Contreras rumor

Fishin2004

from the Sun Sentinel.....

boy, i would hate it if we help the Yankees get the Big Unit :thumbdown

Marlins may get Contreras in 3-way deal

By Mike Berardino

Staff writer

Posted July 29 2004

Determined to acquire five-time Cy Young Award winner Randy Johnson, the New York Yankees have enlisted the Marlins' services.

With the Yankees lacking sufficient prospects to entice the Arizona Diamondbacks, Johnson's current employer, the Marlins could swap several prospects and come out with Yankees right-hander Jose Contreras and Arizona catcher Brent Mayne.

As the Marlins continued to crunch the numbers Wednesday in their complex bid for Rockies right fielder Admin Walker, they also spent significant time on the Contreras plan. The former Cuban defector, who has both started and relieved during his time in pinstripes, would serve as a power setup man for Marlins closer Armando Benitez.

He would also serve as insurance in case Benitez's inflamed right elbow becomes a larger problem. The Marlins scouted Contreras' last start, Sunday in Boston; he is 8-4 with a 5.36 ERA and is due to start again today in New York on short rest.

A baseball official familiar with the talks said Wednesday the potential three-way deal was "simmering," with a fair chance of reaching completion before Saturday's 4 p.m. nonwaiver trade deadline.

A second baseball official confirmed the three-way scenario was an active discussion, but neither player's agent had been approached. Both Johnson and Contreras have the contractual right to block any deal.

"I have not received any phone calls from the Yankees or anybody representing the Yankees regarding Jose Contreras," Jaime Torres, the pitcher's agent, said Wednesday. "I would think I would know, because he would have to agree to any deal."

Double-A first baseman Jason Stokes would be the likely centerpiece of the Marlins' contribution, sources said, possibly along with Double-A lefty Bill Murphy, the Marlins' only representative at the recent Futures Game, and outfielder Abraham Nunez.

All three would go to Arizona along with a couple of Yankees prospects, possibly Triple-A catcher Dioner Navarro and Class A third baseman Eric Duncan. Several factors, however, could cause the deal to collapse.

Contreras, 32, could block the trade, although that's not expected to be a problem in the Marlins' case. Contreras, whose wife and two children recently joined him in the U.S., makes his offseason home in Tampa.

The well-heeled Yankees would have to pay a significant chunk of the $19.5 million that remains on Contreras' contract through 2006.

Arizona is said to prefer dealing Johnson to the Anaheim Angels, who could offer a better package of prospects than the Marlins and Yankees combined.

Johnson could reject the deal, even though the Yankees are reportedly his first choice.

Central Baseball might have a problem with too much Yankees money changing hands. It reworked last year's deadline deal with Cincinnati that brought reliever Gabe White to New York.

Should Johnson land with the Angels, the Marlins could still benefit from the fallout. The clubs have discussed dealing Angels outfielder Jose Guillen for Double-A pitcher Randy Messenger and another prospect.

Guillen is considered a fallback in case the Marlins are unable to land Walker, whose $12.5 million annual salary would help him clear waivers next month. Guillen, 28, is due $4.6 million through next year.

The names of Class A shortstop Robert Andino and Class A pitcher Yorman Bazardo have surfaced in talks with the Rockies, who had previously targeted lefties Scott Olsen and Bill Murphy and Double-A right-hander Ronald Belizario.

Arizona and the Marlins also have discussed a three-way deal with San Diego. The Padres would get outfielder Steve Finley, the Diamondbacks would get a package of Marlins prospects, but it's unclear what the Marlins would receive.

Padres mentioned in trade reports include outfielders Jay Payton and Terrence Long and reliever Jay Witasick.

The Dodgers have interest in Marlins right-hander Brad Penny, possibly for catcher Paul Lo Duca, but that could be dependent on Contreras coming south.

Guest FishFanInPA

Wow...a lot of deals to sort out....

Thumbs up to Guillen...exactly what we need and at a semi-reasonable price.

Thumbs up to the Lo Duca deal if it can be done...good catcher.....I've been a fan of dealin Penny...too inconsistent.

Thumbs down on Contreras...NO MORE PROJECTS!!!

Thumbs up to ownership for making all these supposed deals.

I'm mixed on Lo Duca, I'm opposed to Contreras if he costs as much as Berardino suggests (I mean, hell, it seems that we're pretty much giving the D'Backs all they get for Johnson...wouldn't the Unit look great in teal? ;) )

I'm intrigued by Guillen...personally, he'd be my #1 ahead of Walker...but that's just me.

Guillen's an interesting name, but I remember with Cincy he complains when he's not a full-time starter, so unless Niner is dealt.... I dunno.

definitely a cheaper bat though.

Contreras would be a nice piece for the bullpen, but this 3-way deal would get us Contreras and Brent Mayne & cost us Stokes and Murphy??

Sounds like a lot...

Guest FishFanInPA

Pro Sports Daily has the following rumors:

Dodgers-Fish....Lo Duca, Penny, Burnett has been thrown around.

Angels-Fish....Guillen

Mariners-Fish.....Villone, Myers

Rockies-Fish.....Reed, Walker

D-Backs-Fish.....Finley, Mayne

Skankees-Fish.......Contreras

Pro Sports Daily has the following rumors:

Dodgers-Fish....Lo Duca, Penny, Burnett has been thrown around.

Angels-Fish....Guillen

Mariners-Fish.....Villone, Myers

Rockies-Fish.....Reed, Walker

D-Backs-Fish.....Finley, Mayne

Skankees-Fish.......Contreras

481075[/snapback]

Burnett's name should never ever be mentioned in trade rumors.

Blasphemy!

I'm mixed on Lo Duca, I'm opposed to Contreras if he costs as much as Berardino suggests (I mean, hell, it seems that we're pretty much giving the D'Backs all they get for Johnson...wouldn't the Unit look great in teal? ;) )

I'm intrigued by Guillen...personally, he'd be my #1 ahead of Walker...but that's just me.

481069[/snapback]

I agree, it's like we're dealing all the good prospects for the Yanks to get Big Unit, & all we're getting is Contreras out of it. Mayne is no upgrade.

Guest markotsay7

Contreras CAN NOT PITCH to major league hitters. He's another AAAA player like Ramon Castro. They should start their own team.

Trading Penny for LoDuca...why? Penny gets no respect. Year in, year out he's a great #3 starter for any team. Look at his stats. And have you not noticed that this year he has a 3.15 ERA - 10th in the NL? Who beat the Yankees twice with a 2.19 World Series ERA?

Lo Duca is 32. He is certainly an upgrade from what we have now. But trade away Penny and who do you replace him with? Contreras? Bump? Wayne?

yeah lo duca allways has his second half slump an it will happen right when he comes hear *hoping doesnt happen* but on the other hand i would have to make guillen my #1 target hes young great hitter can play all pos in the of and Has a cannon also landing him would limit the roster moves unlike Admin walker who would send cabrera to left conine to the bench or to first wit choi

Forget Contreras!

Should Johnson land with the Angels, the Marlins could still benefit from the fallout. The clubs have discussed dealing Angels outfielder Jose Guillen for Double-A pitcher Randy Messenger and another prospect.

Get Jose Guillen!!

No Contreras. We shouldn't be giving up names like Murphy, Scottt Olsen or Stokes for him. That trade is so bad it sounds like it came from 'Joe in Brooklyn' much like the Nomar for our best pitchign rumors Peter Gammons was pushing a month ago.

Guillen would be nice, but I don't think it would happen.

Long/Witasick would be best for the Marlins. Adds depth to the bench and bullpen for very little.

Why would the Angels want to get rid of Guillen? Anyone care to explain. Only thing I can think of, is that he's such a bad influence in the clubhouse they've decided to trade him.

481098[/snapback]

They have troy glaus on the dl i think he ould be coming back soon not sure and a speedy guy chone figgins who is up and coming and a util man right now playing 3rd base but does play the of ...well. If glaus comes back there gonna put guillen on the bench so mayb they figure why not trade and get prospects

Not sure if this is reliable or not. But the potential 3-way deal with us Padres, and D'backs goes as such: We recieve Akinori Otsuka, Padres recieve Steve Finely, and the prospects are still a mystery (prob Stokes).

For me the deal makes no sense, unless the D'backs are really that interested in our prospects. The Padres farm system isn't bad, bringing us in is a just complicating the issue. But I'll take Jack trying to speak Japanese, English, Spanish, and Korean. :lol

Just for the record it came from a couple of friends in SD who were watching the local news this morning.

Not sure if this is reliable or not. But the potential 3-way deal with us Padres, and D'backs goes as such: We recieve Akinori Otsuka, Padres recieve Steve Finely, and the prospects are still a mystery (prob Stokes).

For me the deal makes no sense, unless the D'backs are really that interested in our prospects. The Padres farm system isn't bad, bringing us in is a just complicating the issue. But I'll take Jack trying to speak Japanese, English, Spanish, and Korean. :lol

Just for the record it came from a couple of friends in SD who were watching the local news this morning.

481107[/snapback]

I would do that deal in a second. Otsuka's a stud and would be a great set-up man.

Guest FishFanInPA

Not sure if this is reliable or not.? But the potential 3-way deal with us Padres, and D'backs goes as such:? We recieve Akinori Otsuka, Padres recieve Steve Finely, and the prospects are still a mystery (prob Stokes).

For me the deal makes no sense, unless the D'backs are really that interested in our prospects.? The Padres farm system isn't bad, bringing us in is a just complicating the issue.? But I'll take Jack trying to speak Japanese, English, Spanish, and Korean.? :lol

481107[/snapback]

I would do that deal in a second. Otsuka's a stud and would be a great set-up man.

481129[/snapback]

Why would the Padres get rid of him? He's a rookie of the year candidate and has been lights out. Your more likely to get Rod Beck now then him.

Not sure if this is reliable or not.? But the potential 3-way deal with us Padres, and D'backs goes as such:? We recieve Akinori Otsuka, Padres recieve Steve Finely, and the prospects are still a mystery (prob Stokes).

For me the deal makes no sense, unless the D'backs are really that interested in our prospects.? The Padres farm system isn't bad, bringing us in is a just complicating the issue.? But I'll take Jack trying to speak Japanese, English, Spanish, and Korean.? :lol

481107[/snapback]

481129[/snapback]

Me too. Otsuka would be a huge addition to the pen. If we traded Stokes in this deal, we would probably trade some young pitching for a bat - Guillen or Bautista perhaps???

how can anyone not be happy if we got Contreras? COME ON. He has electric stuff, plus maybe because of the big new york spot light, and their horrible fans, he is oing bad. If he comes to miami, it might work out like Benitez.

481186[/snapback]

Be3cause Stokes and Murphy/Olsen could net us a younger and better player.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.