Colorado Rockies vs Florida Marlins - August 29

Bob Dole

Yahoo! Sports Game Preview

A.J. Burnett will try to remain perfect at home and help the defending World Series champion Florida Marlins stay in the playoff picture as they complete a three-game series with the Colorado Rockies.

Burnett is 4-0 with a 2.87 ERA in nine starts at Pro Player Stadium, including a solid effort in Tuesday's 9-1 victory over San Francisco. The right-hander allowed one run and two hits over seven innings, improving to 3-1 with a 3.55 ERA over his last six starts.

The Marlins pulled within five games of the NL wild card-leading Chicago Cubs with Saturday's 4-3 win, their fifth victory in the last seven games.

``We've just got to keep battling,'' said Florida right-hander Carl Pavano, who pitched eight solid innings. ``We've got to keep playing well. I think we have a lot of things going for us over the next 10 games.''

Juan Encarnacion, who failed to lay down a sacrifice bunt but hit a go-ahead home run instead, drove in all four runs for Florida. Encarnacion's homer, a two-run shot in the eighth, was his first homer since Los Angeles traded him to Florida on July 30. He homered for the first time since July 24, a span of 99 at-bats.

``He can't bunt, thank God,'' Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria said jokingly.

The Marlins, who have already clinched their first season series win over the Rockies since 2000, are going for their first home sweep of Colorado since Aug. 6-8, 1999.

The Rockies have lost six in a row, including an 0-5 mark on their current 12-game road trip.

Clint Barmes, recalled from Triple-A Colorado Springs before Saturday's game, hit his first career homer and drove in all three runs for the Rockies.

The shortstop, who took a 6:30 a.m. flight from Albuquerque and arrived at the ballpark 2 1/2 hours before the game, finished 1-for-4.

``It was one of the greatest feelings of my life,'' Barmes said. ``It was a pretty exciting game for me overall.''

Stat of the day: Mike Lowell's career vs Estes

.500 AVG, 2 SB, 9 RBI (12 At Bats)

Guest FishFanInPA

I dont like the lineup change...jack better not think Enc isnt gonna stink down there anymore...the Black Hole is back together.