Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlin's Rivals?

Featured Replies

I was looking up the marlins page on Wikipedia and came across this:

 

Main Rivals: Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Braves, Chicago Cubs, Colorado Rockies, Philadelphia Phillies, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, New York Mets

 

So I could understand all those except for The Dbacks and Rockies. Maybe the rocks because of the fact that they were both expansion teams coming in but I never exactly picked up on a rivalry vibe. So I figured, I ask you guys are the two teams mentioned actually rivals with the marlins or just a bad writing job from the author?

I was looking up the marlins page on Wikipedia and came across this:

 

Main Rivals: Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Braves, Chicago Cubs, Colorado Rockies, Philadelphia Phillies, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, New York Mets

 

So I could understand all those except for The Dbacks and Rockies. Maybe the rocks because of the fact that they were both expansion teams coming in but I never exactly picked up on a rivalry vibe. So I figured, I ask you guys are the two teams mentioned actually rivals with the marlins or just a bad writing job from the author?

872851[/snapback]

 

I feel our biggest rivals are:

- Everyone the NL East

- Cubs (bad blood due to NLCS)

 

that's all

I was looking up the marlins page on Wikipedia and came across this:

 

Main Rivals: Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Braves, Chicago Cubs, Colorado Rockies, Philadelphia Phillies, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, New York Mets

 

So I could understand all those except for The Dbacks and Rockies. Maybe the rocks because of the fact that they were both expansion teams coming in but I never exactly picked up on a rivalry vibe. So I figured, I ask you guys are the two teams mentioned actually rivals with the marlins or just a bad writing job from the author?

872851[/snapback]

 

I feel our biggest rivals are:

- Everyone the NL East

- Cubs (bad blood due to NLCS)

 

that's all

872854[/snapback]

 

That seems like way too many having everyone in your division. Even though we hate all the other NL East teams, the Mets only have two main rivals according to Wikipedia (the Yankees and the Braves).

 

Teams like the Mets have more of a history and more well-defined rivals, but I think all the rivals listed for the marlins is sort of ridiculous.

The Marlins don't have any real heated rivalaries. The NL east, Cubs, and D-Rays can be rivals, but they're nothing compared to other rivalaries in baseball.

Some baseball game i have lists the marlins rivals as the cubs, the devil rays, and the braves. that sounds pretty good to me

Some baseball game i have lists the marlins rivals as the cubs, the devil rays, and the braves. that sounds pretty good to me

872895[/snapback]

 

Yeah, that's what it says in MVP. I'd probably put the Phils ahead of either the Cubs or D-Rays but that's just me. Seems like there's a lot of bad blood between us after 2003, the benches clearing at the beginning of last year, etc.

Some baseball game i have lists the marlins rivals as the cubs, the devil rays, and the braves. that sounds pretty good to me

872895[/snapback]

 

Yeah, that's what it says in MVP. I'd probably put the Phils ahead of either the Cubs or D-Rays but that's just me. Seems like there's a lot of bad blood between us after 2003, the benches clearing at the beginning of last year, etc.

872938[/snapback]

Yeah, but before 2003 you could say that the Phillies ranked 4th out of our division rivals. Braves and Mets for the territorial or transient ties. Expos for the off-field issues and similar scrappy persona.

Braves and Phils.

 

I don't know why people keep listing the Cubs. Besides playing them once in the playoffs, we've never really had to deal with them. The DRays are bigger rivals to me than the Cubs.

I think the Mets are rivals because of all those f*cking New Yorkers that come down here and think they run Miami...

 

 

F**K New York!

 

 

My God, I remember the old Heat-Knicks rivalries, that right there was classic...

I think the Mets are rivals because of all those f*cking New Yorkers that come down here and think they run Miami...

 

 

F**K New York!

 

 

 

 

It's an unfortunate fact that there was nothing south of Georgia until us ()*&^(&%)*& New Yorkers bought it and developed it. Let go of your anger, it will set you free.

 

Enrich your life ! Befriend a New Yorker !!

 

By the way, we do run Miami.

I think the Mets are rivals because of all those f*cking New Yorkers that come down here and think they run Miami...

 

 

F**K New York!

 

 

 

 

It's an unfortunate fact that there was nothing south of Georgia until us ()*&^(&%)*& New Yorkers bought it and developed it. Let go of your anger, it will set you free.

 

Enrich your life ! Befriend a New Yorker !!

 

By the way, we do run Miami.

873804[/snapback]

 

lol the new yorkers keep telling themselves that. you know what i look forward to each morning while im taking my before work shower? listening to joe rose and the dumb SOB new york fans calling up crying about south florida. pure enjoyment. thats why i welcome them to Florida ;)

 

and i agree. the Braves and the Mets are main rivalies of ours.

lol the new yorkers keep telling themselves that.? you know what i look forward to each morning while im taking my before work shower?? listening to joe rose and the dumb SOB new york fans calling up crying about south florida.? pure enjoyment.? thats why i welcome them to Florida ;)

 

and i agree.? the Braves and the Mets are main rivalies of ours.

873813[/snapback]

I also live in South Florida but I despise talkradio, so I never listen; nor did I when I lived "up north".

 

My small family of three is only here until all the grandparents have ...... ummmm ..... expired. Then it's back to New York. Been here ten years and I miss winter.

I don't know why people list the Cubs either, unless you count the one playoff series as starting a rivalry... and I just don't think it works that way.

 

We don't really have a great rivalry built up yet, still too early. For instance right now I'd say our strongest are the Braves, Phils, & Mets...

 

but I doubt any of them consider us their top rivals.

To me it has always been the Braves and Mets.

 

In the early years, the Rockies were considered somewhat of a rival, because we were expansion brothers. The fact that they got better quicker than us didn't sit well back then (until 1997 of course). If one can remember at the time in the beginning 1992-93, the Marlins were viewed nationally as the richer team (cuz of Mr. Moneybags) over the Rockies. Of course after the first 2 years that misconception went away.

 

Because they were the only team in the South for decades, and thus had many fans down here, and in the early 90's their dynasty was beginning, the Braves automatically became a major rival in my opinion. Those games have always brought out the fans. It wouldn't surprise me that of all the home games that the Marlins have played in their history, that the Braves have drawn more fans (total and average per game) than any other team - except the 9 or so times the Yankees were down here (average, not total).

 

I can remember back in the early 80's when 610 WIOD used to broadcast Yankee, Met, Orioles and Red Sox games every night (I forgot what station used to broadcast the Braves games - maybe somebody can help me there, I think it was 710 WNWS) in addition to selected New York NHL and NBA games back then.

 

The Mets, well, the New York/Northeast factor. Nuff said. There is a reason (and not because we're both on the east coast) that South Florida expansion teams were placed in the same division as the New York team when they started. Actually the Heat played in the Midwest? division their first year before going to the Atlantic. The same when UM joined the Big East Conference in college sports. Over the past 4 or so years, with leagues acknowledging travel costs, etc. divisions have been set up on a regional basis rather than the old way (and UM switching conferences). Thank God the NFL left the AFC East alone for the most part. You have to admit that current division "rivals" in South Florida's winter sports teams leave a lot to be desired in the interest level compared to the old "rivals"

 

The Phillies. Even with many people from Pennsylvania down here, Philly teams - other than Flyers vs. Panthers early - haven't riased the ire of South Florida fans, it's been more of a Pittsburgh thing (Fish-Steelers). The Phillies games haven't meant much, but since the results of the 2003 season, this is now getting up there on par with the Mets and the ATL.

 

The Expos/Nationals. Never have been a rival.

 

The Cubs have never been a rival in my opinion, before or after the 2003 NLCS. If that was the case, why aren't the Giants viewed as rivals seeing as we dispatched them twice in the NLDS.

 

The Devil Rays? Just because they are in the same state doesn't mean anything. If this was college football yes, but unless any other pro sports team in Florida is in the same division as one of the South Florida teams, I don't see the typical South Florida sports fan getting worked up over them. Now, if the Devil Rays were in the NL East (ala Dodgers-Giants), then we could talk.

 

I can't stand the Braves (since 1991) but as someone who grew up rooting for the Mets and has pulled for the Marlins since their inception, and wish that both the Marlins and Mets to do well, I feel no anymosity towards the Mets (answer to the question before it is asked - when they play each other, I root for the Marlins)

 

My very long .02

Cmon... you guys know you never get as riled up as when a "Let's Go Mets" chant starts up down in the stadium...

Some baseball game i have lists the marlins rivals as the cubs, the devil rays, and the braves. that sounds pretty good to me

872895[/snapback]

 

Yeah, that's what it says in MVP. I'd probably put the Phils ahead of either the Cubs or D-Rays but that's just me. Seems like there's a lot of bad blood between us after 2003, the benches clearing at the beginning of last year, etc.

872938[/snapback]

Yeah, but before 2003 you could say that the Phillies ranked 4th out of our division rivals. Braves and Mets for the territorial or transient ties. Expos for the off-field issues and similar scrappy persona.873272[/snapback]

 

Reminds me of a post I made awhile back.

 

It is either what happened in ST last year or a huge coincidence but the Montreal Expos team is trying to hurt our franchise player (Mike Lowell). Is it because Loria owned the Expos and abandoned them? Is it because of what happened last year in ST? Are the Expos jealous that the Marlins won the World Series? I bet they hurt Mike Lowell last year on purpose. This might be the future of rivalries! Forget the Yankees-Red Sox 20 years from now it will be the Marlins-Expos rivalry. The Marlins the new dynasty in sports with 12 championships in 30 years and the Expos of Orlando with only 2 championships. The Marlins in their state-of-the-art 1 billion dollar 45,000 capacity retractable roof stadium in one the most beautiful citys in the world Marlin City (formerly Hialeah) while the Expos play in the ageing Cracker Jack Stadium in Orlando. All around the ruins of Disney World and other attractions. Orlando has become the Philadelphia of the south. The Marlins by then have become the toast of the town. The Dolphins went out of business in the great Huzienga fire sale of 2012. The Marlins-Expos rivalry continues......... :lol

291180[/snapback]

 

:lol :lol :lol

 

But yeah the Expos are a rival.

 

Don't forget the incident in which Frank Robinson called Samson a midget.

 

Oh and the fact that Loria abandoned Montreal for us.

 

Marlins rivals:

 

1) Braves

2) Phillies

3) Expos

4) Mets

 

There is no Tampa Bay-Marlins rivalry. I do think there is a Cub rivalry but not as big as people think.

By the way, we do run Miami.

:lol !!!!!

 

And I think our on the field rivals rank Phillies, Braves, Mets, Expos/Nationals. As far as rivalries between fans, I'd say Mets, Cubs, Braves, and Phillies.

 

I would agree with the list presented in the original post though, save the Rocks and the DBacks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.