Time to face facts

mva5580

This team is as good as GONE from the state of Florida. Now all of you Floridians can flame away at me all you want, but the quicker you accept reality makes it easier for you to move ahead. And don't come in here and accuse me of not being a Marlins fan because I've been one since day one of this franchise.

You can come in here and try to fish up (no pun intended) all the reasons you want that this team could stay in Florida, but it's pretty obvious it's just not gonna happen. There's no support for a new stadium, the fans down there don't give a s#@! until the team is in a playoff game, and oh by the way EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON THE TEAM IS ON THE TRADING BLOCK. Do you see other franchises work this way? Look at it. Delgado, Conine, Lowell, Pierre, A-Gon, LoDuca, Enc, Jones, Burnett, Moehler, Valdez, etc. There is a very realistic possibility that EVERY single player listed there will not be back with the team next year. It's a 65 million dollar payroll and Loria wants to CUT IT?! Why do you think that is? Because there is ZERO reason to increase payroll when he damn well knows that no one is gonna go to the games no matter who's out on the field. The Marlins had one of the most talented teams in all of baseball last year with some of the most exciting players to watch and still they don't draw jack at the home games. Would you like to be a fly on the wall when Loria is talking with Beinfest about the payroll plan of this team? Can you imagine the "kind" words they exchange about the "fans" of the state of Florida? And don't come back with that crap about "I'm a great fan, I've got season tickets." Well good job! That makes you what, 1 out of 20 people? Takes a little more than you and some of your internet message board buddies to keep a team a float.

To the realists on the board, I apologize for the rant because you know how this is all going to end. But for you blind faith people who actually believe this team still has a future in the state of Florida, WAKE UP. Go enjoy the team while you still can because they won't be there in 3 years. Count on it. Now go ahead, flame away. But remember this post when the team name isn't Marlins anymore.

Putting a litany of high salaried players on the block in order to get the best deal for one or two does not constitute a fire sale. It's called exploring your options to see the best way to rid some salary in order to remain competitive while also getting a maximum return in a trade.

If all of Delgado, Pierre, Lo Duca, Lowell, and even Castillo are traded, you can cry the F word.

I agree here that the untouchables are cabrera, beckett and willis and thats pretty much it. And i hate to say this but unless this team gets an owner with some serious $$ not like loria here, this team is good as gone. I love the fish but in about what 5 years they could be gone. No money and there is some good talent on this team but they cant contain that same talent every year. Once again unless some changes happen here the marlins are gonna suck and then there will no team in florida except tampa bay.

What is exactly is your purpose in saying all of that? Other than so that if and when the Marlins leave you can say I told you so -- like you're the only one who ever entertained the possibility.

You know your post is going to be read by a lot of people who have been through a lot with this team from Day One and are die-hard fans. So what is your point? To try and get people upset, angry, etc?

You know you're going to die, right? Count on it. You might as well start thinking about it now because it could be a long illness and you want to be mentally prepared. The quicker you accept reality the easier it will be. Start thinking now about what your funeral will be like. Not a great analogy but it's the same logic.

I am not an apologist nor do I suffer from blind faith. I just have to question someone who says "this team is as good as gone" followed by "enjoy the team while you can." Well, you know what, I've been doing just that for a very long time! There are no guarantees in life but how in the hell are you going to enjoy anything under a dark cloud of doom and gloom? I can't say for sure that I'm going to wake up in the morning but I sure as hell am not going to go to bed tonight thinking about it.

I don't believe Loria is cutting payroll while reducing the team's ability to win now. Nor do I believe he is preparing for a move out of state. Loria strikes me as a proud person who would sink every penny and every amount of effort he had to accomplish placing a championship team in a profitable ballpark - whether that team be the Marlins in South Florida or some other team or some other place.

Nonetheless there's work to be done by both sides. If only there were time.

What is exactly is your purpose in saying all of that? Other than so that if and when the Marlins leave you can say I told you so -- like you're the only one who ever entertained the possibility.

You know your post is going to be read by a lot of people who have been through a lot with this team from Day One and are die-hard fans. So what is your point? To try and get people upset, angry, etc?

You know you're going to die, right? Count on it. You might as well start thinking about it now because it could be a long illness and you want to be mentally prepared. The quicker you accept reality the easier it will be. Start thinking now about what your funeral will be like. Not a great analogy but it's the same logic.

I am not an apologist nor do I suffer from blind faith. I just have to question someone who says "this team is as good as gone" followed by "enjoy the team while you can." Well, you know what, I've been doing just that for a very long time! There are no guarantees in life but how in the hell are you going to enjoy anything under a dark cloud of doom and gloom? I can't say for sure that I'm going to wake up in the morning but I sure as hell am not going to go to bed tonight thinking about it.

Great post. :notworthy

Yeah, the Marlins probably won't be here long term as this is probably the worst baseball market in North America bar none. That said, I'm still going to support them while they are here and even when they wil eventually leave, even if they trade away every big name on the team. Kind of a grim reality but there is no need to dwell on it or point it out and it's definitely not going to deter me from being a Marlin fan. I'm going to be a Marlin fan forever even if the team name changes to the Portland Carunkles or Utah Mormons or whatever.

Yeah, the Marlins probably won't be here long term as this is probably the worst baseball market in North America bar none. That said, I'm still going to support them while they are here and even when they wil eventually leave, even if they trade away every big name on the team. Kind of a grim reality but there is no need to dwell on it or point it out and it's definitely not going to deter me from being a Marlin fan. I'm going to be a Marlin fan forever even if the team name changes to the Portland Carunkles or Utah Mormons or whatever.

good post.

Yeah, the Marlins probably won't be here long term as this is probably the worst baseball market in North America bar none.

First off this a bad sports market in general. S. FL is a bandwagon jumping town.

I view the original poster as a malcontent whose sole purpose is to stir up a hornets nest. No real value in the post.

If you take what has happened to Marlins and apply it to mostly any other city, the same results occur. From coming in as an expansion team, WS Champs to be ripped apart, then have MLB take away the allstar game, some view MLB allowing the O's to play Cuba as a slap in the face to the community. You'd have a hard time finding support elsewhere with the above conditions. John Henry drove away people when he claimed that JRS was a bad baseball stadium. Even if every game sold out, you can't make money in JRS. Do I condone the support? No, but I understand why it happens.

I support my teams win or lose. I'll support the Marlins as along as there are games played here.

Fact of the matter is, mva5580 is probably right. I don't know that the team will be gone in 3 years, but I just don't see them surviving down here. And I don't think his intent was to stir something or get people upset. He's a Marlin fan, who is obviously frustrated like the rest of us... I see nothing wrong with trying to accept reality now...

I hope he's wrong, as I'm sure he does... We need some sort of miracle. I remember when the Giants were as good as gone to St. Pete and they were saved. I'm praying that some miraculous thing happens for the Marlins as well.

MVA5580 IS actually trying to stir up sh*t , there is not one die-hard Marlins fan in here that would ever start a thread like this . Loria is a die-hard baseball fan, he is not going to put a team out there that he doesnt think is going to make it to the playoffs. As for the team moving , hey sh*t happens. Just like everyone else on this thread has said, except MVA, I will still be a Marlins fan to the End .

Funny. I actually am a die hard Marlins fan, and have been since the team was started. Trust me I remember Orestes Destrade playing first base and Bryan Harvey being the closer. So have whatever opinion you want, I could care less.

And I guess it's not possible to be a die hard fan of the team and honest at the same time? I guess being "die hard" also equals "blind faith." Live in whichever world you want to, I choose to live in reality. It's hard for me to be optimistic about the future of my team when they're trying to trade 95% of the players and play at home to a half full stadium.

Don't be afraid of reality.

My bottom line is sometimes I'm happy with the Marlins and sometimes I'm not. But I refuse to allow circumstances that are out of my control to spoil my appreciation of something I love so much. It's not easy being a Marlins fan but it's also been more incredibly rewarding than I ever dreamed it would be.

When you're at a game and your player hits a ball in the 9th inning of a tie game and you watch the centerfielder racing after it, it's like your heart stops. You are in the moment and time stands still. In that moment there are no financial issues. There are no steroids or corked bats. There are no dismantlings or threats of leaving. There is no payroll. You are not concerned about your personal problems, your job, the future, the past or the price of gas. When that ball just barely goes over the wall, you feel euphoric. This is why we watch and ride out the storms! Because this humbling game is so freakin' beautiful in it's purest form that no amount of outside issues can make it ugly.

So you keep watching even when it breaks your heart because that moment when time stands still and life is beautiful is worth it.

If the team leaves I will be extremely disappointed whether I wear the cloak of darkness 24 hrs. a day from now until then or not. So why die a thousand deaths?

For chicken little--learn to think for yourself. Contrary to what the front office would have people believe, not getting a new stadium and a slimmer payroll does not mean the team is gone.

The size of the media market is the primary reason why the Marlins won't be going anywhere; revenue from gate receipts (i.e. attendance) is the world's biggest red herring. Lackluster attendance, reported losses every year, and the status quo as far as a stadium is concerned are largely irrelevant considering the next biggest market without an MLB team is San Juan, Puerto Rico.

In fact, if I knew you in real life, I'd bet you a couple grand that the team will still be here a decade from now. This aint exactly the situation you saw in Montreal. :thumbup

For chicken little--learn to think for yourself. Contrary to what the front office would have people believe, not getting a new stadium and a slimmer payroll does not mean the team is gone.

The size of the media market is the primary reason why the Marlins won't be going anywhere; revenue from gate receipts (i.e. attendance) is the world's biggest red herring. Lackluster attendance, reported losses every year, and the status quo as far as a stadium is concerned are largely irrelevant considering the next biggest market without an MLB team is San Juan, Puerto Rico.

In fact, if I knew you in real life, I'd bet you a couple grand that the team will still be here a decade from now. This aint exactly the situation you saw in Montreal. :thumbup

Yep

MLB has said that they want a team in S. FL and they are not going to let them leave easily.

As I said in the secret meetings thread, it is a win win situation for both Huizinga and Loria to get a deal done.

Guest CHRISTYTOD

I agree that they will be hard-pressed to move this team out of South Florida. What I can see happening though if we don't get the stadium is that we will just become a team that grooms the young guys for the 'real' teams - a 'major league farm team' if you will. But I don't see our team leaving the area anytime soon.

Can we really blame Loria for not wanting to field a winning team every year with little fan support? How many of us are willing to eat those kind of losses (relative to our own lives of course) year after year? Not I! He's being/has been as patient and generous as one can possibly be in this situation in my opinion.