May 22, 200422 yr KIM ON THE RADAR According to an industry source, the Marlins would be interested in acquiring Byung-Hyun Kim from the Red Sox to fortify the bridge between their starters and closer Armando Benitez. Among the potential sticking points to any deal is how much of Kim's two-year, $10 million deal the Red Sox are prepared to swallow. Demoted to Triple-A Pawtucket earlier this month, Kim is owed $4 million this season and $6 million in 2005. Sidelined with a right shoulder strain the season's first 19 days, Kim flopped in the Red Sox rotation, going 1-1 with a 6.17 ERA in three starts. He spent his first four seasons in the Diamondbacks' bullpen and saved 36 games as recently as 2002, when he logged a 2.04 ERA. Reports are Kim has been pitching better since returning to the minors for the first time since 2000. Over four starts at Pawtucket, he is 0-0 with a 2.61 ERA. Kim would also give the Marlins another option in the rotation in the event A.J. Burnett doesn't make it through the season once he returns. After another rough start Friday, Darren Oliver appears to be the odd man out. Because of the collective bargaining agreement, which precludes teams from trading free agent signees before June 1, the Marlins would not be able to deal Oliver until next month if they find a taker. The Marlins could still consummate a transaction this month using a player-to-be-named designation.
May 22, 200422 yr if the red sox eat some of his salary, i'd love to have him. it'd also give us two koreans on this team. :thumbup
May 22, 200422 yr we really need a guy like this on the marlins team if only he was cheaper. The Red Sox eat four million off the deal and I am happy. Throw in DO, and a couple of minor prospects. (Probably a Wilson Valdez would do it since their middle infield sucks at the moment)
May 22, 200422 yr I thought I had read that Boston turned down a deal from the Dodgers to swap Encarnacion and Kim straight up. Why they turned down that deal I don't know. Neither do I know why they'd want Oliver. Did Beinfest tell them that the Yankees made an offer?
May 22, 200422 yr I thought I had read that Boston turned down a deal from the Dodgers to swap Encarnacion and Kim straight up. Why they turned down that deal I don't know. Neither do I know why they'd want Oliver. Did Beinfest tell them that the Yankees made an offer? Which Red Sox outfielder are you going to sit to play Encarnacion?
May 22, 200422 yr A DO for Kim trade straight up I am fine with, but nothing more. what the hell are you smoking? and I like Kim but that $6mil salary in 05 is gross
May 22, 200422 yr A DO for Kim trade straight up I am fine with, but nothing more. what the hell are you smoking? and I like Kim but that $6mil salary in 05 is gross yea for real why the f*** would they make that trade
May 22, 200422 yr It is possible when AJ is back and performing you could see pavano dealt for trot nixon, BK and $$$. Conine could get put in that deal in order to lessen the salery hit the Fish would take. Pavano is an outright free agent and I think Beinfest will try and get something for him. I am not suggesting that Oliver remain our fifth starter either. Hutchinsen, Wayne or Tejera will probably be better options by then.
May 22, 200422 yr The only way I want to see this happen is if Boston eats most of the salary which I doubt will happen.
May 22, 200422 yr if the red sox eat some of his salary, i'd love to have him. it'd also give us two koreans on this team. :thumbup 3 koreans (phelps is from seoul)
May 22, 200422 yr No way. We need as much money as possible next year to keep Armando and Pavano. We shouldn't waste our money on Kim. He's worth about a million a year and that's it, IMO.
May 22, 200422 yr If the Red Sox pay part of the contract I can guarantee you they're getting more than Oliver and Valdez back. They aren't running a charity. I'm all about moving Pavano for a quality middle of the order bat, so if we can get Kim *and* Trot Nixon for Pavano and scraps, that would be awesome. Any idea what Nixon's contract looks like?
May 22, 200422 yr I doubt they'd trade Trot. My friends in Boston say he is probably the most popular Sox player to the die hard fans. If we can't resign Pavano, then we can use the money to go after Renteria.
May 22, 200422 yr The only way I'd trade Pavano to the Sox is if we got Varitek in return, and I don't think that's going to happen.
May 22, 200422 yr The only way I'd trade Pavano is if we were dealing for a stud player like Beltran or Helton.
May 22, 200422 yr I doubt they'd trade Trot. My friends in Boston say he is probably the most popular Sox player to the die hard fans. If we can't resign Pavano, then we can use the money to go after Renteria. haha Renteria and Pavano will both cost too much for the Marlins. Renteria might make 10 mil/year.
May 22, 200422 yr I doubt they'd trade Trot. My friends in Boston say he is probably the most popular Sox player to the die hard fans. If we can't resign Pavano, then we can use the money to go after Renteria. haha Renteria and Pavano will both cost too much for the Marlins. Renteria might make 10 mil/year. you think so? I dont see him making more than 8 per
May 22, 200422 yr Kim is a GREAT talent in the pen, and if he comes at $2-3 Mill a year, I'll take him in a heartbeat.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.