Why not Wilkerson?

again I will repeat, will Montreal give him up so cheaply when the Yanks and other big pocket teams can offer more?

I would love to see the Yanks offer ANYTHING close to Hutch and Olsen. Remember, they just lost Brown and their staff, as predicted, is getting older and there are a lot of questions.

I think the Marlins would have a better chance getting Wilkerson than Beltran - and in fact, I would prefer Wilkerson to Beltran at this point because he is young (27) and cheap ($375K).

Let the Yanks go for Beltran.

May I also add that Wilkerson only makes $375,000 and is still a young guy. The Expos really have no reason to trade him.

He is cheap - for now. There is no reason to believe he will stay that way though. And with Tomo Ohka going down, the Expos need pitching.

Hell, I agree that K Olsen and T Hutch would be cheap - but a very good starting point. Throw in Abe Nunez...maybe even Damian Easely...

Man, I should be GM...

And Wilkerson would play. I would put him in LF as a platoon with Conine and use Conine to spell Choi at 1B, and even Cabs in RF. Wilkerson could even play some CF to spell JP.

May I also add that Wilkerson only makes $375,000 and is still a young guy. The Expos really have no reason to trade him.

He is cheap - for now. There is no reason to believe he will stay that way though. And with Tomo Ohka going down, the Expos need pitching.

Hell, I agree that K Olsen and T Hutch would be cheap - but a very good starting point. Throw in Abe Nunez...maybe even Damian Easely...

Man, I should be GM...

And Wilkerson would play. I would put him in LF as a platoon with Conine and use Conine to spell Choi at 1B, and even Cabs in RF. Wilkerson could even play some CF to spell JP. You're going to give up two pitching prospects, an alledged five tool bench player, and throw in one of the best hitting middle infielder bench players in the league, for Wilkerson? I'm glad you're not the GM. That's quite a package you put together.

Wilkerson's very very good. I believe last year he led the league in pitches per plate appearance.

Although I don't it helps that much. Catcher and the bullpen are more pressing needs. And as a lefty Wilkerson doesn't make the ideal 3-hole hitter for us.

May I also add that Wilkerson only makes $375,000 and is still a young guy.? The Expos really have no reason to trade him.

Man, I should be GM...

And Wilkerson would play. I would put him in LF as a platoon with Conine and use Conine to spell Choi at 1B, and even Cabs in RF. Wilkerson could even play some CF to spell JP. You're going to give up two pitching prospects, an alledged five tool bench player, and throw in one of the best hitting middle infielder bench players in the league, for Wilkerson? I'm glad you're not the GM. That's quite a package you put together. No, that would be either Damion 'The Omen' Easely or Abe Nunez.

And dont BS me. You know, in fact have been a big propenent yourself, that Abe is not a five tool player. Sure, he has speed and power, but beyond that, it is hard to say.

The other thing is if we get Brad Wilkerson, we would have to find something for Conine AND Easely to do. If you include Easely, you should pick up someone else too from the Spos.

The fact is, Wilkerson would be a better fit than Beltran at this point. And we wouldnt have to give up much - I think K Olsen and T Hutch is good enough, but if the Expos want a bat to replace him, they can have Nunez - who would be expendable after acquiring Wilkerson.

Of course you wouldnt want me as GM. But then again, you miss the old days of losing 100 games too... :D

Wilkerson's very very good. I believe last year he led the league in pitches per plate appearance.

Although I don't it helps that much. Catcher and the bullpen are more pressing needs. And as a lefty Wilkerson doesn't make the ideal 3-hole hitter for us.

How does Wilkerson not make an 'ideal' 3 hitter being lefty? What does that have to do with anything? And why would he have to hit 3?

And dont you think if we scored about 1 run per game, our catching situation would not look as bleak nor would our bullpen be so stressed as to throw a shutout everytime they go out there? Improving the offense only makes the pitching that much better. This is a very sensible way to do it.

Wilkerson's not the ideal 3-hole hitter for us the same reason why Choi isn't. Bunching up your lefties 1-2-3 is just gving the opposing managers the matchup advantage when he goes to the bullpen.

Where else would you put him? Lower in the order wastes his on base ability, and you have to keep him seperate from our other lefthanded power bat (Choi).

Given the way McKeon likes to set up his lineup I don't see anywhere Wilkerson would play. Not 2nd, McKeon doesn't shake it up much. Not 4th, although Lowell-Choi/Wilkerson-Cabrera is probably the best lineup McKeon wouldn't drop Miggy to 5th unless he was going through a slump.

More likely we'll be seeing Easley take some flies in left soon.

I just want to make one thing clear. Kevin Olsen is not a prospect. He is a career minor leaguer. Hutchinson is not even one of our top 10 prospects because he is 25 years old. We couldn't get much of anything with these 2.

According to Baseball America, he's a top 10 prospect. Oh, and Josh Willingham is 25 years old. Does that mean he's not a top 10 prospect?

I just want to make one thing clear. Kevin Olsen is not a prospect. He is a career minor leaguer. Hutchinson is not even one of our top 10 prospects because he is 25 years old. We couldn't get much of anything with these 2.

According to Baseball America, he's a top 10 prospect. Oh, and Josh Willingham is 25 years old. Does that mean he's not a top 10 prospect? He was #10 on the list, but he hasn't been that great this year and in my eyes has been passed by guys like Josh Wilson and Vanden Hurk. The point I'm trying to make though, is that teams are not going to give up much for a 25-year old prospect who only projects as possibly a #5 starter.

I just want to make one thing clear.? Kevin Olsen is not a prospect.? He is a career minor leaguer.? Hutchinson is not even one of our top 10 prospects because he is 25 years old.? We couldn't get much of anything with these 2.

According to Baseball America, he's a top 10 prospect. Oh, and Josh Willingham is 25 years old. Does that mean he's not a top 10 prospect? He was #10 on the list, but he hasn't been that great this year and in my eyes has been passed by guys like Josh Wilson and Vanden Hurk. The point I'm trying to make though, is that teams are not going to give up much for a 25-year old prospect who only projects as possibly a #5 starter. I know, but all I suggested was a starting point.

And 'DaGreatOne', 'da' is very appropriate for you. I am not admiring myself - I got a fan club to do that for me already. :shifty What I am saying here with this thread is since everyone is trying to play GM, why not give it another shot here.

Everyone keeps whispering about Beltran - who has similar numbers to Wilkerson - but costs way more money (and is more talented). Why give up the farm and the financial future for Beltran when we could just as easily go out and try and get Wilkerson? Sure, I dont expect the Expos to deal Wilkerson unless we gave them something really good for him in return. There is no incentive to deal a guy who is outperforming his contract - unless he is going to be a FA (and I dont know the status of Wilkerson's contract). But I think talent wise Abe Nunez, K. Olsen and T Hutch would be a very good package. They would gain 2 pitchers that could contribute RIGHT NOW (and with Ohka out, they need some arms) and an OF to replace Wilkerson in Nunez who is waiting for the chance to start.

I dont see why that is so inconceivable.

Why would the Expos trade one of their best players whos making 350k for 2 minor league pitchers over the age of 25.

gimme a break.

thank you. the spos might be able to use another SP, but they have absolutely no reason to part with a cheap, young, talented player such as BW to get it done.

no offense, but it's ridiculous to think a poor, cost-conscious team with the worst offense in baseball would have any reason to deal wilkerson for a couple of our minor league has-beens.

Wilkerson's not the ideal 3-hole hitter for us the same reason why Choi isn't. Bunching up your lefties 1-2-3 is just gving the opposing managers the matchup advantage when he goes to the bullpen.

Where else would you put him? Lower in the order wastes his on base ability, and you have to keep him seperate from our other lefthanded power bat (Choi).

Given the way McKeon likes to set up his lineup I don't see anywhere Wilkerson would play. Not 2nd, McKeon doesn't shake it up much. Not 4th, although Lowell-Choi/Wilkerson-Cabrera is probably the best lineup McKeon wouldn't drop Miggy to 5th unless he was going through a slump.

More likely we'll be seeing Easley take some flies in left soon.

I think you are micromanaging at that point. Let me ask you this, how many relievers in baseball are lefty? How many dominant lefties are there in baseball? In other words, if you put Wilkerson 3, and have a lefty 1,2,3 punch, Right handed pitching has a good chance of being eaten alive by the Marlins - especially considering that we hit righties pretty well to begin with. Lefties, now that is where you seem to worry. But Castillo is a switch hitter and you can always put Conine at 1B or even LF to face the lefty for Choi or Wilkerson.

In fact, I see that this move would give the Marlins MORE flexibility and force other teams to really strategize about how to approach our hitters.

One more wrinkle, think about a lefty on the mound with JP on base. Castillo would be batting right handed - which means he will have more power and is, in my opinion a better hitter. Also, that lefty would be torn between trying to keep JP or Castillo on base and pitching to Wilkerson. Depending on the lefty, the defense would have to adjust and that could play into our speedy leadoff men's hands.

I dont know about you, but I dont see a reason to think that getting a lefty to hit 3 is such a bad thing. In fact, it could only help this team from what I can see - especially with the way Wilkerson is hitting the ball.

Why would the Expos trade one of their best players whos making 350k for 2 minor league pitchers over the age of 25.

gimme a break.

thank you. the spos might be able to use another SP, but they have absolutely no reason to part with a cheap, young, talented player such as BW to get it done.

no offense, but it's ridiculous to think a poor, cost-conscious team with the worst offense in baseball would have any reason to deal wilkerson. I agree, I am not saying it will happen. I am saying that if you are going to sell the farm for Beltran, why not find someone else better out there. (And by 'better' I mean more in line with our teams needs, i.e. finances)

But I dont necessarily think that such a deal like this is out of the realm of possibility. If we gave the Expos 2 starters and an OF that could contribute right now, and all for the league minimum, they are actually making a damn good deal. They would be increasing their talent pool, which they desperately need considering they depleted a lot of their talent a couple of years ago. You cant argue getting 3 starters for 1. There is no logic in that. Now, if you want to argue against talent for talent, that is something that is negotiable and the Marlins have the currency (i.e. the talent) to get a deal done.