Is a retractable roof really NECESSARY?

A retractable roof is certainly a luxury, but by no means is it necessary. Infact not one game at all last season was rained out and theres only been ONE postponement over the past THREE seasons! Not including a retractably roof will save tens of millions of dollars which could be spent on securing long term contracts for our current young stars or signing big name free agents.

Sure, a retractable roof will probably come in handy just a couple times each season, but is it really NECESSARY to spend this type of money on a roof when we are a small market team just struggling to even pay our current players?

Mabye they'll primarily use it to shield fans and players from the brutal sun during day games. Personally, i've got the 41 game flex plan and went out of my way to make sure that 90% of the games that I am attending this season will be night games just to avoid the sun and the humidity.

Let's keep this thread mature, that means no flames please.

Guest Moneyball

ofcourse it is necessary. it is south florida it could be raining in hialeah or any different parts and most people automatically think its raining at PPS. i also find it miserable going to a baseball game on sunday even maybe a saturday with it being 86-93 degrees with 100% humidity and it feels like 105. sure most of us wouldn't mind because we are extreme baseball fans. but what happens to those semicasual to casual baseball fans who would rather avoid the heat by going to the beach or the movies?

Aside from the fan perspective... a roof is necessary for the Marlins to get the bulk of the stadium revenue. The county would have requested larger shares of parking and concessions if they could not have used the stadium to attract other events. Bowl games and concerts could probably have been held anyway, but because of the roof and protection from the weather the county can now demand more than Huizenga can at Pro Player. There's also the possibility of hosting the NCAA basketball tournament like Tropicana has (Houston's Reliant Stadium will be the first retractable dome to host a Final Four in 2011).

Its neccesary not because of the rain is consistently on PPS but the threat of rain is and that drives people away.

thank ya.

the threat of rain drives far, far more people away than rain itself.

itd also be nice to have a roof to pull over during a hot summer day.

Aside from the fan perspective... a roof is necessary for the Marlins to get the bulk of the stadium revenue. The county would have requested larger shares of parking and concessions if they could not have used the stadium to attract other events. Bowl games and concerts could probably have been held anyway, but because of the roof and protection from the weather the county can now demand more than Huizenga can at Pro Player. There's also the possibility of hosting the NCAA basketball tournament like Tropicana has (Houston's Reliant Stadium will be the first retractable dome to host a Final Four in 2011).

Speaking of concerts, I remember the last time *NSYNC came on tour, they were supposed to be at PPS. I had my tickets and I was ready to go. I think it was the day before, they cancelled the show at PPS because of the bad weather and the equipment got struck by lightning. The show ended up being cancelled. So there you go. More proof that we need a roof to host concerts and other events.

Sunday afternoon games are brutal unless you are sitting in the club level, or 3B infield seats. Having the roof would likely boost attendance 5-10K on Sunday's alone.

I'm certain the rain discouraged fans from attending last night, eventhough by game time the clouds cleared.

Sunday afternoon games are brutal unless you are sitting in the club level, or 3B infield seats. Having the roof would likely boost attendance 5-10K on Sunday's alone.

I'm certain the rain discouraged fans from attending last night, eventhough by game time the clouds cleared.

Man, I couldn't agree more. The rain/retractable roof thing ignores the other reasons why a roof is essential.

The sun, in my estimation is probably more a problem and an attendance killer than rain, or close to it. You're right, Sunday's are just brutal, even in the upperdeck where you can always grab a seat in the shade of the Jumbotron scoreboard (a little perk in the upperdeck).

After sitting in the outfield at tonight's game in the 6 o'clock sun

ROOF IS A MUST

I musta lost at least 5 pounds from sweating so damn much and plus, it's so hard to see the game because the sun is shading right in your eye, even with sunglasses.

After sitting in the outfield at tonight's game in the 6 o'clock sun

ROOF IS A MUST

I musta lost at least 5 pounds from sweating so damn much and plus, it's so hard to see the game because the sun is shading right in your eye, even with sunglasses.

I feel your pain.

I don't mind the heat. C'mon people we live in South Florida, get used to it.

I agree with you...and second, part of the "going out to the ballpark instead of staying in your comfy couch" experience is precisely that: the heat, sweat, etc!!!

I want a retractable roof because it would preserve baseball as it is meant to be played, with the elements...at the same time, it would provide a shield against the always present threat of rain in So.Fla.

Speaking of concerts, I remember the last time *NSYNC came on tour, they were supposed to be at PPS. I had my tickets and I was ready to go. I think it was the day before, they cancelled the show at PPS because of the bad weather and the equipment got struck by lightning. The show ended up being cancelled. So there you go. More proof that we need a roof to host concerts and other events.

Whoa. nsync. I guess rain is a good thing :lol

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa. nsync. I guess rain is a good thing :lol

423149[/snapback]

That is funny.

I never thought about the possibility of the NCAA tourney in the new park. That tickles my fancy!