August 9, 200521 yr To lead off the show they had a long conversation with Bud Selig and one particular statement of his struck me. Since there is obviously a long lead time between when a player tests positive for steroids and when the suspension is announced, Wilbon asked Selig if there were any positive tests out right now where the player has not been suspended. To this Selig said, "There is one questionable test out right now on a very young player." Speculation, guys?
August 9, 200521 yr Way to open a can of worms. It's probably JD Drew. 896186[/snapback] Last time I checked JD Drew wasn't a very young player. It's probably a minor leaguer. He did say nothing big or earth-shattering.
August 9, 200521 yr After the shitstorm with Kenny Rogers and the possible lawsuit from Palmeiro, Selig wouldn't let anything like that slip. The last thing he needs is the player's association down his throat again. Not saying he's lying, but not saying he's definitely telling the truth either.
August 10, 200521 yr RoRod had been rentioning to me over the weekend that he couldnt belive how 'big' miggy was.. not tall.. but big... still hopeingits nothing...
August 10, 200521 yr As much s*** as Bud takes, he handled himself very well in this interview and I like his hardline stance on a lot of issues.
August 10, 200521 yr Bud has gained alot of respect from me recently. The all star tie was def the low point, but the World Cup, his insistence of the toughening of steroids, beating the player's union big time in the last labor deals (plus avoiding the strike everyone thought was coming), and more recently the whole youth thing. Though he has made his fair share of mistakes, he's improved by leaps and bounds over the past few seasons.
August 10, 200521 yr Well, I don't like the All Star/Home Field thing either. But it's better than rotating home field. And I do like the unbalanced schedule, personally.
August 10, 200521 yr Well, I don't like the All Star/Home Field thing either. But it's better than rotating home field. And I do like the unbalanced schedule, personally. 896820[/snapback] Why don't they just look to see which team had the best regular season record to determine who gets homefield advantage?
August 10, 200521 yr Yeah, why don't we? But since we can only judge the current system by the past, it's much better than what we had before. Is it the final step towards the solution of homefield? No. However, it's a nice transition stage.
August 10, 200521 yr Well, I don't like the All Star/Home Field thing either. But it's better than rotating home field. And I do like the unbalanced schedule, personally. 896820[/snapback] Why don't they just look to see which team had the best regular season record to determine who gets homefield advantage? 896831[/snapback] I wish it would go to the league with the best record in interleague play. If it is a tie, have the winner of the all star game be the tie breaker.
August 10, 200521 yr unbalanced schedule is not debatable if there isnt a wild card...with the wild card I still like it, but I can understand people who dont
August 10, 200521 yr According to Todd Jones blog on the PBP, some Marlins players had their tests a week and a half ago. :plain
August 10, 200521 yr Anyone here anything else on this rumor? So Selig said it was a "younger player" and that we should be the judge if he is a bigger name? So younger player means he's probably in his 20s or, at most, very early 30s. He's also very very good... that makes the list very long.
August 10, 200521 yr Also, I listened to Mike and Mike in the morning and they seemed to say that it was a "blockbuster" name. I don't think anyone on the Marlins has a blockbuster name right now.
August 10, 200521 yr Author Anyone here anything else on this rumor? So Selig said it was a "younger player" and that we should be the judge if he is a bigger name? So younger player means he's probably in his 20s or, at most, very early 30s. He's also very very good... that makes the list very long. 897385[/snapback] The words Selig used were "very young player." To me that probably means a minor leaguer but who knows? But to say very young player sounds like early 20's, and he didn't say anything about how good the player was.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.