Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins sign John Riedling

Featured Replies

According to Rotoworld, the Marlins signed John Riedling to a one year, $750,000 deal today.

 

Like the Rotoworld thing says, this isn't surprising since they tried to trade for him last spring, but I do wonder why they keep adding righties to the 'pen. Also, giving Riedling $750k but refusing to give Perisho, who held lefties to a .207 BAA, a contract this size (which probably would have done it) is somewhat strange.

Cool... I wondered that too why do we keep getting righties :headscratch ,

 

I wonder if he still lives in Wellington :D

Can he atleast spot-start? No one else in the bullpen can except Bump and Howard who look to be bumped for a lefty.

It is strange that they signed another righty, but still a solid addition. It's pretty clear that they are uncomfortable with another season of minor league callups. Reidling had a bad year last year, but has performed well in the past. The Marlins have liked him for a while, so to get him without trading a player is a good thing. What I think is a major positive in this offseason is the experience added in the pen. With Mota, Alfonseca, Spooney, Jones, and Reidling coming out of the pen, I think we are in better shape than last season overall. There is a need for a lefty specialist, though.

  • Author

Can he atleast spot-start? No one else in the bullpen can except Bump and Howard who look to be bumped for a lefty.

641020[/snapback]

 

 

I was wondering the same thing. Like you said, if Bump or Howard are left off for a lefty, the Marlins have no one to spot start. I guess they could carry an additional pitcher and leave a position player off the roster; or just forget about a lefty specialist altogether, but I doubt that will happen.

This gives us even more depth in the bullpen, great signing. The absolute last thing we want is having our pen filled with a bunch of career minor leaguers or young players not ready for the show.

This is a crazy coincedence. I was talking to two of my co-workers who both played college ball (UConn and FSU) and one of them brought up Riedling. I believe he was talking about his days playing high school ball in So Fla and how good he was. BTW my friend that played at FSU took a seat when JD Drew came to the team, he became his backup.

There is going to be quite a competition in ST and some major-league releivers wont make it. As of now, we have Mota, Spooney, Fox(?), Alfonseca, Jones, Riedling, Bump, Howard, and hopefully a lefty(Hagerty?). Quite crowded.

There is going to be quite a competition in ST and some major-league releivers wont make it. As of now, we have Mota, Spooney, Fox(?), Alfonseca, Jones, Riedling, Bump, Howard, and hopefully a lefty(Hagerty?). Quite crowded.

641046[/snapback]

 

Fox isnt with us anymore.

Very good price. His family is here, so it makes sense. I am good friends with his cousin. He told me last summer when the rumors were floating around that he would love to be in Florida, and here he is.

This is a crazy coincedence. I was talking to two of my co-workers who both played college ball (UConn and FSU) and one of them brought up Riedling. I believe he was talking about his days playing high school ball in So Fla and how good he was. BTW my friend that played at FSU took a seat when JD Drew came to the team, he became his backup.

641044[/snapback]

 

Welcome to the boards!

This is a crazy coincedence. I was talking to two of my co-workers who both played college ball (UConn and FSU) and one of them brought up Riedling. I believe he was talking about his days playing high school ball in So Fla and how good he was. BTW my friend that played at FSU took a seat when JD Drew came to the team, he became his backup.

641044[/snapback]

 

Welcome to the boards!

641050[/snapback]

Welcome to the boards! I hope you enjoy partaking in our discussions about the Marlins. It's nice to see how you feel about certain things, and I'll look foward to seeing your thoughts! Hope to see you around more! And once again, welcome to the boards.

Pretty sweet deal for Riedling.

 

Gets a $100K raise after a so-so year.

 

Plus gets to move home.

Thank you for the nice words. I've been reading the boards for a while now and will begin posting with some frequency

Thank you for the nice words. I've been reading the boards for a while now and will begin posting with some frequency

641077[/snapback]

Welcome and enjoy.

 

 

 

I likethis signing, I seem to remember a stretch last year (And many mini stretches) where the bullpen was giving up the games late. And all you people were calling for Beinfest to improve the bullpen. Well hes done just that and more.

Thank you for the nice words. I've been reading the boards for a while now and will begin posting with some frequency

641077[/snapback]

Good. It would be a real shame if you would hold back from us your intresting comments on subjects. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, you're a real pleasure.

Thank you for the nice words. I've been reading the boards for a while now and will begin posting with some frequency

641077[/snapback]

Good. It would be a real shame if you would hold back from us your intresting comments on subjects. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, you're a real pleasure.

641087[/snapback]

 

Are you running for office or something??

 

Anyways, what's the word on Chad Bentz? I'm afraid he's the lefty we're all waiting for.

According to Rotoworld, the Marlins signed John Riedling to a one year, $750,000 deal today.

 

Like the Rotoworld thing says, this isn't surprising since they tried to trade for him last spring, but I do wonder why they keep adding righties to the 'pen. Also, giving Riedling $750k but refusing to give Perisho, who held lefties to a .207 BAA, a contract this size (which probably would have done it) is somewhat strange.

641011[/snapback]

 

Everytime they sign another righty it makes it harder and harder to imagine Bump and/or Howard with the Fish in 2005.

 

It's going to be an interesting spring training.

 

In another Rotoworld tidbit, Choi may be an odd man out now that it looks like Green remains with the Dodgers. He clearly isn't going to be starting, one has to wonder if the Fish have any interest in bringing back his lefty bat. At $350k and our lack of any power from the left side, Choi might be a reasonable pickup. He certainly was a fan favorite during his stay in the Majic City.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.