Marlins team would you rather have

TealMonster

Guest FishFanInPA

2003 for sure...I loved the passion that team brought....1997 was too cold and too unfun like 2003....1997 lacked players like peanut and Luis..

1997 Team: 2003 Team:

Craig Counsell - 2B Juan Pierre - CF

Edgar Renteria - SS Luis Castillo - 2B

Mosies Alou - LF Pudge Rodriguez - C

Gary Sheffield - RF Miguel Cabrera - RF

Darren Daulton - 1B Mike Lowell - 3B

Charles Johnson - C Derrek Lee - 1B

Bobby Bonilla - 3B Jeff Conine - LF

Devon White - CF Alex Gonzalez - SS

Kevin Brown - SP Josh Beckett - SP

Yeah i'll take the 2003 Marlins over the 1997 Marlins.

Anyone who votes for the 2003 team over the 1997 team obviously wasn't a fan back then. If Huizenga didn't destroy the team in 1998, the Marlins were without a doubt going to be the next great dynasty. When you compare player to player right now like the "Marlin Phenom", OF COURSE the 2003 team looks better, you need to compare both teams and players when they were in their prime and when you do that, the 1997 team is by far the clear choice.

While the 03 Fish were a pleasant surprise to win it all. Anybody who says they knew last years team was going to win is either crazy or a genius. The 97 team was put together to win and win it did. 97 had far more depth on the bench and the starting pitching was better than 03's. Statisically the 97 team had a better team ERA and the bullpen produced more saves also than 03. Also the personality of the 97 team especially Sheff, Bobby Bo, Alex, Livan and Cookie set the tone for the team.

i rather watch the 97 team cause you knew those guys were gonna win, it was like the mini yankees we had ..Bonilla,alou,renteria,sheff,johnson,brown,leiter,hernandez,nen,and the list goes on all those guys were all-stars...dont get me wrong i love the 03 guys cause they were fighters and had lots of heart but they would lose to the 97 team..

i don't think it's as clear cut that the 97 team was better as some are saying.

the 1997 team definatly had a better rotation, a better bullpen, and a better bench.

that 1997 was not that great offensively that year though. i think only 2 players hit over 20 HRs (Alou and Sheff) and no one hit over 25 HRs, did anyone on that team even hit .300?

if you go player by player in that line up it's not like 1997 would have an edge on 2003, actually you'd find yourself picking more out of the 2003 line up, Lowell over Bonilla, Castillo over Counsell, Lee over Conine, Pudge waaaay over CJ, Pierre over White, Sheff, Alou and Renteria would make the line up and that's if you take out a great player like Cabrera.

2003 was the better defensive team.

the 1997 team would have been sick if was kept in tack though, i think they actually underachived offensivley that year. Cliff Floyd would have either taken over in CF for Devon White or 1b for Conine. Cliff, Sheff and Alou in the middle of that line up would've been nice.

i don't think it's as clear cut that the 97 team was better as some are saying.

the 1997 team definatly had a better rotation, a better bullpen, and a better bench.

that 1997 was not that great offensively that year though. i think only 2 players hit over 20 HRs (Alou and Sheff) and no one hit over 25 HRs, did anyone on that team even hit .300?

if you go player by player in that line up it's not like 1997 would have an edge on 2003, actually you'd find yourself picking more out of the 2003 line up, Lowell over Bonilla, Castillo over Counsell, Lee over Conine, Pudge waaaay over CJ, Pierre over White, Sheff, Alou and Renteria would make the line up and that's if you take out a great player like Cabrera.

2003 was the better defensive team.

the 1997 team would have been sick if was kept in tack though, i think they actually underachived offensivley that year. Cliff Floyd would have either taken over in CF for Devon White or 1b for Conine. Cliff, Sheff and Alou in the middle of that line up would've been nice.

504637[/snapback]

excellent analysis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.