Byung Hyun Kim

Stag5

KIM ON THE RADAR

According to an industry source, the Marlins would be interested in acquiring Byung-Hyun Kim from the Red Sox to fortify the bridge between their starters and closer Armando Benitez.

Among the potential sticking points to any deal is how much of Kim's two-year, $10 million deal the Red Sox are prepared to swallow. Demoted to Triple-A Pawtucket earlier this month, Kim is owed $4 million this season and $6 million in 2005.

Sidelined with a right shoulder strain the season's first 19 days, Kim flopped in the Red Sox rotation, going 1-1 with a 6.17 ERA in three starts. He spent his first four seasons in the Diamondbacks' bullpen and saved 36 games as recently as 2002, when he logged a 2.04 ERA.

Reports are Kim has been pitching better since returning to the minors for the first time since 2000. Over four starts at Pawtucket, he is 0-0 with a 2.61 ERA.

Kim would also give the Marlins another option in the rotation in the event A.J. Burnett doesn't make it through the season once he returns. After another rough start Friday, Darren Oliver appears to be the odd man out.

Because of the collective bargaining agreement, which precludes teams from trading free agent signees before June 1, the Marlins would not be able to deal Oliver until next month if they find a taker.

The Marlins could still consummate a transaction this month using a player-to-be-named designation.

I thought I had read that Boston turned down a deal from the Dodgers to swap Encarnacion and Kim straight up. Why they turned down that deal I don't know. Neither do I know why they'd want Oliver.

Did Beinfest tell them that the Yankees made an offer? :p

I thought I had read that Boston turned down a deal from the Dodgers to swap Encarnacion and Kim straight up. Why they turned down that deal I don't know. Neither do I know why they'd want Oliver.

Did Beinfest tell them that the Yankees made an offer? :p

Which Red Sox outfielder are you going to sit to play Encarnacion?

It is possible when AJ is back and performing you could see pavano dealt for trot nixon, BK and $$$. Conine could get put in that deal in order to lessen the salery hit the Fish would take.

Pavano is an outright free agent and I think Beinfest will try and get something for him. I am not suggesting that Oliver remain our fifth starter either. Hutchinsen, Wayne or Tejera will probably be better options by then.

If the Red Sox pay part of the contract I can guarantee you they're getting more than Oliver and Valdez back. They aren't running a charity.

I'm all about moving Pavano for a quality middle of the order bat, so if we can get Kim *and* Trot Nixon for Pavano and scraps, that would be awesome. Any idea what Nixon's contract looks like?

I doubt they'd trade Trot. My friends in Boston say he is probably the most popular Sox player to the die hard fans.

If we can't resign Pavano, then we can use the money to go after Renteria.

haha Renteria and Pavano will both cost too much for the Marlins. Renteria might make 10 mil/year. you think so?

I dont see him making more than 8 per