Should Fans vote for the MLB All Star Teams?

Craig

My vote goes for no. Most fans around here are knowledgable, but the fact is that the ASG voting has turned into a popularity contest, and I think that letting the managers or players decide who starts the all star game would make it so that most of the deserving players would be the starters, unlike what is happening in the current system.

What do you think?

i dont mind fans having some sort of input, but i want it to have a minimal impact on the final decision. i voted no.

the way it works right now is ridiculous, particularly in the AL. the AL all-star team will pretty much be the product of everyone's hatred of the yankees. soriano wins because the yanks traded him for pay-rod. nomar wins cuz he's not jeter. as many red sox as possible make the team cuz they aren't the yanks. its hilarious.

Yes.

Not surprising considering the source is a Red Sox fan, and Red Sox players benefit from this system more than maybe players from any other team in baseball..... That has nothing to do with it. On my ballot I voted for 1 re sox player. You think I really like seeing Nomar the leading vote getter at his position when he hasn't played?

Do you think I think that Christ deserved it?

I think the fans should vote because the game is for....the fans.

BTW, Im beginning to think that any answer that disagrees with yours is automatically wrong. Why make a poll with two choices if only one is right? :mad : :banghead

Yes.

Not surprising considering the source is a Red Sox fan, and Red Sox players benefit from this system more than maybe players from any other team in baseball..... That has nothing to do with it. On my ballot I voted for 1 re sox player. You think I really like seeing Nomar the leading vote getter at his position when he hasn't played?

Do you think I think that Christ deserved it?

I think the fans should vote because the game is for....the fans.

BTW, Im beginning to think that any answer that disagrees with yours is automatically wrong. Why make a poll with two choices if only one is right? :mad : :banghead I am just pointing out the facts here, not trying to show you up.

Geez, you are a bit defensive......

Oh, and for the record, thinking i'm wrong doesn't make me think any less of you, because I don't take myself seriously enough to think that, and i'm not arrogant enough to think that.

My vote is no. It's not the All-Star game, it should be called the most popular player game.

And the Red Sox fan that I knew, (she was a coworker of mine while she attended the College of William and Mary) was HOT! I like Red Sox fans!

No, fans don't vote for the best players and that's stupid. They vote for who they've heard of.

The managers are smart enough to start the right guys. And when you have Morgan Friggin' Ensberg and Mr 33 Errors last season ahead of World Series Champion and 2 Time All-Star Mike Lowell, you KNOW something is wrong.

For the state of baseball itself Yes. Personally NO

exactly my opinion....the current voting system is preventing good players from playing in the All Star GAme, but we must also acknowledge that the game is basically a fan fest...it's for the fans! It'd be horrible for baseball if the commissioner decided to usurp voting rights from the fans.

The fans, to some extent, have to vote though because who the hell would wanna see an ASG full of no-names who've had a good season?

I sure don't.

But the way it is right now is ridiculous. However, there's no way you could take all the voting priviliges from the fans. Sadly they've abused them but what kinda of ASG game would it be without fan voting. Fans is what keeps sports alive.

I say no. They always vote for the big name players, regardless of whether they're actually playing well or not. I mean, Mike Piazza is leading the NL catcher voting, and he plays first base now! I'm pretty sure that Nomar is leading the voting for AL starting SS, when he hasn't played this season yet.

Yes. The All-Star Game is a game where the fans pick who they want to see play in the game. Lets say your a Marlin fan and you dont get to see a lot of players in the A.L. so you would vote for them even if they dont deserve to go to the game.

And the game dosent actually count...so it dosent really matter. Its not such a big deal about who wins. It means almost nothing and its not going to have a real effect on anything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.