Conine not happy to be out of lineup

By Tom D'Angelo

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

MIAMI GARDENS ? Jeff Conine will participate in his 12th opening day today. But for just the third time, he will not be in the starting lineup.

Juan Encarnacion will start in right field and bat seventh. Encarnacion took advantage of Conine's absence early in spring to win the job.

"I felt I'm physically able to take the field. Obviously, I'm disappointed I'm not because that's what I want to do; I want to play,'' Conine said. "Juan had a great spring and he deserves to be out there. I'm ready. I feel I'm where I want to be.''

Both players were recovering from off-season shoulder surgery. Encarnacion entered further ahead than Conine and remained there. Encarnacion hit.290 (20-for-69) in 23 spring games with one home run and 12 RBI. Conine had just five hits (all singles) in 31 at bats, a.161 average.

Manager Jack McKeon informed Conine about his decision Monday. Conine played in 140 games last season.

"I told him he's going to be on the bench,'' McKeon said. "Knowing Jeff, he'll understand, he's a pro. He wants to win. We've got to go with the guys who are the most solid now.''

McKeon, though, expects to get Conine in the lineup soon.

"I hope to get him in a lot,'' he said. "Nothing is etched in stone. We're here to win. We're going to play the best lineup we have on each particular day.''

Conine, 38, would not speculate about how McKeon will handle the situation in the future.

"All I can do is be prepared when he calls on me,'' Conine said.

Samson said season tickets are slightly down from a year ago but season-ticket revenue and single-game tickets are up.

- Palm Beach Post

Steve took it real well. Saying Enc deserves it. Classy.

I want you in that lineup Steve and hopefully you are in it soon.

729089[/snapback]

Coincidentally, that's the name of my left testicle.

PS--Feel free to moderate--I'm a lilk tipsy :)

Dude, shut up and take it like a man. You are becoming a pain the backside, Niner..

Take a seat on the bench, grandpa.

729086[/snapback]

"I felt I'm physically able to take the field. Obviously, I'm disappointed I'm not because that's what I want to do; I want to play,'' Conine said. "Juan had a great spring and he deserves to be out there. I'm ready. I feel I'm where I want to be.''

Yea, way to not take it like a man. Give me a break lefty. Actually read the thing before you make a STUPID comment.

My personal opinion here is that Conine should be out there opening day. Then go ahead and play Enc the rest of the series or whatever, and if he continues to outperform Conine, leave Enc in. No problem. But Conine is Mr. Marlin, and as fun as it is to yell 4-3-2-Juan, I'm sure 99% of the fans would rather see Conine out there. Opening Day is special and unique, and even if you plan to play Enc more, you plan to play Conine enough to justify giving him the Opening Day start.

Oh well...

Dude, shut up and take it like a man. You are becoming a pain the backside, Niner..

Take a seat on the bench, grandpa.

729086[/snapback]

Yea, way to not take it like a man. Give me a break lefty. Actually read the thing before you make a STUPID comment.

729116[/snapback]

Listen here, feller--my comment was laced and sinnewed with sarcasm. Actually read my last line before you make a STOOPID comment :)

Optimistic (for months herein) about Enc's '05 performance, Conine's comments were consummate PRO. Hell yes he wants to be in there. But, he acknowledges that Enc earned todays Opening start.

"Steve" will make his contribution. It's a long season and he is very valuable on and off the field.

Niner plays LF, RF, and though Easley is good at 1B, Conine is our best bench 1B.

Optimistic (for months herein) about Enc's '05 performance,? Conine's comments were consummate PRO.? Hell yes he wants to be in there.? But, he acknowledges that Enc earned todays Opening start.

"Steve" will make his contribution.? It's a long season and he is very valuable on and off the field.

Niner plays LF, RF, and though Easley is good at 1B, Conine is our best bench 1B.

729157[/snapback]

He must have known this was going to happen. The Marlins will probably try to trade Encarnacion, and they want his stock to rise...They are hoping that since he's in a contract year, he'll play great ball, and then they can package him (or solo) to make a midseason trade. That's my thoughts, at least.

Optimistic (for months herein) about Enc's '05 performance, Conine's comments were consummate PRO. Hell yes he wants to be in there. But, he acknowledges that Enc earned todays Opening start.

"Steve" will make his contribution. It's a long season and he is very valuable on and off the field.

729157[/snapback]

He must have known this was going to happen. The Marlins will probably try to trade Encarnacion, and they want his stock to rise...They are hoping that since he's in a contract year, he'll play great ball, and then they can package him (or solo) to make a midseason trade. That's my thoughts, at least.

729176[/snapback]

let's be honest here... if Enc is playing great ball come the trade deadline, there would be no reason to move him, because it probably means we are doing some serious damage in the NL East

also, Niner should be starting today, but its no biggie... He'll get his ovation later in the game

Jeff,

You're the better player. The other guy had a OMGNUNEZ spring trainign while you were out with injury. Just wait for him to show he's still one of the worest corner outfielders and bind your time getting key hits off the bench. Oh, and if you could hide Lenny Harris in a locker, please do so.

Thanks,

Marlins fans