The Marlins are in Deep Trouble

Fish Fillet

Usually I take the attitude that slumps, bad streaks, etc... shouldn't really be that alarming this early in the year, but after a little thought I've come to the conclusion this team has some serious issues that aren't going away.

First off, the overall record. Yeah, I know they are in 1st and all that. But consider that they started the season on a tear by beating up what has turned out to be a terrible Montreal team, and then stealing some games from a Philly squad that everybody knew was miserably underperforming at the time. Other than those series this team has pretty much performed just below .500 consistently, and the problems that have plagued them have been present for the whole season thus far.

Consider the issues:

1) Starters that are incosistent, at best

2) Injuries

3) No bullpen outside of Benitez, who originally looked to be one of the bigger

question marks at the beginning of the season anyway

4) No offense whatsoever. The team ranks 2nd to last in the league in runs scored.

Because there are so many serious issues, I am finding it hard to beleive that securing one solid bullpen arm or a proven bat, as suggested hundreds of times, is going to right the ship. To me the possibility of trading or signing someone is a band-aid over a bullet wound, and that's while ignoring money/payroll issues which are a factor as well.

I'm pretty doubtful that AJ's return will be the answer, as well. I doubt he is going to return from TJ surgery on a white horse, dealing shutouts here and there and coming back to heal all the ills of the Marlins. Obviously, there is no guarantee that he'll even be good, much less great. Besides, last time I checked AJ wasn't an all-star at the plate, nor could he serve both as a starter and a releiver at the same time.

Before you flame me out, consider that all I'm trying to say is that the indicators are there. If the team misses the playoffs this fall I don't think anyone will be sitting around scratching their heads and wondering why.

I agree the team does not look like a playoff team at this point, but I'm confident things can turn around. When Luis starts hitting like we all know he can, that is when we'll start winning games. It's not time to throw the towel in yet. At this point last year, this team was much worse than it is now.

I have been telling my friend for the past week. This team is struggling to much lately and has many weak points, not just that but even our stronger points are incosistant. For us to have a shot at repeating, we need to wake the F*** up now. Honestly, the last few games have been terrible to watch.

All of my Phillies fan friends are smelling blood..They are telling me that the Phillies will regain the division for good by next week...

Tonight's game was sh*t...No pitching, no offense...Only when the starting pitching is strong do the Fish win games, the Marlins offense is lucky to get 3 runs a game anymore...what the f*** is going on? They are not playing like the defending world champs. Are they pressing because of the repeat pressure or are they underachieving? Castro and Gonzalez' averages are an abomination...You don't hit this badly at this point in the season...neither one has had some sort of hotstreak to salvage their seasons..Its a shame Redmond cant start every game like he did tonight...Gonzalez better start hitting the ball for average because he isn't gonna last a few more years in this league getting by on his defense...His 2 for 3 or whatever he did tonight wont mean sh*t if he goes on an 0 for 16 streak rightafter...They are not hungry, they started out strong with great pitching and hitting and power...The Marlins have 3 players near the top of the home run leaders but there hasn't been much longball lately for this team...They have no patience at the plate they swing at first pitches in rbi situations, they swing on 2 and 0 instead of taking a pitch or waiting for a better one to hit...There is plenty of season left but they need to start putting it all together as a team NOW

yea, right now this team is strugglin to keep it's head above water....

but I think a bat and an arm make a world a difference, but thats just me

We need another bat, there's no question about that. I really don't want Kendall because I think we'd have to give up too much, but we'll see. There aren't really any other catchers worth a damn that are going to be out there. If Choi doesn't get it going, we could add a LF and move Niner to 1B, or just add a 1B. We will do something.

AJ returning should be a spark, I don't really expect him to go straight into his old form, it'd be nice if he did, but just having him back should help. We need one more bullpen arm. I think Ben Howard is going to get a look still and (hate if you want) I still expect Neu to do something this year.

Still, this team needs tinkered with, it doesn't need overhauled. We're not going anywhere. The boys up top will make the moves that need to be made. This isn't all doom and gloom.

Basically, we just have to keep pace with the Phils until mid June when teams determine whether they're buying or selling, because we're definitely going to do something. We're not going anywhere.

its mid-May people!!!!!!

name one team that is perfect and has no question marks

name one team that has not had bouts of slumping hitting or inconsistant pitching

name one top team that already has their identity for the season already set in stone and is firing on all cylanders

c'mon people, this team just came off a .500 road trip against two of the BEST teams in the National League

WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE EXPECTING??????

sorry the team cant play at a .800 winning percentage all season long

Disagree all around.

1. Starters have been very consistent. Pavano and Penny especially. Beckett has had one bad outing. Oliver is consistently bad, well decent for his standards these past two starts. Willis, well he is what he is. He's a gimmick pitcher whose lack of command early in games has seen him hit hard again and again by teams that have seen his delivery and two pitches once or twice.

2. What injuries? Chad Fox? Routine day-to-day stuff with Luiy and Conine?

3. Did we have a bullpen last year when we won it all? Well, sort of after July when Urbina and Fox were added as well as Helling much later. And how did that bullpen fare in the playoffs when all five starters made appearances in relief? I don't get the frustrations with the bullpen. We have some decent arms out there, with much better talent than that cast we had prior to Urbina and Fox's arrival last year. If used properly and well rested between appearances they can be an asset to the club.

4. The talent is there. They just aren't performing. Conine, Castro/Redmond, Luiy and Alex haven't been hitting for substantial parts of the year. Choi and Cabs too, although they've atleast been getting on base. Our bench has much better depth than we had last year. There is no trade you could realistically make to improve the lineup's fortunes (who has trade value? who can be sent down to make space on the roster? and the 40-man roster? what prospects do we trade in July for additional help?). A good kick in the bum might help. Calling up Valdez or Willingham to pressure Castro/Redmond and Alex might help. Giving Nunez some time might pressure Conine. Or it might now, look at what Cordero has done for the club and how Choi has reacted. Maybe we should try a decent lineup playing to our strengths and weaknesses instead of rewarding and punishing players. How are Alex and Choi going to hit better if they see nothing but junkballs?

I am not too worried either. A few observations, though.

As much as I hate to say it,,,,,D-Train is an ordinary pitcher with only ordinary stuff. His fastball is low 90's at best without much movement, and his curve ball is pratically non-existent. If Willis is going to save his career, he needs to add a pitch....preferably a change up or a split finger....but he has got to start getting movement on his pitches.

I will probably get shot for this,,,,but when AJ comes back, I would prefer to see Willis go to the bullpen instead of Oliver. Although Oliver is no great shakes either, he is a veteran who has more savvy than Willis.

The bats will come around I think. Again, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Nunez to see what he can do.

It's funny how people panic so early. Last year at this point they were what? 10 games under .500? No doubt they are in a slump right now, but better to get this out of the way early. The lineup isn't clicking right now, but they will turn it around. Some of what is happening is just bad luck, Lowell missing a grand slam to tie the game on saturday by a foot. Castillo hitting a line drive right at the shortstop last night that a few fett in either dirction would have scored 2 runs. Those things will even out. Conine and Castillo are guys with proven track records. The major concern for me is the bottom of the line up. Gonzalez and the catcher spot have to start to produce something. Castro is a better hitter than what he has shown so far.

On the bright side, Choi looks to be coming out of his slump and getting AJ Burnett back in early June may provide the same type of jolt Dontrelle brought last year.

Usually I take the attitude that slumps, bad streaks, etc... shouldn't really be that alarming this early in the year, but after a little thought I've come to the conclusion this team has some serious issues that aren't going away.

First off, the overall record. Yeah, I know they are in 1st and all that. But consider that they started the season on a tear by beating up what has turned out to be a terrible Montreal team, and then stealing some games from a Philly squad that everybody knew was miserably underperforming at the time. Other than those series this team has pretty much performed just below .500 consistently, and the problems that have plagued them have been present for the whole season thus far.

Consider the issues:

1) Starters that are incosistent, at best

2) Injuries

3) No bullpen outside of Benitez, who originally looked to be one of the bigger

question marks at the beginning of the season anyway

4) No offense whatsoever. The team ranks 2nd to last in the league in runs scored.

Because there are so many serious issues, I am finding it hard to beleive that securing one solid bullpen arm or a proven bat, as suggested hundreds of times, is going to right the ship. To me the possibility of trading or signing someone is a band-aid over a bullet wound, and that's while ignoring money/payroll issues which are a factor as well.

I'm pretty doubtful that AJ's return will be the answer, as well. I doubt he is going to return from TJ surgery on a white horse, dealing shutouts here and there and coming back to heal all the ills of the Marlins. Obviously, there is no guarantee that he'll even be good, much less great. Besides, last time I checked AJ wasn't an all-star at the plate, nor could he serve both as a starter and a releiver at the same time.

Before you flame me out, consider that all I'm trying to say is that the indicators are there. If the team misses the playoffs this fall I don't think anyone will be sitting around scratching their heads and wondering why.

Well, everything I've said about this team being very average now and Choi NOT being the answer against lefty pitching has proven out 100% accurate. But for the insights I repeatedly make on this board, I get banned for saying Cordero is a better answer vs. lefties than Choi. And for saying Redman wasn't worth 3.9 mil and that Burnett would be back in early June not July. I hope the moderators here pay a little closer to the content and the credibity of the posters. Sometimes reality is tough to take. If this team doesn't make a trade for a hitter soon, the season is over.

I, for one, am finally calling it quits on following the Marlins with anything more than a passing interest. After three long years of false hope (which is worse than the no hope years of 98 and 99) I have to end it and stop buying into the lie like a lemming, you should too. :unsure :

Link: Everything has always been wrong!

You were singing this same song last year.

Listen:

1. Yes, there were moves the Marlins should have made in the off-season;

2. No, they did not make them because they needed to focus on the stadium and the long-term health of the organization;

3. Yes, the Marlins will make mid-season moves to stregthen the club;

4. Yes, it is too early to make these moves;

5. Yes, the Marlins will be in the hunt for the Division title when these moves are made;

6. No, it is not realistic to expect the Fish to win the Series again this year (it is not realistic for any team to expect this);

7. Yes, this is still a great team to follow and we are luckier than 80% of the fans of other clubs.

Taken as a whole, this does not sound like the voice of Cassandra -- more like that of Chicken Little.

I, for one, am finally calling it quits on following the Marlins with anything more than a passing interest. After three long years of false hope (which is worse than the no hope years of 98 and 99) I have to end it and stop buying into the lie like a lemming, you should too. :unsure :

Link: Everything has always been wrong!

You were singing this same song last year.

Listen:

1. Yes, there were moves the Marlins should have made in the off-season;

2. No, they did not make them because they needed to focus on the stadium and the long-term health of the organization;

3. Yes, the Marlins will make mid-season moves to stregthen the club;

4. Yes, it is too early to make these moves;

5. Yes, the Marlins will be in the hunt for the Division title when these moves are made;

6. No, it is not realistic to expect the Fish to win the Series again this year (it is not realistic for any team to expect this);

7. Yes, this is still a great team to follow and we are luckier than 80% of the fans of other clubs.

Taken as a whole, this does not sound like the voice of Cassandra -- more like that of Chicken Little. they aren't a great team. they are an average team. They have great pitching and a few great players. They are headed for a below .500 finish. Don't bank on a significant trade because they don't have the money.

Look, last season's team was so ridiculously special, if you haven't realized that, it's time to accept that just about any team is going to struggle when compared to the way they played.

The thing that's going to get this team going is the return of AJ. He doesn't have to pitch a no-hitter, or even have an ERA below 4, but just having him back is going to get the guys excited; like Dontrelle last year. They just need a spark, and they'll turn things around.

I love that Quote above from Fillet.... You know it's probably better if you just abandon the team, don't be a fan anymore. Go follow another team and harass their fans when they are struggling. As for me I am just tired of all the doom and gloom on this forum. I mean I am not denying the team is looking bad right now. But all I can do as a fan is stick behind them and hope they pull through. Sure I am upset at the way some players are underperforming. But I also beleive they will snap out of it and if they don't and this season goes down the drain. We'll get em next year. That's what being a fan is. I don't care what you all say in response to my comments, call me a homer, call me what you want. The fact is I love baseball I love my team and I will support them through bad times and good. As bad as they are playing right now they are not only NOT OUT OF IT but they still lead the NL East (however slim). Baseball is a forgiving game, just look at last season, how much did our horrible start last year really matter in the end?

As for me I am just tired of all the doom and gloom on this forum. I mean I am not denying the team is looking bad right now. But all I can do as a fan is stick behind them and hope they pull through. Sure I am upset at the way some players are underperforming. But I also beleive they will snap out of it and if they don't and this season goes down the drain. We'll get em next year. That's what being a fan is.

DITTO!

Some of you talk as though you have been following the Fish (and baseball) since last September. If you think that what the Fish did in Sep. and Oct. is in any way representative of what baseball is (especially of what May baseball is), then you just prove that what everyone says about Fish fans is true.