me it just seams to be fluidity in his leg kick. That's his main timing mechanism, once he smooths that ouch he should be fine. I think it's a little more complicated than simply how far hes standing from the plate.
  7. Anybody remember the piece in Moneyball about the closer??
  8. Leo Nunez isn't amazing, but he's getting the job done. The point of bumping a thread about trading a player when that player has been pretty good this year is dumb. It was bumped by someone trying to prove that he shouldn't have been traded. Actually, I believe mystikol was agreeing with me when he bumped it. Oh, I looked at it in a different way, I figured he was pointing out the imprtance of the back end of the bullpen.
  9. Leo Nunez isn't amazing, but he's getting the job done. The point of bumping a thread about trading a player when that player has been pretty good this year is dumb. It was bumped by someone trying to prove that he shouldn't have been traded.
  10. Let's not forget about Ceda who's doing well closing for AAA and Marinez, one of the better relief prospects in years down in the AA. With the hopper, that's three guys in the minors who in past years would likely be up with the Marlins. We have the most bullpen depth we've had in a long time. The biggest problem with trading Nunez is that the demand for him isn't there given his salary, as I'm sure has been stated already in this thread. At this point I'm content with the situation right now because I'm intrigued to see what Nunez can do with the added slider. I among many have said many times he would benefit from an improved slider, or a pitch moving in the opposite direction of his fastball/change up. I love track records when analyzing players but one thing numbers won't tell you is if a guy developed a new pitch or approach, IE Sanches (splitter). Yup. Regarding his slider, it's nice that he has a new pitch, but it's not necessarily a good pitch. As a matter of fact, he's thrown a slider before back when he was with KC and was much worse, as a pitcher. He's still at his best, as a fastball-changeup guy. When he's locating his changeup, he's capable of dominating; when his changeup isn't located and stays up in the zone, he gets in trouble. It's really as simple as that with him. If I believe when he first got here he featured a slider but it was suspect. Rather than a new pitch I should say improved pitch. He obviously worked on the slider in the off season and it seams to have much more bite and downward motion than in the past. You're very right about his location. If he's keeping the ball down he's usually effective, but every now and then you'll see a good hitter sit on the change up, and even if its low in the zone can get hit hard. Rowand is one I can think of offhand. I think one more pitch would keep the hitters a little more off balance and keep them from sitting on the chaneup. You see a lot of guys with two pitches but more times than not its fastball slider, two pitches that move in opposite directions. He'd be able to get more hitters looking on a two seam outside corner with a pitch that moves away from the plate from right to left. He might also be able to jam more batter because it's not a 100% guarantee if the ball starts over the middle of the plate it's going to end up inside off the plate. you are right if he keeps the ball down he could be an effective pitcher. But I still believe with a slider he could be elite. Bold: edit
  11. Let's not forget about Ceda who's doing well closing for AAA and Marinez, one of the better relief prospects in years down in the AA. With the hopper, that's three guys in the minors who in past years would likely be up with the Marlins. We have the most bullpen depth we've had in a long time. The biggest problem with trading Nunez is that the demand for him isn't there given his salary, as I'm sure has been stated already in this thread. At this point I'm content with the situation right now because I'm intrigued to see what Nunez can do with the added slider. I among many have said many times he would benefit from an improved slider, or a pitch moving in the opposite direction of his fastball/change up. I love track records when analyzing players but one thing numbers won't tell you is if a guy developed a new pitch or approach, IE Sanches (splitter).
  12. I'm not the only one who thinks Jags and JClark are the same person, right? Yep. because signing up in '05 and having a grand total of 300 posts is a strong indicator that I have a desperate need for attention and affection on these boards, so much so that I need to create an alt account (Several months ago in fact) and fake it, all for this one situation. the illuminati could use a guy like you...expect a pm shortly Must be how you got those leaked stadium plans...
  13. The MLB postseason is too much of a crapshoot to have 10 teams in the playoffs. Any team who is hot or has a solid 1-3 in the rotation can in it. There's too many instances where the best team in 162 games doesn't win a 5 game series. You can argue baseball isn't the right sport for a playoff at all. This is sort of my position. It's a game that is meant to be played everyday, so it's silly to base the outcome of the season on what happens in a short series. However, I do admit that having just a 162 game season and naming a champion based on that alone is anti-climatic. Playoffs are fine as long as the number of teams making them is kept low and the series are long. I think 4 playoff teams was perfect. However with the league expansions in 1993 and 1998, having 8 playoff teams is something I can tolerate. However, I would not go beyond 8 teams and would actually lengthen the division series to 7 games. I really don't see any justification in expanding the size to ten teams. It just doesn't make sense if you think about how baseball is played.
  14. The MLB postseason is too much of a crapshoot to have 10 teams in the playoffs. Any team who is hot or has a solid 1-3 in the rotation can in it. There's too many instances where the best team in 162 games doesn't win a 5 game series. You can argue baseball isn't the right sport for a playoff at all.
  15. Anyone know of any good mlb forums. Just all of baseball in general.
  16. is hanley done :whistle
  17. It's a shame Sanches gets to pitch in the less meaningful innings, he's our best reliever right now. More than likely because he's pitching in those situations. It's not like the guy hasn't been one of our better relievers the last few seasons pitching in relatively important situations. What has Webb and Mujica done to this point in their careers to be awarded those situations ahead of Sanches? Mujica had the best K/BB rate among relievers in baseball last year. Webb is a young arm with good stuff who should be here for the long-term future, getting groundballs over 60% of the time. I've learned to like Sanches because he gets outs, but there's nothing special about him, really. He's also been better in low leverage situations the past couple of years, which was my point. Anyway, he's been really nice, but Sanches and Mujica will probably not be here after the year, anyway. As a matter of fact, one of those guys is probably not even on the team were it not for the fact that they're out of options, while Badenhop still has options. Guys like Webb and Dunn are more important long-term for this organization, and it's nice to see they're being used in rather significant roles, and doing okay. Mujica did give up trice as many home runs as Sanches. Word is Mujica's splitter likes to hang on occasion and gets blasted. Mujica's career OPS against in late and close situations: .958 to Sanches's .827. Mujica also can go deep into games and come out of long relief, he pitched 93 innings in 09. He's getting the later situations compared to Sanches because he's the new guy. Webb does have stuff and throw pretty hard, but his minor league numbers aren't very encouraging. Besides 20 innings in AAA he's pretty much struggled. I know Sanches himself did well later in his career after he developed a splitter so anything can happen with Webb, but I don't know how Webb's minor league numbers at this point translate into a long time major leaguer unless something changes. There is "nothing special about Sanches" but all he seems to do is get outs for us.
  18. It's a shame Sanches gets to pitch in the less meaningful innings, he's our best reliever right now. More than likely because he's pitching in those situations. It's not like the guy hasn't been one of our better relievers the last few seasons pitching in relatively important situations. What has Webb and Mujica done to this point in their careers to be awarded those situations ahead of Sanches?
  19. It's a shame Sanches gets to pitch in the less meaningful innings, he's our best reliever right now.
  20. Most of the guys putting up the internet tough guy pictures are the same guys who would probably start laughing if their best friends starting hobbling around like a little bitch after getting a bad bruise. This is so stupid and presumptuous. Who, on this board, do you know even a little bit about in real life? Lol. This is so stupid. Sorry, saint Bob. Guess I've been around different human beings before. And I've never met someone who can't put any weight on their leg after a severe bruise. I never really denied the fact that it hurts like hell; it also doesn't hurt as much as something that is broken, which more resembles the act that he put on last night. You're the one making a number of absolutely baseless assumptions based on absolutely nothing, don't get upset when someone calls you on it. Everyone gets hurt in different ways, and everyone deals with injuries in different ways. It doesn't mean he was being over dramatic. It means you have no f***ing clue how he felt. By the way: Ramirez said he was scared right after the collision happened. He thought immediately about Twins second baseman Tsuyoshi Nishioka, who suffered a fractured fibula Thursday night when Nick Swisher slid hard into him. “He got me pretty good,’’ Ramirez said of Hall. Ramirez’s injury was confined to the outside of his lower left leg, right above the ankle. “(Trainers) said there’s a nerve going throw that side and I think he hit that nerve,’’ he said. “It kind of fell asleep right away so I didnt feel anything. Then there was a lot of pain.’’ Ramirez said he won’t need X-rays. “There’s still a little bit of pain, a little bit of swelling,’’ he said. “I can put a little bit of weight on it. I don’t think it’s anything bad. Just a little sore…It’s more stuff and tight since last night.’’ If you watch it again, he doesn't really react at first, then he tries to stand up and put weight on it, and that's when the pain hits him. In that moment, his reaction seems completely reasonable. Judging how someone else responds to an injury doesn't make you look nearly as tough as you think it does. Guys can destroy ligaments and walk off the field fine, other guys can end up with just a bruise and have it feel like the leg broke. No injury is the same, and nobody has the same tolerance for pain. There is no universally acceptable response to a given injury, no matter how you want to paint it.
  21. It was working for a minute now Its saying Game 2 is currently unavailable. Awesome.
  22. Anyone just lose the extra innings feed.?
  23. Pence destroys Nolasco Ya I was at the game where he had like 7 RBIs and two home runs or something. Really upsetting

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.