Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Miggy, our new shortstop

Featured Replies

If Gonzo is going to be out for any extended period of time, and from I heard from DVH last night, it could be a few more games before we see him return, perhaps Friday at the earliest, and I know this will be laughable to some, why not play Cabrera at short and either play Conine (2 for 2 last) or give Aguila a chance in left field?

 

I know the conventional wisdom is he is too physically too big to play SS anymore but he can't be worse than Easley who right now has zero range and double-clutches every throw he makes. And I mean every throw. At one point they had Easley playng two steps into the outfield to try and broaden hs range and even that didn't help. Maybe he's hurt too, but it was awful last night.

 

Might be fun for Miggy to return to his ancestral "home" and add another productive bat to the lineup at the same time.

 

Just a thought.

I think Miggy would be a defensive liability there because of the possible lack of range, but you never know, but what happens when he adjusts to it and then has to return back to LF when A. Gonz returns? Miggy needs to stay where he's at until the time comes to move him permanently to 3B.

I think unless he has been taking reps there consistently (doubtful) he'd make a fool of himself out there. But you never know. He's done plenty of things nobody thought he could do.

I rather pull up Wilson or Andineo and see what we have to deal with next year. I mean really and honestly, Easily is not the answer there. He was terrible last night from what I could see at the game. For those at home did he look any better on TV?

  • Author

I think Miggy would be a defensive liability there because of the possible lack of range, but you never know, but what happens when he adjusts to it and then has to return back to LF when A. Gonz returns? Miggy needs to stay where he's at until the time comes to move him permanently to 3B.

876236[/snapback]

 

You do know that Miggy played SS throughout his entire career (from the time he was a kid) until he was moved in late 2002?

 

The problem is the only other "infielder" we have besides Easley is Lenny Harris (and no I don't need the "dump Lenny" contingent to chime in here) and yes I realize Cabrera's range may not be optimum, but it would be fun to see and might give the team a lift.

 

Lastly, yes, I'm only talking about for a few days.

I think its a silly idea, ya it was used for what 2 innings in the NLCS, big deal. Keep Miguel in LF where he belongs for the time being. Shortstop is one of the most difficult positions on the field, and like Sham said, unless he has been taking reps there (I very much doubt it) Keep him as far away from there as possible. This is tantamount to grasping for straws.

I rather pull up Wilson or Andineo and see what we have to deal with next year. I mean really and honestly, Easily is not the answer there. He was terrible last night from what I could see at the game. For those at home did he look any better on TV?

876246[/snapback]

 

That's a good idea since we may be losing Alex after this season. At least they will know whether to pursue someone at that position or not.

 

As for the question on Easily looking good, I don't think that Pax or FSN carries the same special effects equipment as MGM or Universal Studios to make Easily's defense last night look good in any way.

 

:blink:

  • Author

I rather pull up Wilson or Andineo and see what we have to deal with next year. I mean really and honestly, Easily is not the answer there. He was terrible last night from what I could see at the game. For those at home did he look any better on TV?

876246[/snapback]

 

 

Tv adds ten pounds. j/k

 

The problem is if you bring someone up, you either have to clear a roster spot for them so someone has to go down. You don't want to DL Gonzo at this point, it doesn't look like he'll be out that long.

If you did DL him and pushed it back towards the last time he played 6 days ago then he would be on the D for 9 days only.

 

Otherwise could send Aguila down for one of the two. What is he doing on the bench anyways besides warming a seat?

I think Miggy would be a defensive liability there because of the possible lack of range, but you never know, but what happens when he adjusts to it and then has to return back to LF when A. Gonz returns? Miggy needs to stay where he's at until the time comes to move him permanently to 3B.

876236[/snapback]

 

You do know that Miggy played SS throughout his entire career (from the time he was a kid) until he was moved in late 2002?

 

The problem is the only other "infielder" we have besides Easley is Lenny Harris (and no I don't need the "dump Lenny" contingent to chime in here) and yes I realize Cabrera's range may not be optimum, but it would be fun to see and might give the team a lift.

 

Lastly, yes, I'm only talking about for a few days.

876248[/snapback]

Willigham played SS too. :whistle

I think it would be fun to see Cabs at short for a couple of games.

Would certainly resolve many questions.

Give him a couple of solid sessions with Perry...

and then let Perry make the final decision.

I think its a silly idea, ya it was used for what 2 innings in the NLCS, big deal. Keep Miguel in LF where he belongs for the time being. Shortstop is one of the most difficult positions on the field, and like Sham said, unless he has been taking reps there (I very much doubt it) Keep him as far away from there as possible. This is tantamount to grasping for straws.

876249[/snapback]

 

the fact is he doesnt belong in LF either. he belongs at 3rd. i think we stick it out with damion a bit until alex is rested. he should be back in the next day or 2

If we feel Easley is too much of a liability at SS, then I would rather see us bring up a guy like Andino to try him out for a few games.

If we feel Easley is too much of a liability at SS, then I would rather see us bring up a guy like Andino to try him out for a few games.

876270[/snapback]

I'm anxious to see Andino. I think he may well be our '06 shortstop.

But, unless Gonzo goes on the DL, I don't want to bring a top prospect up for one or two games and send a current rostered back down for that period.

It's not fair to these young guys.

I'll wait 'til September for Andino (unless Gonzo goes DL.)

Meanwhile, Easley is fine if Alex is only a couple of games away.

 

(And, as said above, Cabs at short is okay with me IF it's okay with Perry Hill.)

  • Author

I think Miggy would be a defensive liability there because of the possible lack of range, but you never know, but what happens when he adjusts to it and then has to return back to LF when A. Gonz returns? Miggy needs to stay where he's at until the time comes to move him permanently to 3B.

876236[/snapback]

 

You do know that Miggy played SS throughout his entire career (from the time he was a kid) until he was moved in late 2002?

 

The problem is the only other "infielder" we have besides Easley is Lenny Harris (and no I don't need the "dump Lenny" contingent to chime in here) and yes I realize Cabrera's range may not be optimum, but it would be fun to see and might give the team a lift.

 

Lastly, yes, I'm only talking about for a few days.

876248[/snapback]

Willigham played SS too. :whistle

876257[/snapback]

 

Mr dear friend Mr. Shamster, as much as your input and ideas are always welcome don't you think it would be a tad difficult for Willy to play SSwith a cast on his arm? Perhaps you can provide us with some stats regarding the defensive prowess of one armed shortstops. I'm sure (lol) you have them somewhere.

 

I know Pete Gray played with one arm, but he was an outfielder :brigginbounce

 

(small note to everyone here, if you don't know about Pete Gray and you have time to kill there's several fascnating stories about the guy on the web. Here's one, there are many more: http://www.historicbaseball.com/players/g/gray_pete.html )

while I wouldnt try it...just wanted to point out that Cabrera does still take practice at both 3B and and SS every so often...I clearly remember Rich and Tommy pointing that out a couple months back when Cabrera played a game or two at third when Mikey's struggles were scraping rock bottom...

  • Author

I think its a silly idea, ya it was used for what 2 innings in the NLCS, big deal. Keep Miguel in LF where he belongs for the time being. Shortstop is one of the most difficult positions on the field, and like Sham said, unless he has been taking reps there (I very much doubt it) Keep him as far away from there as possible. This is tantamount to grasping for straws.

876249[/snapback]

 

Geez Das, of course it's a silly idea but it beats talking about phantom Red Sox trades with the Beantown obsessed. :D

I know he was a SS before being moved to 3rd when they thought they were going to get rid of Lowell, but I don't think seeing him play there is such a great idea anymore. Yes, he takes balls at 3rd several times a week (and is still more comfortable there than any other spot right now,) but short is a whole other story. He is a lot bigger than he ever was playing short, and kind of lumbers as he runs after balls. The lack of range really doesn't bother me as much as the possibility of him getting injured trying to range after everything. Lose him on an experiment like this and it really blows any chances the team may have of making a run.

 

But, that's just my opinion.

Didn't Miggy play SS in the 2003 NLCS for a couple of innings? I can't remember precisely when it was.

876352[/snapback]

I believe it was for one inning.

 

It was after a bunch of pinch hitters and substitutions in the top half of the inning.

I bet Dontrelle could probably play shortstop better than Easley looked last night.

876353[/snapback]

hmmm...left handed shortstop.

 

That would make things interesting.

I bet Dontrelle could probably play shortstop better than Easley looked last night.

876353[/snapback]

hmmm...left handed shortstop.

 

That would make things interesting.

876381[/snapback]

Who said anything about left-handed. Just give him Gonzo's glove and he'll play right-handed.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.