name change

:p I read an article about the stadium issue and in the article they mentioned the league ok'd the name change to Miami Marlins. When would this take place? Is this why they don't wear the road unis with Florida on them? Any ideas what the new hat would look like? Just wondering.

I'm guessing that the players prefer to wear the black jersey tops over the all gray, because they look more "hip." And I have to agree.

777879[/snapback]

Whoever is the starting pitcher for the game decides which top to wear. I guess most of our starting pitchers prefer the black top. I also agree.

I'm guessing that the players prefer to wear the black jersey tops over the all gray, because they look more "hip." And I have to agree.

777879[/snapback]

Whoever is the starting pitcher for the game decides which top to wear. I guess most of our starting pitchers prefer the black top. I also agree.

777882[/snapback]

Really? I never knew that.

777883[/snapback]

Yep, its true.

Yeah i have to agree, change the name to Miami Marlins ASAP....Over here in northern Florida, Jacksonville to be exact/ They dont show any florida marlins highlights on the local news programs, no scores, news , nothing !...BUt of course, they show Atlanta Braves highlights... :thumbdown

Guest Moneyball

I am pro changing the name to the "Miami" Marlins...this is NOT Florida's team, it is South Florida's team and the biggest Metro area is Miami.

777914[/snapback]

MarlinFan agrees with this statement.

777879[/snapback]

777882[/snapback]

Also, if we suffer a bad loss the night before, more often than not we'll come out the next day with a different uniform.

I live in Palm Beach County and don't mind the change to Miami Marlins.....as long as they can stay in South Florida.

777963[/snapback]

Even though Miami Marlins sounds horrible, if that's what it's going to take to keep the team in South Florida for decades to come, GITRDUN.

I'm guessing that the players prefer to wear the black jersey tops over the all gray, because they look more "hip."? And I have to agree.

777879[/snapback]

777882[/snapback]

Wow....

They say "You learn something new everyday" and I didn't learn anything in school today and I thought I was going to go the whole day without adding anything to my knowledge but you changed that.

Thanks for the info!

Con.

There are a lot of fans that adopted the Marlins as their team since it was FL's first baseball team. It may help merchandise sales in the short run, but changing the name would be a big disadvantage in the long run, IMO. Especially once the DRay's current management partner shifts his responsibility to another partner. The other guy won't be as cheap and, with their young talent, may build a team as good or better than the Marlins. That could steal a lot of northern and central FL Marlin fans to take the DRays as their new favorite team. It wouldn't surprise me if the Drays completely changed their name and called them the Florida (insert new nickname here) to win over that vacated market and change the perception of the DRays.

I don't like it, why is it most teams have names of states, we will be one of the lonesome teams with a city, very odd, but it's alright aslong as they stay here, so I approve.

778112[/snapback]

it wasn't always like that, most of the teams with state names (marlins, rockies, d-backs, rangers) are expansion teams who, as a result of their more marketing-savvy era, are trying to appeal to the largest fan base possible. same thing in the NFL (carolina panthers, or the cardinals switching from phoenix to arizona). i personally think of it as a fairly transparent marketing ploy and would rather them just be the miami marlins.

I don't like it, why is it most teams have names of states, we will be one of the lonesome teams with a city, very odd, but it's alright aslong as they stay here, so I approve.

778112[/snapback]

"Most Teams" have state names? I'm confused. Out of 32 NFL teams only four have "regionalized" names (Arizona Cardinals, Tennessee Titans, Carolina Panthers, Minnesota Vikings). Out of 30 NBA teams only four have regional names (Golden State Warriors, New Jersey Nets, Minnesota Timberwolves, Indiana Pacers). Out of 30 NHL teams only five have regional names (Florida Panthers, New Jersey Devils, Colorado Avalanche, Minnesota Wild, Carolina Hurricanes). And finally, MLB only has four regional team names (Florida Marlins, Texas Rangers, Minnesota Twins, Colorado Rockies).

I just don't understand your reasoning that "we will be one of the lonesome teams with a city". Perhaps my sarcasm meter is turned off. But if you were serious, what I wrote above disproves your point.

As for my opinion, the team should have been the Miami Marlins from the beginning. That was the historical name for baseball teams in this area for over fifty years. The "Florida" name, in my opinion, was just Huizenga's plot to not have anything named "Miami" in any of his teams because he really doesn't like Miami (being that he's a "Broward Guy").