What is Hanley's problem at the plate?

Me, as a ball player in most of my youth, I personally feel he's trying to do to much at the plate. His stance just looks very uncomfortable and the mechanics of it just don't seem right with his body type.

My own opinion. Of cores I could be completely wrong.

I'm interested in what you think about this.

I haven't gotten to watch as many games as I would have liked so far this year, so I can't answer this poll honestly, but I played from the time I could walk all the way through college. Now I am a hitting instructor. There are so many things that can cause a player to not perform up to potential at the plate. The thing that I usually find is the issue is lack of focus, and trying to do too much (which puts you into a downward spiral). You also have to have the dedication to fix a problem too, because a slump doesn't just fix itself over night. You can have a bad at bat and be fine, but a slump is muscle memory with incorrect form. Diagnosing the problem is first, followed by taking the time to create the proper muscle memory...sometimes days, or even a week depending on the severity and the time spent trying to fix it. Also, sometimes we can get an idea from watching the game, what the problem is, but in all honesty, to get a true diagnosis of the problem, you'd have to watch him in the cage so you could track tendencies, and contact based on location of the pitch.

I dunno but I play MLB 10 the show and every year in my franchise Hanley regresses and basically becomes average within five years sooo who knows. Go with the stance... Sounds safe

Bonifacio is also still a starter in 2020 on that game (I play pitcher, so the seasons go by faster).

I'm not a hitting coach either nor do I much care for these opinions, but I would say it's a combination of all three things.

1. He stands too far out from the plate this year; it seems nearly impossible for him to reach outside pitches, and he's probably been fooled on the occasional inside pitch because he's thinking about protecting the outside corner.

2. The timing on his leg kick.

3. Longer swing.

I'm not a hitting coach either nor do I much care for these opinions, but I would say it's a combination of all three things.

1. He stands too far out from the plate this year; it seems nearly impossible for him to reach outside pitches, and he's probably been fooled on the occasional inside pitch because he's thinking about protecting the outside corner.

3. Longer swing.

You don't care for the opinions but you list all three opinions made about the swing, lol. I'm not sure that came out right.

I know I'm not a hitting coach but to me it just seams to be fluidity in his leg kick. That's his main timing mechanism, once he smooths that ouch he should be fine. I think it's a little more complicated than simply how far hes standing from the plate.

This is probably the case. The little bit I've seen of him this year, it's the most logical explanation. If everything else is working right, where you stand is the box is pretty irrelevant. Timing is very tricky, and can obviously jack up everything. I have never been a fan of a leg kick. I prefer a small step to keep the body balanced. The littler the motion, the less there is to go wrong.

I think he's hitting the ball on the ground way too much.

Whatever gets him to stop doing that is what he should do.

I think that is a lot of it. His GB rate is at 60% which is ten points higher than last year and 15 points higher than when he was really good.

3. Longer swing.

You don't care for the opinions but you list all three opinions made about the swing, lol. I'm not sure that came out right.

Well, the thing is I don't even care about my own opinion on the subject because I'm probably wrong, lol.

You should be smacked for option 3.

Other than that, nothing there really fits it. He's probably trying TOO hard. And letting it go way too far to his head, thinking about it too much.

Which means he's pressuring himself to do better and it's probably making him do worse.

Hahaha hey anything is possible but i'll take that slap