How much of a paycut will Pavano take?

Iowa

The question isn't how much money he'll leave on the table, we know that never works.

If we don't have Carl locked up before November 15th, he ain't coming back. Hopefully we learned from the Pudge mistake, and we've learned that we need to give him his money before other teams can offer to him (even though Pudge was different, I know).

Either way, we've got to offer him arby, so we'll have time to talk to him, and something to show if he leaves. Plus, that money doesn't need to go to Pavano, it just needs to go to making our team better. Will it suck if he leaves? Yes, but he is more replaceable than some other aspects of this team that may be leaving (Lo Duca).

Pavano will go where he can get the most money, it's just that simple.

He's already got a ring and has stated before on Marlins On Deck in an interview with Craig that he is planning for the future and for a family and that money is definitely the main deciding factor, even though he doesn't like talking about it publicly.

Pavs already has a championship ring, so now it's all about the money.

He's already got a ring and has stated before on Marlins On Deck in an interview with Craig that he is planning for the future and for a family and that money is definitely the main deciding factor, even though he doesn't like talking about it publicly.

Pavs already has a championship ring, so now it's all about the money.575700[/snapback]

dog, what does a championship ring have to do with it? a ring isnt gauranteed. for him its about security and money then comes comfort and mayyybe loyalty. we dont know what he wants. so just let it play out. dont put words in the mans mouth.

I really think he'd take less to stay here. He's publicly said how greatful he is to the Marlins ownership for giving him his chance and he's also said how much he likes playing here.... How much does that really mean is yet to be seen, but I have faith he'll be a Marlin next year.... Besides, when we traded Penny, I'm sure it was with the intention of having more money to keep Pavano. We knew one of them was gonna be gone next year. The trade answered that question for me.

Pavs already has a championship ring, so now it's all about the money.575700[/snapback]

dog, what does a championship ring have to do with it? a ring isnt gauranteed. for him its about security and money then comes comfort and mayyybe loyalty. we dont know what he wants. so just let it play out. dont put words in the mans mouth.

575929[/snapback]

dog!?!? I know some people type like they talk but come on, that's taking it to a new extreme. We do know what he wants because he publically stated what he wants.

Pavano will go where he can get the most money, it's just that simple.?

575929[/snapback]

dog!?!? I know some people type like they talk but come on, that's taking it to a new extreme. We do know what he wants because he publically stated what he wants.

576049[/snapback]

who cares about how i write on a mssg board. as long as i get the point accross who cares. this aint engilsh class and its not a formal environment. this is a baseball mssg board not an english one. you wanna show how smart you are go somewhere else homeboy

I really think he'd take less to stay here. He's publicly said how greatful he is to the Marlins ownership for giving him his chance and he's also said how much he likes playing here.... How much does that really mean is yet to be seen, but I have faith he'll be a Marlin next year.... Besides, when we traded Penny, I'm sure it was with the intention of having more money to keep Pavano. We knew one of them was gonna be gone next year. The trade answered that question for me.

575975[/snapback]

We traded Penny, but we got a lot of $$$ commitmets on Lo Duca, Mota, and Enc. So don't think that getting rid of Penny is equal to keeping Pavano.

I could see him taking 7-8 mil per from us even if offered 10 mil per elsewhere.

575414[/snapback]

Yeah just like Pudge.

576207[/snapback]

Pudge didn't but I don't think Pavano has the same attitude as Pudge. Plus the fact Pudge had been with this front office for 1 season and Pavano has been with them for years. They also gave him his first real chance.

Loyalty does mean something to some. Not everyone is greedy.

I could see him taking 7-8 mil per from us even if offered 10 mil per elsewhere.

575414[/snapback]

Yeah just like Pudge.

576207[/snapback]

Pudge didn't but I don't think Pavano has the same attitude as Pudge. Plus the fact Pudge had been with this front office for 1 season and Pavano has been with them for years. They also gave him his first real chance.

Loyalty does mean something to some. Not everyone is greedy.

576214[/snapback]

If there is no stadium deal by the time Pavs gets serious to sign with someone he will get out of town. He, like everyone else, has seen how one Loria franchise has fallen, does he want to latch himself onto another Loria franchise that doesn't get a stadium deal? :mischief2 Loria's goal in life is to get a MLB team and a stadium for them. So far he is 0-1, and that 1 happens to be the Expos that he ran into the ground, and people are suing him for it now. What happens if the Marlins don't get their stadium? At least Wayne sold the team when he lost intrest in them before completely destorying them for years to come.

575975[/snapback]

He has said he would prefer to say in South Florida than go anywhere else. So Pudge might have said the same thing, but Beinfest never really tried to keep Pudge. It's not even certain that they oferred the 21 million dollar contract. Pavano has all the reasons to stay here, he has good relations with Loria, his career made a dramatic turn for the better while in Florida and he might feel alot more comfortable about it continuing to suceed while he is in Florida, he won a Championship ring here and the Fish with him will continue to field a competitive team year in and year out.

How much is this preference worth to him? I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a couple million less a year to stay here than go to New York.

Here's how it'll play out ...Pavano and the Marlins will begin talking a soon as the season is over. The Marlins IMO will not go pass 7mil/yr, Pav knows he can't squeeze the organization for ever last penny, He could take a similar contract to that of Lowells. Yankees are the only team that scares me, they could almost double the Marlins' offer. Which could make it tough for Carl to turn down.

What would Plan B be, if Carl walks?

I could see a trade for someone like a Joe Kennedy or a Tony Armas jr(I think his a free agent). Inside the organization Hutchinson or Kensing will get there shot at the spot. My bet is they'll make a move outside the organization. Also if Carl walks Armando will be offer contract to retain him. We'll know more at the end of the season.

Hey ramp, I disagree Carl has good stuff, not great, but good. What makes Carl so good this season is knowing his opp., knowing his weakness and strengths. That has come with experience, if you notice the guys that have hurt Carl this season have been players he's never faced. The Expos' Church took him deep last homestand, the kid in Colorado took him yard at the Pro this summer. I'm not saying only rookies have taken him deep or have hurt Carl all year...but more times than not Carls been hurt by the lack of knowing the players. Will Carl win 17 or 18 ever year? No but what is a pitcher that can eat up innings and give you 13-16 wins a year worth? Carl is a very solid pitcher, He's worth it bud...nice to hear from you :D