AJ wants to stay

strandedx02

Not that it really makes a difference in terms of the proposed trade, but I found a quote from AJ after tonight's game pretty interesting:

PHOENIX (AP) -- A.J. Burnett showed loyalty to his team. He hopes the Florida Marlins will reciprocate.

The focus of trade talk, Burnett won for the first time in four starts and Miguel Cabrera homered twice, leading Florida over the Diamondbacks 6-3 Tuesday night for only the Marlins' second win in nine games.

"Hopefully I can stay around here and watch this team play, because, like I said, this is a great group of guys, and they can play behind me any day," Burnett said. "So if I was to go, there'd be a lot of friendships that'd be missed."

full article

If he truly wants to stay, he should march right into Beinfest's office, have them conference call with Loria, and get an extension in the works. Although, if he does stay, that sets up a sick rotation next season: Willis, Beckett, Olsen, Burnett, and Vargas.

AJ wants to stay in Florida so he isn't obligated to sign where he's traded. He wants to be a free agent to get 12 zillion a year from the Yankees or Red Sox.

866629[/snapback]

AJ isn't obligated to do anything, and this could be a major factor as to how good of a deal the Marlins can get for him. More than likely AJ will end up being traded as a rent-a-player at the trading deadline.

If the Marlins offered him equal money as other teams, sure he might stay. But that's not happening. So I'm not holding my breath.

I've maintained though that it's not in his interest to sign an extension with a team right now anyway, unless he's blown away by an offer. He wants to get the whole red-carpet national tour that Carl Pavano got. Plus after the season there'll probably be even more suitors.

yeah this is 2005, not 1905. Players have little loyality left in them. If he really wanted to stay put he would negotiate an extension right now (as someone already said).

866651[/snapback]

That's why Luis Castillo is so great. He's one of the best at his position in baseball but he took less money to stay in Florida. :D

Perfect Example:

Edgar Renteria. 6 years as a St. Louis Cardinal. Went to numberous postseasons and a World Series with them. Was loved in the clubhouse and loved everyone in the clubhouse. Was on of Tony's favorite players. Left to boston for $1 million more a year. Thats all it took to break a 6 year relationship with one of the most winningest baseball teams in history, a manager that loved him, players that loved him, and possibly one of the best cities to play in (he would have never gotten boo'd in STL).

That shows you something about loyalty vs. greed in sports today. I think its worse in baseball than it is in any other sport.

it's amazing some of the blind hatred for AJ

whatever he says, some of you can spin it like no other

866663[/snapback]

I don't think its "blind hatred". Our attitudes are products of player's actions. So we are just assuming that AJ will ask for a nice chunk of change come fall.

If we do have any hatred its not directed towards Burnett, but the emergence of greed in the past 20 years that is reaching epic proportions. And we don't think AJ, or any other player for that matter, is immune to it.

what is the point of loyalty?

what has the team really done for A.J. that he should sign with them for less than he can get to go to a big market team where the fans actually care and where the team wins every year?

if you were in his shoes and you think you wouldn't at least test the market then you are either stupid or you're kidding yourself.

it's amazing some of the blind hatred for AJ

whatever he says, some of you can spin it like no other

866663[/snapback]

This is from right before this season started...

Burnett banking on having big year

By Joe Capozzi

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

FORT LAUDERDALE ? The Marlins open their season a week from today. But on Monday, pitcher A.J. Burnett allowed his thoughts to drift to next season, to the idea of pitching in Yankees pinstripes.

That's what happens when your best friend is a Yankee and calls your cellphone at least once a week, as Carl Pavano has done with Burnett this spring.

Spring Training 2005

Their conversation topics? "Fishing. Pitching. How he thinks I'm going to be a Yankee,'' Burnett said Monday after allowing two earned runs in six innings against the Baltimore Orioles.

"He wants me to be a Yankee. I wouldn't mind pitching with Carl. We play good together. We feed off each other. We just talk about that. He said nobody can fish over there the way we can. He misses the competition on the lake. He said everybody has got a Bentley or Ferrari.''

As Burnett embarks on the start of his final year before he is eligible for free agency, he clearly has the Pavano blueprint in mind. Last year, Pavano went 18-8 for the Marlins before cashing in on his first year of free-agency eligibility by signing a four-year, $40 million deal with the Yankees.

Burnett, 28, is looking for his first injury-free season. He will be Florida's No. 3 starter. He knows he has much to prove.

"It's time to put it all together and win 20 games.'' he said. "Hopefully the health is there. It's a good year to do it.''

Why? "Because I haven't had a full year yet. That's the only reason. It has nothing to do with free agency. I swear,'' he said, offering a wink and a smile.

"If I was gonna pick a healthy year and have a full season this would be the one to do it. This is (year) number six. This is the one where it counts. They all count, but this one more than others.''

Enter Pavano, whose 2004 season is very much on Burnett's radar.

"I want to outdo him. I want to win 20,'' Burnett said. "That's the thing Josh (Beckett) and I have. We have competition. If he goes out and throws a five-hit shutout, I want to throw a four-hit shutout. I think that's how it should be. It's not that I'm trying to be better than him or he's trying to be better than me. It's friendly competition and it make us all better.''

This spring, Beckett is wining the competition, posting an 0.87 ERA to win the honor of starting Florida's season opener next Tuesday at Dolphins Stadium.

Burnett wanted that assignment, but he has a 4.85 ERA this spring.

"Certainly Josh has pitched pretty good,'' manager Jack McKeon said "I'd like to see them both be in competition and both do the same. That would be nice. But what's in (Burnett's) head, I have no idea.''

Burnett insists he feels no pressure this year to match what Pavano did last year. "I think it's a big opportunity,'' he said. "I have to take it that way and not look at it as pressure.''

Burnett threw a no-hitter in 2001 and won 12 games in 2002. He underwent Tommy John surgery in April 2003 and went 7-6 in 2004 after starting the season in June.

The worst part of his 2003 was watching from the dugout, his surgically repaired elbow in a sling, as his teammates won the World Series.

"I want a full healthy year and I want to go to the playoffs and be active,'' he said. "I want my piece of the cake. I didn't have that. I watched them do it. This team, I think, is better than the one they had in '03. I really do."

Burnett said his World Series ring is "in the house somewhere with the box they gave it to me. I thought about trading it in to get a house. I didn't pitch. I felt like I wasn't part of it.''

The Marlins dangled Burnett as trade bait during the winter meetings. The Yankees were among the teams interested.

But what if the Marlins offered him a multiyear deal? Would he be open to staying in South Florida?

"I don't want to answer that question,'' he said. "I'll get in trouble.''

But he answers anyway.

"If I'm healthy and I make it through the whole season, then I'd like to see what's out there'' he said. "But I'm not opposed to staying here, either. My house is here. (Son) A.J. is in school now and I like it down here. Maybe in 10 years, we'll get a stadium.''

yeah this is 2005, not 1905. Players have little loyality left in them. If he really wanted to stay put he would negotiate an extension right now (as someone already said).

866651[/snapback]

I thought that we don't negotiate extensions during the season?

866740[/snapback]

you thought correct

Guys, take it for what it's worth, but this may be less than simply pandering on the part of AJ. This is a guy who never, ever, had anything complementary to say about his teammates, or the team's fans. I know from what I've read that Loria and Beinfest loved AJ, but they were hesitant to invest because he showed no maturity in pitching and everyday life. Perhaps this is the start of a series of events that gives the Marlins hope to at least be in the running for AJ, and if that's the case, I think we'd be fools not to hang on to him for the rest of the year, because the market for him obviously is not where we'd expect it to be...

what's he gonna say? "get me out of here....i hate this organization and all my teammates"? please. maybe he would like to stay here, but if he signs an extension with Baltimore, what does that tell you about where his priorities are?

866761[/snapback]

Perhaps you remember his "maybe next time we should wear helmets and shoulder pads, then maybe some fans'll show up" comment. The guy has no idea how to be politically correct, so take whatever he says a little more seriously than Derek Jeter's "just take it one game at a time...stay within myself" predictable quotes...

866651[/snapback]

That's why Luis Castillo is so great. He's one of the best at his position in baseball but he took less money to stay in Florida. :D

866652[/snapback]

So did mikey, the yanx wanted hgim when the 03' offseason started... but he came back here, remember this line? "I love this team, the moneys a perk"

THATS why you dont trade mikey Lowell

i'm sure he wants to stay so bad that he wants to "test the market" and "have fun like pavano did" and pavano sure as hell didn't sign back with the marlins. and pudge wanted to come back to but we wouldn't do 4 years 40 million. and burnett will want to much money also. supposevely 8-10 million for a #3 starter? doubt it happens