Who is John Edwards

John Edwards was born in Seneca, South Carolina and raised in Robbins, North Carolina, a small town in the Piedmont. There John learned the values of hard work and perseverance from his father, Wallace, who worked in the textile mills for 36 years, and from his mother, Bobbie, who ran a shop and worked at the post office. Working alongside his father at the mill, John developed his strong belief that all Americans deserve an equal opportunity to succeed and be heard.

A proud product of public schools, John became the first person in his family to attend college. He worked his way through North Carolina State University where he graduated with high honors in 1974, and then earned a law degree with honors in 1977 from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

For the next 20 years, John dedicated his career to representing families and children hurt by the negligence of others. Standing up against the powerful insurance industry and their armies of lawyers, John helped these families through the darkest moments of their lives to overcome tremendous challenges. His passionate advocacy for people like the folks who worked in the mill with his father earned him respect and recognition across the country.

In 1998, John took this commitment into politics to give a voice in the United States Senate to the people he had represented throughout his career. He ran for the Senate and won, defeating an incumbent Senator.

In Congress, Senator Edwards quickly emerged as a champion for the issues that make a difference to American families: quality health care, better schools, protecting civil liberties, preserving the environment, saving Social Security and Medicare, and reforming the ways campaigns are financed.

As a member of the Select Committee on Intelligence, Senator Edwards has worked tirelessly for a strong national defense and to strengthen the security of our homeland. He has authored key pieces of legislation on cyber, bio, and port security.

Senator Edwards and his wife, Elizabeth, whom he met when both were law students at Chapel Hill, were married in 1977. They have had four children, including: their eldest daughter, Catharine, a student at Princeton University; five-year-old Emma Claire, and a three-year-old son, Jack. Their first child, Wade, died in 1996.

I figure I'd put something positive about the man, since we'll be hearing all kinds of slander from the dark side.

:hat Bring it on!

Ok, to be positive, I like Edwards.

He's charismatic and dynamic, which are two thinks Kerry lacks a bit.

OK, that's all I can think of right now.

PS: For the next 20 years, John dedicated his career to representing families and children hurt by the negligence of others. Standing up against the powerful insurance industry and their armies of lawyers, John helped these families through the darkest moments of their lives to overcome tremendous challenges. His passionate advocacy for people like the folks who worked in the mill with his father earned him respect and recognition across the country.

This kills me. I can't wait until his fees on these cases are disclosed. On the evolutionary scale a class action trial lawyer is right above a used car salesman and just below single cell amoeba.

Are you sure the Democrats will accept him? I mean, he came from a rich background...and in the members of the Democratic party minds:

rich = an evil person who can't possibly be a good leader.

443676[/snapback]

He wasn't born rich, he made his millions bringing class action lawsuits against evil corporations and immoral insurance companies as a champion of the poor, downtrodden and exploited. Or something like that.

Are you sure the Democrats will accept him? I mean, he came from a rich background...and in the members of the Democratic party minds:

rich = an evil person who can't possibly be a good leader.

443676[/snapback]

Did you even read his bio? I guess not.

First he did not come from a "rich" background.

Second, not all rich people are evil or greedy. :mischief

Hmmm....I seemed to remember a Democratic debate and how Edwards didn't have as much credibility because he came from a rich background...maybe I'm wrong. Either way, those darn wealthy people and their money. They suck.

Hmmm....I seemed to remember a Democratic debate and how Edwards didn't have as much credibility because he came from a rich background...maybe I'm wrong. Either way, those darn wealthy people and their money. They suck.

443683[/snapback]

Yeah those darn corporations that outsource jobs to other countries and get huge tax cuts for doing it too... :thumbdown

Hmmm....I seemed to remember a Democratic debate and how Edwards didn't have as much credibility because he came from a rich background...maybe I'm wrong.? Either way, those darn wealthy people and their money.? They suck.

443683[/snapback]

Yeah those darn corporations that outsource jobs to other countries and get huge tax cuts for doing it too... :thumbdown

443686[/snapback]

Your attitude towards outsourcing belies your ignorance regarding the issue.

In contrast to the campaign pandering to an ignorant American public that doesn't understand the most rudimentary concepts of economics, most think tanks (Republican and Democratic alike) agree that outsourcing is the scourge it's made out to be.

But tell John Q. Public that some evil corporation is going to give their job away to some brown people and he's all pissed off.

443686[/snapback]

Have you been laid off or anything?

How does the abortion decision of a stranger affect you??

How does a corporation you don't work for moving to other countries affect you?

443694[/snapback]

:mischief That's easy... I'm a sucker for seeing other Americans as happy as I am. If they are happy because they have jobs, they can afford to buy the products my company sells and my job is safe. :)

443694[/snapback]

:mischief That's easy... I'm a sucker for seeing other Americans as happy as I am. If they are happy because they have jobs, they can afford to buy the products my company sells and my job is safe. :)

443704[/snapback]

Take an Economics course. Sheesh.

Edwards should be running for president, at least he won't destroy the country like Kerry will.

446343[/snapback]

That's hitting the nail on the head.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that deep down, way, way down in the farthest reaches of the souls of most Democrats there lies a dark, evil contradiction:

They would like Edwards to be running as President and Kerry as VP.

Remember way back, in a time long ago, when there were three or four possible DNC nominees, when the big issue was "electability?" One of the biggest knocks on Kerry was electability, but now that's all been crammed back into the closet, for fear of the truth getting out.

The guy running for President isn't even the best man on his own ticket, much less within the party.

Bravo, good job. And for a second we Republicans were worried that you all learned from the mistakes of Mondale and Dukakis.... But here you are desperate to make the same mistakes again.

Deep down in our darkest part we all would like Bill Clinton to run for President again. :mischief

Edwards is the perfect VP choice. Kerry is the perfect man for the job of President. One is articulate and persuasive and will crush Cheney on the debates, the other is knowledgeable and experienced and he'll definetely crush Bush on the debates... That is, if Bush takes the challenge and doesn't chicken out.